PDA

View Full Version : Take a break 6 months after recieving GC?

mdmd10
05-11-2010, 07:22 PM
If one has already recieved their Green Card and been working with the same employer who sponsered their Green card, for 6 months, can they then leave the employer and take a break for another 6 months?

Is it necessary to be working always if one has recieved an employment based Green Card?

AllVNeedGcPc
05-12-2010, 08:55 AM
My colleague went to India for 6 months after getting his GC, and has been just chilling out here for more than a year now.

You are a free bird once you have GC, just shouldn't be out of the country for more than 180 days in a year for tax purposes..

rb_248
05-12-2010, 10:05 AM
If going out of the country for a long time as a GC holder, you may need to apply for travel document (returning resident ????) with USCIS.
Long Term = > 3 months ?? (may want to check with an attorney)

mdmd10
05-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

Actually I wanted to know if one doesn't go out of the country and stays back in the US, and remains unemployed for whatever reason for say 6 month or more- medical, personal etc or perhaps just take a break.

rb_248
05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

Actually I wanted to know if one doesn't go out of the country and stays back in the US, and remains unemployed for whatever reason for say 6 month or more- medical, personal etc or perhaps just take a break.

As long as you have things to explain when you are up for naturalization. I know some who quit their jobs a few months after getting GC to go back to school.