PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Chapter Meeting 10/20/07(Sat) in Troy, MI

cagedcactus
10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Rise now.... its time to fight the unfair system. Its now or never. Do it for yourself. Do it for your spouses and children. Do it for the fellow countrymen.... Do it for every skilled immigrant who is suffering due to pathetic backlogs.... Meeting place and time listed here.....[/COLOR]

IV MI chapter Meet
Location : Troy Recreation Center, Troy ( Livernois b/n Big Beaver and Wattles)

Address :
3179 Livernois,
Troy, MI 48083

Time : 10:00 am sharp on 20th October( no ISTs)

Agenda : Discuss future actions - Lawmaker meetings, publicity campaign, getting attorneys to answer GC questions pro bono etc.

Confirmed are :

cagedcactus
walking_dude
vs116
amitga
swamy
oldschool
Alien
Curious_Techie
nogc_noproblem
bestin
new_horizon
lakewalker
GCcomesoon
chintu25
miapplicant
Junky
tamoul
ajobha

Maybe:
FinalGC, Kumar, Lakewalker.

cagedcactus
10-03-2007, 04:13 PM
/\/\/\/\

chanduv23
10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Come on folks in Michigan - please join your state chapter.

chanduv23
10-03-2007, 06:25 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

walking_dude
10-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm in.

simon
10-03-2007, 08:19 PM
where in MI

swamy
10-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Someone suggested even joining the illinois chapter - maybe thats the way to if there aren't many here

cagedcactus
10-04-2007, 11:29 AM
the problem will be meeting venues and times if we join illinois. we do have ton of H1 people here who are on same boat. Lets try to rally them in.....
I am calling all my friends....
Please keep posting here. Lets target the date 10-20-07. We will meet on that day. We will go over the game plan and decide what comes next.

I live in Sterling heights. Please post where you are at, and once we know all, we will decide a centerpoint for everyone to meet.

walking_dude
10-04-2007, 12:18 PM
10/20 is fine with me. Another IV member vs116 has agreed to attend it along with me.

I would prefer - Troy, Rochester, Royal Oak , Sterling Heights, Madison Heights, Utica etc. as long as it's agreeable to the majority. I think we should go by majority of participants.

the problem will be meeting venues and times if we join illinois. we do have ton of H1 people here who are on same boat. Lets try to rally them in.....
I am calling all my friends....
Please keep posting here. Lets target the date 10-20-07. We will meet on that day. We will go over the game plan and decide what comes next.

I live in Sterling heights. Please post where you are at, and once we know all, we will decide a centerpoint for everyone to meet.

akhilmahajan
10-04-2007, 12:21 PM
To get more visibility change the title to JOIN MI STATE CHAPTER.

Administrators please change the thread title, otherwise it wont the targetted purpose.

walking_dude
10-04-2007, 12:55 PM
IMO we should first try to form a local chapter. If that doesn't work try to combine forces with nearby states like IN, OH, IL etc. to form "Mid West" Chapter ( like New England and Tri-Sate Chapters).

Co-ordination with IL chapter will be critical for us (and others too) in the coming days as Mr. "anti-legal immigration" Durbin is the senator there. We need to start acting - NOW - to convince him to drop anti-immigrant measures such as "barring H1Bs from consulting business"; instead of waiting on him to introduce his "Prevention of H1 & L1 Fraud Act" (and discuss it on IV ad nauseam without making the slightest impact)

Someone suggested even joining the illinois chapter - maybe thats the way to if there aren't many here

amitga
10-04-2007, 01:29 PM
10/20 is fine with me. Another IV member vs116 has agreed to attend it along with me.

I would prefer - Troy, Rochester, Royal Oak , Sterling Heights, Madison Heights, Utica etc. as long as it's agreeable to the majority. I think we should go by majority of participants.

I am in for MI chapter. I live in Troy.

cagedcactus
10-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Yes, good idea..... Lets go local first, find as many hands as possible, and then we can go wider.....

Folks please mention where are you from, and place of interest for meeting.

So far we have Troy, sterling heights, Utica, Royal oak and etc...

swamy
10-04-2007, 02:17 PM
any where in metro detroit is fine with me

oldschool
10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Please provide further info. I'm in.

bestin
10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I am in .I live in lansing.

anilsal
10-04-2007, 03:09 PM
He was handling MI chapter.

walking_dude
10-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm sure he'll join. There are a few more DC rally veterans like newhorizon and Iv2007 (I guess). Guys, where art thou?

