PDA

View Full Version : I-140 processing time

vali
10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
I apologize from the beginning if I’m asking some stupid questions but I’m really confused after I read all those I-140 issues posted on this forum.
I just received today my LC after a long wait in backlog from 04/2001.
1. My lawyer is asking me for $1000.00 premium processing fee and some documents from my employer for this PP for I-140. Is it still available?
2. How long will be until this I-140 gets approved? Anyone who did this lately?
3. I’m filling I-140 together with I-485. It matters, time PP wise?
4. Is there another”next step” towards the GC or just wait for those to be approved?
5. I’m so “squeezed” on my wallet, how much money will be still needed until the GC is in my hand?
I paid so far more then 35G. - The previous “steps” in processing fees and lawyer’s fees.

I would really appreciate some honest answers; I’m seriously thinking to go back to my country if the GC will be too far away.

Thank you guys for your attention and thanks IV for the good work done so far.
:)

amitjoey
10-23-2007, 12:57 PM
No question is stupid, we are all learning and there are always these complex and everchanging provisions. I-140 Premium is not available as of now. It could change anytime. Is $1000.00 Lawyers fees? for filing I-140? COs s/he cannot ask for PP fees. Go to USCIS home page to figure out what the I-140 and I-485 FEES are and add your lawyers fees to it to get an approximate total.
Depends on the center, Texas or Nebraska, I-140 approval takes anywhere between 2months and 14 months. Nebraska is taking 14 months.
With an older PD, you are very certain to get GC within the next 3-6 months if you do not get stuck in name check and if your I-140 gets cleared.
Do not lose hope.

I apologize from the beginning if I’m asking some stupid questions but I’m really confused after I read all those I-140 issues posted on this forum.
1. My lawyer is asking me for $1000.00 premium processing fee and some documents from my employer for this PP for I-140. Is it still available?
4. Is there another”next step” towards the GC or just wait for those to be approved?
5. I’m so “squeezed” on my wallet, how much money will be still needed until the GC is in my hand?
I paid so far more then 35G. - The previous “steps” in processing fees and lawyer’s fees.

I would really appreciate some honest answers; I’m seriously thinking to go back to my country if the GC will be too far away.

sapota
10-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Premium processing for I-140 has been suspended by USCIS. Ask your lawyer if he has read news lately.
I am sure quite a few people applied for I-140(I would guess around 150-200k) among the 320k people who filed these stages because of July VB fiasco. Looks like it will take an year just for I-140 approvals (We need to really observe USCIS trend & guidance after July VB fiasco
I am assuming your priority date is current. Again no PP for I-140.
I-485 is the final step.
It generally costs about $2k per applicant (multiply this by members of your family going to apply I-485 with you)for I-485 (lawyer + filing fees) & $1.5k for I-140(this is just for you not including Premium processing)
If your priority date stays current, my guess is that you are looking at another year or wait for your actual GC. But you would get interim benefits like EAD, AP, AC21 after you apply for I-485. google?
You are already 6 years & $35k in the hole. Want to save that investment or cut your losses. Personal opinion matters in that decision.

Welcome

immi_2006
10-23-2007, 01:23 PM
If you are worrying about your GC costs then file it on your own. Its very easy. I filed 485 on my own along with EAD and AP. I got my receipt numbers, EAD, FP. I guess 140 needs to be filed my employer with help of Attorney. Or you can file with help of your employer.(i am not sure on this)

vali
10-23-2007, 02:13 PM
No question is stupid, we are all learning and there are always these complex and everchanging provisions. I-140 Premium is not available as of now. It could change anytime. Is $1000.00 Lawyers fees? for filing I-140? COs s/he cannot ask for PP fees. Go to USCIS home page to figure out what the I-140 and I-485 FEES are and add your lawyers fees to it to get an approximate total.
Depends on the center, Texas or Nebraska, I-140 approval takes anywhere between 2months and 14 months. Nebraska is taking 14 months.
With an older PD, you are very certain to get GC within the next 3-6 months if you do not get stuck in name check and if your I-140 gets cleared.
Do not lose hope.
-------------------------------------

I'm sorry, few details.
Yes, the lawyer said that he will file to Nebraska.
One small detail I did not understand: PD-priority date- is about the PD when I filled for LC or will be another PD for this I-140?
About the fees:
U.S. Government Fee: I-140- $475.00
U.S. Government Fee: I-485 (includes I-765 and I-131) –$1010.00
U.S. Government Fee: I-485 (includes I-765 and I-131) –$1010.00 - wife.

the lawyer's fees are very high but I'm stuck and afraid to make changes at this last stage. I'm wrong?

amitjoey
10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
-------------------------------------

I'm sorry, few details.
Yes, the lawyer said that he will file to Nebraska.
One small detail I did not understand: PD-priority date- is about the PD when I filled for LC or will be another PD for this I-140?
About the fees:
U.S. Government Fee: I-140- $475.00
U.S. Government Fee: I-485 (includes I-765 and I-131) –$1010.00
U.S. Government Fee: I-485 (includes I-765 and I-131) –$1010.00 - wife.

the lawyer's fees are very high but I'm stuck and afraid to make changes at this last stage. I'm wrong?

PD: Date when you filed your labor. Stays throughout untill 485 is adjudicated.
Untill you get GC.
Processing time of 140 is based on when you file it.
I-140 Should be filed with Lawyers help (My advice) since the intent is to show that the employer has the financial muscle to keep paying you and it is really the employers petition. I-485 is your application to adjust status, and a lot of people have done it on their own without lawyers help.

vali
10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Thank you so much, I'm pretty clear now, I wish you good luck with your problems, it feels good to know that there still are nice people around.
Thanks again to you and IV.

tisha
11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi,
I actually have an O-1 non immigrant visa that will expire in about 6 months, I also have so many doubts, hope you can help me.
1. Do you know if I-140 Premium Processing is available for EB-1A (extraordinary ability immigrant alien) with an employment based petition?
2. If it is, can I file together the I-140 and I-485 (with premium processing)and does this will make the process faster or do you recommend to do them separately?
3. After filing the I-140 can I travel or do I need a special permission?
Thank you very much for your help