PDA

View Full Version : MI Chapter Activity - Secure Trusted eGroup formation

walking_dude
10-23-2007, 01:03 PM
I have created this thread to communicate and track MI chapter activities on creation of eGroups to serve the needs of the MI chapter

1) Data on 10/20 meet has been compiled and documented. Minutes of the Meeting will be provided to the attendees soon through a secure eGroup (files/document section)

2) Work in progress to provide a secure, trusted E-group which provides the best features available to our community. Pilot groups have been created in Yahoo and Google to study the features, ease of use and ease of management (for the mods).

Results so far

Google
---------
Pros :

1) New.
2) Has stacked thread view similar to Gmail.
3) Ease of use (not much functionality to confuse users).
4) Supports HTML pages and also commenting on those pages. Google search available to search the threads.
5) New, hence not blocked in many offices ( esp mine :))

Cons :

1) Buggiest of the three! (I created a 'Restricted' group. None of the links are working)
2) Key features such a Polls, Database missing.
3) Limited management options.

Yahoo
---------

Pros :

1) Stable
2) Lots of management options. Powerful
3) Powerful member features - Polls, Database

Cons:

1) Old/dated
2) Text only ( unless you send E-mails externally)
3) Options could be overwhelming to a new user!
4) Blocked in many offices ( E-mails can still be received. Other features like Polls, Database need to be accessed from home)

Right now, per my experience so far - Yahoo seems the best option. Let me know your ideas.

And once we decide on a platform

1) I need 2-3 days to setup the group to meet groups needs and expectations.
2) MI meet attendees will be sent invitations to join the group.
3) Others who responded to the Meet invitation but couldn't attend will be contacted to check if they wish to join the group
4) MI chapter eGroups successfully launched!

cagedcactus
10-23-2007, 07:31 PM
we probably should look for the best fit option... If the website offers flexibility with availability, thats the way we should go.
You are doing a great job, WD.
Once we have the structure set, and people engaging in several crucial areas, we will have a better idea about what fits better...

bestin
10-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Appreciate your dedication WD/CC.I am kind of busy this week.Will get back to u this weekend.

chanduv23
10-23-2007, 09:50 PM
walking_dude, cagedcactus and bestin

you guys are a terrific trio

nogc_noproblem
10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks Vivek (Walking_Dude) for taking effort and arranging this. Nice meeting all of you at Troy.

Interestingly, when we got introduced our self I found that couple of guys are from my apartment complex where I live for the past three years but never met them before. Another two guys from nearby apartments which are in walk able distance.

It is for sure that the State Chapters are good networking opportunity for everybody. Definitely it will help each of us one or the other way. Let us keep it going.

walking_dude
10-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Guys, I couldn't reply to you all earlier , here, as I was busy with my job and personal chores.

Let's settle for Yahoo now, as it has powerful features such as Polls and Database that aren't available in Google. Also the Google group created by me has gone into 'La-La land' ( google bugs!)

Here's our new Secure and Trusted Yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ivmi

Here's the latest

1) We are getting our group registered as Official on IV (details sent to IV)

2) News from IV on Legislative updates issues will be posted on the group this weekend (10/20 attendees, be sure to join by then)

3) Some 10/20 Attendees to the meet have been added directly to the group. Others have been sent invites ( Yahoo restricts direct add to 10 per day). Please join ASAP. Let me know if there are any issues [ PM/'Private Message' or E-mail me]. I'll help you get joined.

4) Others, please provide the following details while requesting to join the group.

A) FULL NAME
B) IV handle (N/A for non-members)
C) Telephone [ we'll call you. No request to join will be accepted without Telephone number]
D) City and Zip Code + 4

We will call you to verify and then your request will be accepted. We regret the inability to accomodate anonymous requesters, as we wish to keep our group Secure and Trusted for the purpose of dissemination of sensitive IV information. Your co-operation to make this happen is greatly appreciated.

walking_dude
10-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Full credits belong to CagedCactus who took the initiative to call the meet, chose the venue and time, brought snacks and coffee to the meet. And also to Bestin who drove all the way from Lansing to be with us.

It was nice to touch-base with some of the DC rally veterans and share our experience. And also to discover some neighbors :)

State chapter meets are a nice opportunity to meet people and build your network - which may prove very useful to you in the future. People who skip the meets don't know what they're missing.

Thanks again to you and everyone that attended.

Thanks Vivek (Walking_Dude) for taking effort and arranging this. Nice meeting all of you at Troy.

Interestingly, when we got introduced our self I found that couple of guys are from my apartment complex where I live for the past three years but never met them before. Another two guys from nearby apartments which are in walk able distance.

It is for sure that the State Chapters are good networking opportunity for everybody. Definitely it will help each of us one or the other way. Let us keep it going.

cagedcactus
10-31-2007, 12:58 PM
For those who are new to the forums, please contact Walking_dude to sign up for an active membership in Michigan chapter. We all need to join hands and go to work. We have core members standing behind us, ready to back us up on various issues regarding backlogs and other immigration issues.
Help us help yourselves.....
Rise now, its now or never....

chintu25
10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Good job guys ...I am back was busy with some office mess that is now cleared . I am all in and active as ever .

walking_dude
10-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Everyone,

Please provide your First Name, Last Name, Telephone Number, E-mail id (Yahoo). We will call you and let you in ( requests without Telephone numbers will not be approved)

Here's the link to MI Chapter Yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ivmi

We can end this GC mess Together

cagedcactus
11-01-2007, 09:07 AM
WD many thanks for arranging yesterday's meeting. Truly informative and very much helpful.
I thank the core on behalf of Michigan group, and truly appreciate the time they are putting into this.
We will not let you down. we will fight at local level until this monster is brought down.
Those who havent joined yet, please do so right now. Do it for yourself, and your family.

walking_dude
11-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Members from MI, please join your state chapter.

Thank You.