Are you the same Anil I met outside the Washington Monument with a chinese lady? I guess you are as you told us about your Gandhi signature then.

He was handling MI chapter.

amitga
10-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Lets start spreading word that MI chapter meeting on 10/20.

walking_dude
10-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Put a message in MI India ( a site visited by lots of Indians in MI)

http://www.viaindia.com/apps/forums/open.aspx?ID=893925&mid=19

Keep it at the top by posting replies

Also put an Announcement (Free Ad) ( Deleted by MI India)

http://www.viaindia.com/apps/ads/details.aspx?ID=192251&MID=18&CAT=Announcements

Add more Announcements

walking_dude
10-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Also in Detroit India

http://www.detroitindia.com/fpdb/Discussion/ImmigrationGowda/Discussdetail.asp?Id=341

Keep it active by posting comments

chanduv23
10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Also in Detroit India

http://www.detroitindia.com/fpdb/Discussion/ImmigrationGowda/Discussdetail.asp?Id=341

Flyers are ready - we can post flyers

walking_dude
10-04-2007, 05:19 PM
They don't allow unpaid Commercial Advertising on these sites. Posting IV flyers can be construed as Commercial, even though IV itself is non-profit. I don't want them to ban my IP!

I think the best approach is to provide links to IV posts/forums, to drive the traffic here.

Flyers are ready - we can post flyers

walking_dude
10-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Wake up and roar, "Tigers" and "Lions" of Detroit. Unfurl your "Red Wings" and pump up yours "Pistons".

... actually join us for a meet, greet and eat :D

bestin
10-04-2007, 09:18 PM
only 6 so far?comeon guys.seems Mi guys are all GC holders already?:D

siravi
10-04-2007, 10:20 PM
See if you can post a flyer in the Ann Arbor Indian foods store (Foods of India) near the medical capus. The one in Canton (forgot the name-- the one where they sell bhel) is also a hot spot for folks working around Ann-Arbor/Detroit areas. There is one more Indian store on Packard further up north (in Ann Arbor) Owner is a VERY FRIENDLY guy and very well connected (his connections helped in selling my car, find a subletter...!). He's alway open to flyers and such.

I have spread the word to some I know in MI, hopefully they'll respond. Good luck!

-An ex-Wolverine!

Alien
10-04-2007, 10:22 PM
I live in Auburn Hills. Let me know.

Curious_Techie
10-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Folks I am in, I live in Madison Heights. I beleive Troy should be the best option

Attended Rally

amitga
10-04-2007, 11:30 PM
I think for first meeting 10-12 are enough. Let us meet and decide upon the strategy to have more people. I would prefer not to have lot of people in the first meeting.

cagedcactus
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Ok so we have a place in mind?
I suggest Troy. It will be center to all?
On 10-20 at 10:00 Am we can meet at Troy recreation center. This is on Livernois road, between Big beaver and 17 mile(wattles).

Or if you have more fitting place in mind, please suggest.
All that can make it, please update your personal information on your account here.

chanduv23
10-05-2007, 08:29 AM
I think for first meeting 10-12 are enough. Let us meet and decide upon the strategy to have more people. I would prefer not to have lot of people in the first meeting.

Never say that. We need everyone. This discourages those who are on the fence.

I am saying this by experience - being a non profit and no obligation group - many people who want to do something - are just sitting on the fence finding it tough to decide whether to make the jump or not - a very good example is the rally. Most people just wanted to see how the response is and then jump in.

Every member in IV is a very crucial member - everyone has skills that he/she can contribute so just get as many people as possible - keep them intact - this is very essential. If people start backing out - others will lose morale. And slowly people will stop showing interest and when something drastic happens everyone will start blaming IV for not doing its job and will ask IV for doing fast actions.

We worked extremely hard to build the Tri State team so did California folks and other folks are catching up - it involves a lot of hard work and you will be constantly attacked by people for no fault of yours, but it is very essential that you keep up the tempo and morale - patience and perseverence is the key here for building the team. Aggression and passion must be combined to lead something.

At Tri State we recongize everyone. Everyone in this area have worked extremely hard with a lot of dedication and commitment - words will not be enough to describe their commitment. A lot of people say - Tri State was a let down for the rally - but in reality - as we have seen 1500+ members, a lot of people drove over in the last minute from Tri State Area.

