PDA

View Full Version : time to process gc for a spouse

theOne
05-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I have a green card, I plan on getting married. What would be the approximate time to get a green card processed for my future wife ? I am originally from India.

Thank you.

harrydr
05-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Wait time for spouse to get a green card as a derivative from you would be apporximately 5 years since you already have your green card now. the best option is to wait for to get your US citizenship and them apply for your spouse and in that case the max. wait time os only 3-6 months. Hoep this helps.

vegasbaby
05-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Better option would be to get her to US on any non-immigrant visa. Get your citizenship & file for her GC.

reddyram
08-18-2010, 11:19 PM
I am in similar situation. If she comes here and we get married "new" and I am GC Holder can she get a GC too ( provided PD is current ) OR I have to wait till I become Citizen and then file ....
I am too confused..

sshekar
08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
As far as I know, the 5 year wait period was until a couple years ago when the family based GC was backlogged. I got married in 2004 and had to wait until 2008 to file for GC, when my husband got his citizenship. At that time, our attorney advised this as the best course, since the priority dates were about 5 years out.
Filing for spouse falls under 2A of the family sponsored GC and currently the priority date for 2A India is 01 Jan 2010. In my estimation, you should get a GC within 12-18 mths.
But then again, I am not an attorney - so please consult one to validate this information.
Hope this helps.