It takes a lot to build a team. So get as many people as possible involved.

Come on my dear Michigan folks - Ford and Chrysler must give us atleast 10,000 members. Please wake up from your slumber. People sitting on the fence must jump right now. yes, this is the time - just join us. Help IV to help yourselves

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Troy is fine with me. Unless someone has a pressing reason (other than geographical location) lets stick to the time and venue.

Please update the first post with venue and timings in big and bold letters ( I used 'Arial Black', Size 5, Bold below)

IV MI Meet
Address : 3179 Livernois, Troy, MI 48083 ( courtesy Google)
Time : 10:00 am sharp ( no ISTs)
Agenda : Discuss future actions - Lawmaker meetings, publicity campaign, getting attorneys to answer GC questions pro bono etc.

Ok so we have a place in mind?
I suggest Troy. It will be center to all?
On 10-20 at 10:00 Am we can meet at Troy recreation center. This is on Livernois road, between Big beaver and 17 mile(wattles).

Or if you have more fitting place in mind, please suggest.
All that can make it, please update your personal information on your account here.

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Amit:

I understand your concerns that if there's a huge crowd, nothing will come out of it, in all the din created by the crowd and everyone throwing their suggestions.

Right now the question is hypothetical as we don't have a overwhelming confirmations of 100+! Even a crowd of 25 is okay, if we can reach that number. Since this is the first ever MI level meet, I will be surprised (and happy too) if we cross 25-30.

If it's 100+ a new level of pre-planning will be necessary. Our leaders ( cagedcatcus? chintu25?) will need to book a hall, set a clear and focused agenda (so that we don't lose focus), get IV core to address us by telephone/speaker phones, they can even persuade an Immigration attorney (trying to reach out to future clients) to address our questions etc.. It will be a different ball game! It can be handled effectively without limiting numbers.

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I PMed following MI IV veterans to join us

IV2007
new_horizon
chintu25
psgprasad

Hope to see you guys at the meeting

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Story so far ( will get updated as story progresses)

Confirmed

cagedcactus
walking_dude
vs116
amitga
swamy
oldschool
Alien
Curious_Techie
nogc_noproblem (added)
bestin (updated)
new_horizon (added - confirmed through PM)
lakewalker (added)
GCcomesoon (added)

Waiting confirmation

IV2007
chintu25
psgprasad

Others, please come forward and join us

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler. ( Let the good times roll)

nogc_noproblem
10-05-2007, 12:04 PM
I am from Auburn Hills, Date: 10/20; Location: Troy Recreation Center; Time: 10.00 am; ok to me.

Count me in...

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
You are most welcome to join us. Try to get a friend or two along with you.

We can do it together

I am from Auburn Hills, Date: 10/20; Location: Troy Recreation Center; Time: 10.00 am; ok to me.

Count me in...

FinalGC
10-05-2007, 01:16 PM
I live in Lansing. However, I am out of town on 10/20. Can we have another option if it is not too much hassle for all of you?

Another note- Troy will be very far for people in Lansing, Grand rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek and Jackson. If a place like Farmington Hills or Novi is selected, it would be easier for people from the West side to come. Food for thought.

GCcomesoon
10-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi

I like in Farmington hills area, I would like to join our chapter & any meetings related to our immigration group.

Thanks
GCcomesoon
Priority date - 05/2003
140 approved - 10/2006 from TSC
485,131,765 RD-6/04/2007 at TSC, notices received - 06/07/2007
CA, EB2
Wife's case returned due to some error,send it again & received on 06/17/2007 as per Fedex
Wife's case RD- 7/10/2007

LUD in my case - I131 - 7/10/07, approved - 7/24/07
LUD in my case - 1131,485,765, - 7/11/07
LUD in spouse's case - I131-7/11/07
EAD cleared for spouse - 08/20/07
FP for spouse - 08/08/07 , I rescheduled it.
FP scheduled - 10/03/07 - Done
AP approved for spouse - 09/12/07

Still waiting for my EAD & FP.

bestin
10-05-2007, 01:56 PM
WD,i dont have problems with driving.I will come unless i have some last minute official breakdown calls on 19th at a different state.

GCcomesoon
10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi

So when are we meeting finally ? Whats the schedule

Thanks
GCcomesoon

lakewalker
10-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I would prefer somewhere closer to Flint.

lakewalker
10-05-2007, 04:53 PM
I plan to come but what is the street address of the recreation area?

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 09:12 PM
It's important to hold the meeting soon as IV core is planning major actions in the coming days. It's highly critical to get organized ASAP without any further delay. There'll be future meetings soon, if there are major actions planned in coming days. Those who miss the event (due to unavoidable circumstances) can attend future meetings which can be held in Farmington Hills, Novi, Flint etc. based on participation.

I have no issues driving to Novi, Farmington Hills, Novi or Lansing for that matter. When I can go all the way to DC, I can drive anywhere in MI to attend the meeting. The idea behind choosing Troy is that majority of participants need not travel long distance to accomodate one or two members. As of now majority is from Oakland County. If it turns out that majority is from Lansing, Flint, Canton... wherever, I'll drive down there.

There's no need to feel left out if any are from far off places (Lansing etc.) and can't drive down to Troy. You can participate by calling the cell numbers of the participants (if any of you PM me, I can give mine). However, members living nearby need to appear in person (cell-phone participation will not be entertained)

I live in Lansing. However, I am out of town on 10/20. Can we have another option if it is not too much hassle for all of you?

Another note- Troy will be very far for people in Lansing, Grand rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek and Jackson. If a place like Farmington Hills or Novi is selected, it would be easier for people from the West side to come. Food for thought.

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 09:16 PM
3179 Livernois
Troy, MI 48083

I plan to come but what is the street address of the recreation area?

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
There'll be a rollcall :p

----------------------------------------------

Story so far ( will get updated as story progresses)

Confirmed - 14

cagedcactus
walking_dude
vs116
amitga
swamy
oldschool
Alien
Curious_Techie
nogc_noproblem (added)
bestin (updated)
new_horizon (added - confirmed through PM)
lakewalker (added)
GCcomesoon (added)
chintu25 (added)

Waiting confirmation/May be - 3( help us reach 15 and above)

IV2007

psgprasad
simon
FinalGC

Others, please come forward and join us ( help us reach 15 and above )

bestin
10-05-2007, 09:45 PM
If any one is just thinking of transportation from lansing i can help .

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Bestin, you Da Man.

Guys from Lansing, transportation is available (courtesy bestin). Others from distant places can also carpool.

If any one is just thinking of transportation from lansing i can help .

bestin
10-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Bestin, you Da Man.

Guys from Lansing, transportation is available (courtesy bestin). Others from distant places can also carpool.
:D. limited to 4 more.:D.first come first serve basis.put in ur requests here.

walking_dude
10-05-2007, 10:02 PM
That should be okay. Right now there are only 3-4 potential participants from Lansing - including you :) . If there are more they can carpool amongst themselves.

Thanks for the help

:D. limited to 4 more.:D.first come first serve basis.put in ur requests here.

chintu25
10-06-2007, 10:03 PM
i am in and will volunteer arrangements .......

kumar_77
10-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Hello Members ,

Is there any one living in and around Grand Rapids ?? Please mail me

thanks

kumar

walking_dude
10-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Sam,

Now that you've joined us our enthusiasm has doubled. May be you and cagedcactus can co-ordinate to book the center for meeting ? ( if any reservations are needed)

I'm trying to get some more prospective IV members. I'm sure we'll have a decent turnout this time :)

i am in and will volunteer arrangements .......

walking_dude
10-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Kumar,

Are you attending 10/20 meeting at Troy Community Center (Troy) at 10:00 am [ Details are published else where in this thread]?

Also, chintu25 (sam) was looking for someone from Grand Rapids to talk to local (Grand Rapids) media reporter interested in doing a story on EB GC wait period. You should contact him and use this opportunity to highlight our issue and the way we have come together as 'Immigration Voice' to change the situation through lobbying and grassroots-level action

Hello Members ,

Is there any one living in and around Grand Rapids ?? Please mail me

thanks

kumar

walking_dude
10-07-2007, 11:45 AM
CagedCactus / Chintu25,

Get our chapter registered at the Registrar of State Chapters (through Paskal?).

http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=72&Itemid=52

cagedcactus
10-08-2007, 08:16 AM
I have updated the front post to reflect our meeting information.
Now lets start on the game plan.

We would need some help from our leaders here..... what are the crucial topics that shall be discussed, and who are the people in state that we should target?

I think, calling our senetors and possibly arranging a meeting with them would be on our top of the list. But lets meet and discuss first to decide what points shall be covered, and what shall be avoided....etc...

FinalGC
10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Can somebody post the exact logistics (location address, time etc....). I would love to come, so put my name under MAYBE category. If in the last minute my plans get changed (not in my control unfortunately), I will come on my own from Lansing......

walking_dude
10-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Here's the venue, time etc. which has been put up in the beginning of the thread. I'm also PMing you.

IV MI chapter Meet

I will put you under may be! Hope to see you at the meeting

Can somebody post the exact logistics (location address, time etc....). I would love to come, so put my name under MAYBE category. If in the last minute my plans get changed (not in my control unfortunately), I will come on my own from Lansing......

walking_dude
10-08-2007, 01:03 PM
As far as IV core/leadership is concerned, IV has standard "Talking Points" which were given to volunteers for "Meet the law-makers" event during DC Rally. Also there is a decent FAQ and guide on Lawmaker meetings. You can try to arrange a weekend conference call with IV core ( paskal or pappu) too. Chintu25 (sam) has experience in this matter (he setup the last call)

Here's something from my end, to get the discussion started so that we have some concrete agenda for 10/20. It would also help participants to come ready with their ideas. It's also something we can do from our end, instead of waiting for leadership to come to our rescue!

1) Introductions - each member introduces himself/herself briefly, describes his/her GC journey, his/her concerns, expectations from IV and what could make them active participants in the grassroots movements, how can they contribute to IV in membership drive, meet the press, meet the lawmakers, funding etc.

Idea is to comeup with a SWAT anaylis. Identify our collective strengths, challenges and areas for improvement.

Here are somethings that can be planned

a) If someone has good media contacts, he/she can setup meetings with news reporter, others with compelling stories like 6-7 years wait after applying GC, children aging out etc. can volunteer to talk on behalf of IV.

b) If someone has contact with Senators, Congressmen etc. they can be pivotal in setting up meetings. A person with strong communication skills and marketing skills can volunteer to present the facts and sell our case in the meetings. It's very important that whoever presents our case does it effectively as our case needs a hardsell

c) Guys who volunteer/have contacts at temples, mosques, churches, gurudwaras, schools, colleges, libraries etc. can pull strings to get us space in the announcement boards. Others can print out the material and actually go and post those flyers at the designated places.

.... and so on. By sharing work we can share the burden and achieve more than what's possible acting individually. It's important that we know each other to comeup with such ideas for collaboration

2) Publicity Campaign/Membership Drive - I need not stress the importance of these. Here's something we need to do at the meetings

a) Divide the areas between members. This will avoid duplication, redundancy [ two members posting at the same grocery store etc.].

Somebody please get a MI map! We will mark area for each member to cover. We will know which areas are well-served and under-served. Volunteers from Well-served areas can adopt some of the nearby under-served areas. Or we call give a holler here say - " we need someone from Armada"

b) Set concrete weekly/monthly targets for each member like I will do 5 groceries which are ABC,XYZ, ... next weekend. As each volunteer meets the target, he/she reports to the publicity campaign co-ordinator (yes, we need a co-ordinator too!). Data is compiled and presented month-end ( yahoo groups, teleconferencing) so we know if we met our self-targets - how much's done, how much remains to be done, why some targets were missed, lessons learnt, how to avoid next time etc.

3) Real Grassroots campaign - Lawmaker meetings need not only target Congressmen/women. Remember, the letter Gov. Schwarnegger and 13 others wrote to US Congress? Governors and local politicians can influence too.

We can target local politicians - state senators, Governor etc. We can try to persuade them to write letters to Congressmen/women supporting our cause. Congressmen/women do depend on these local politicians to win the elections. If they write letters it will carry more wait than our letters, they also may be easier to persuade with our contacts than top-tier politicians like Senators. Instead of concentrating at the top, we can try the 'bottom up' approach in-addition to 'Meet Congressmen' campaigns.

Some plans can be drawnup during the meeting. Again we need to set targets, monitor and analyze progress, come up with corrective action etc.

4) Funding Drive - Show me the money :)

We'll need to come out with a Contribution/Financial plan.

a) How each one of us contributing/plans to contribute to IV annually? We need to tally the figures to come up with State-level contributions which should be communicated with the IV core.

b) Financial targets/commitments need to be setup at IV national and state chaper levels. We cannot totally depend on IV core to run ads in local papers for e.g. If it takes $1000 for e.g. it may not be possible for one or two persons (the so-called leaders) to bear the whole burden, however if we can share it like $100 x 10 or $50 x 20 it help further our cause. TRANSPARENCY at local-level is a must to gain members confidence. So we need to budget, execute, spend and report the spending ( amongst contributors only, others please excuse)

c) It will also help setup the level-of-support that the State chapter, IV core can provide to members. In case help at USCIS HQ level, Ombudsman-level etc. are needed in his/her case a non-contributing member cannot expect the same service as a member contributing his/her mite to the campaigns.

The contributions need not only be financial. If someone's unable to contribute significantly financially, they should make it up by volunteering for other activity.

5) Identify the local Leadership Team - Since we are all volunteers here with full-time jobs, it's impossible for one person to handle the co-ordination, monitoring, reporting (to members and core) activities. A leadership team needs to be identified to share the burden.

Leaders need to understand that they are the public face of IV in Michigan. It's expected they take a lead in all local activities, and will be speaking to media, co-ordinating between IV core and chapter members. They need to be open to phone calls, and in a position to answer member queries on a timely fashion (otherwise members will lose faith in the local chapter and the movement will die)

Leadership team will publish a monthly action plan, targets, results of last month etc. complementing with IV national-level action items and plans.

6) Localized talking points to Senators - Since our Democratic Senators keep countering our cause with issues such as Workers (read American Workers protection) and Amnesty, we need to come up with solutions based on previous experience.

In addition to IV talking points, we can also talk about -

1) Protecting Workers by removing job-restrictions on Employer, Job-level, salary-level etc. to GC applicants. How this will help American workers too.

2) Impact of GC applicants immigrating to Windsor (Canada) on Michigan economy. Loss of state taxes, losses to grocery stores, electronic stores causing loss of jobs etc.

3) Michigan is facing a labor-crisis as most young people in MI are moving to greener pastures in search of better opportunities. This has resulted in jobs moving out of Michigan, reluctance of new businesses to enter MI etc. due to non-availabilty of local resources ( We can show some press reports to prove our point)

Only way to counter labor-attrition is to attract and retain Immigrant workers. Immigrant workers will only relocate and work in MI, if MI is perceived as an Immigrant-friendly state. Senators office can take the lead in positioning MI as an attractive destination for Immigrant labor. If successful this campaign can reverse job loss and reinvigorate Michigan economy.
I've posted my ideas to get the discussion started. Others, please share your ideas too.

Now lets start on the game plan.

We would need some help from our leaders here..... what are the crucial topics that shall be discussed, and who are the people in state that we should target?

I think, calling our senetors and possibly arranging a meeting with them would be on our top of the list. But lets meet and discuss first to decide what points shall be covered, and what shall be avoided....etc...

walking_dude
10-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Pour encourager les autres ( to encourage others)

IV MI Meet
Date : 10/20

amitga
10-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Please include the Date also.

Pour encourager les autres ( to encourage others)

IV MI Meet

walking_dude
10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Oops... my bad. Thanks for pointing it out. Date now included in my last post

Please include the Date also.

walking_dude
10-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I posted a public event on 'Detroit India' listing for IV MI meet. Event posting has been approved and I've updated the listing to reflect current venue, timings, address etc.

http://www.detroitindia.com/detroitindia/events/events.asp

It's linked to in their home page - http://www.detroitindia.com/Default.asp

On the other hand MI India has deleted the announcement on their website :mad:

walking_dude
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Nous pouvons le faire ensemble (we can do it together)

chanduv23
10-09-2007, 11:34 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

walking_dude
10-09-2007, 12:43 PM
IV MI Meet

Confirmed - 15

cagedcactus
walking_dude
vs116
amitga
swamy
oldschool
Alien
Curious_Techie
nogc_noproblem
bestin
new_horizon
lakewalker
GCcomesoon
chintu25
miapplicant

Waiting confirmation/May be - 3( help us reach 16 and above)

IV2007

psgprasad
simon
FinalGC

Others, please come forward and join us ( help us reach 16 and above )

chanduv23
10-09-2007, 06:35 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

walking_dude
10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Répondez s'il vous plaît. (please respond)

miapplicant
10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
My spouse & I can make it to Troy.

cagedcactus
10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
great then, we welcome you to the group.
Lets collect as many as possible, then we can do a final count.

It seems that if we are in ballpark of 20, we will meet at the community center. With grace, if we are more, we can modify the place a bit.

I am glad to see the responses.... lets spread the words...... bring co workers and friends whoare stuck too....

cagedcactus
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Ok so here is the update on the list so far.

Confirmed are :
Cagedcactus, Walkingdude, Simon, Swamy, Chintu25, Amitga, Bestin, Janisal, Siravi, Alien, Curious techie, noGc noProblem, GCcomesoon, miapplicant.

Maybe:
FinalGC, Kumar, Lakewalker.

If you see your name here in correct catagory, you may confirm.

If you dont see your name in this list, please post and confirm.

If you change your status from Maybe to Confirmed, please post.

Lets keep the thread alive and kicking so we can recruit more people.

I understand that we have friends in Lansing and Flint and elsewhere. Troy is the centerpoint right now, because we have more folks in the area. we will change the location for next meetings upon a common vote in first meeting.
If you cant attend, doesnt mean you are not active and useful. You are very much an important part of this. Once we get comfortable with each other, and place name to the faces, we can have meetings over the phone, and be able to communicate that way too....

If you are able to bring a friend or co worker, who is not a member here, just mention it in your post. We can talk to them about becoming a member here at the meeting.

walking_dude
10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
There are many here (on IV forums) who question if Lobbying and Grassroots efforts really works. It they didn't, we wouldn't be here!

Read the following article on early Indian Immigrants and their miserable conditions before 1946. How they overcame the racist/xenophobic labor groups opposition through lobbying and grassroots efforts and became citizens.

http://www.sikhspectrum.com/082006/citizen.htm

Read the article, become motivated, join MI chapter. Together we shall prevail

oldschool
10-10-2007, 01:04 PM
IV MI Meet

Confirmed - 15

cagedcactus
walking_dude
vs116
amitga
swamy
oldschool
Alien
Curious_Techie
nogc_noproblem
bestin
new_horizon
lakewalker
GCcomesoon
chintu25
miapplicant

IV2007

psgprasad
simon
FinalGC

I am very sorry but I will not be able to make it on the 20th. I was informed by my Indian friend that he will get married on the same day at Troy too. Talking about coincidence. Anyway, I wish the Michigan Chapter meeting will be successful.

cagedcactus
10-10-2007, 01:38 PM
There are many here (on IV forums) who question if Lobbying and Grassroots efforts really works. It they didn't, we wouldn't be here!

Read the following article on early Indian Immigrants and their miserable conditions before 1946. How they overcame the racist/xenophobic labor groups opposition through lobbying and grassroots efforts and became citizens.

http://www.sikhspectrum.com/082006/citizen.htm

Read the article, become motivated, join MI chapter. Together we shall prevail

True stuff...
Those who question the lobbying and efforts are not really questioning it. They are actually saying that lets do nothing and let system figure it out itself. well, cant blame them. But we will move forward. We will do everything we can at local level to make sure that we are heard.

walking_dude
10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I understand your friends marriage is important and you can't miss it at any cost.

I'm hoping that since you anyways plan to be in Troy that day, you can try to attend for 15 minutes-30 minutes and then leave for your friends ceremony. I don't think the meeting will be a whole day afair. It might last half an hour to an hour max. Please consider the possibility of partial attendance, if possible, while attending your friends marriage - as every extra member attending the meet is a moralebooster to the rest of us.

It would be great if we can have you there, even if it's just for a few minutes. (You can call one of us later for more details)

I am very sorry but I will not be able to make it on the 20th. I was informed by my Indian friend that he will get married on the same day at Troy too. Talking about coincidence. Anyway, I wish the Michigan Chapter meeting will be successful.

walking_dude
10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
CagedCactus,

Can you PM me your phone number? I already PMed you mine sometime back.

You can call me or I'll call you. Eitherway it's fine. Lets talk

bestin
10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
thank god u got it bumped.else i would have been there on sunday;)

cagedcactus
10-11-2007, 08:10 AM
We definitely should put down reminders in our cellphones.... We will keep this thread up and running so everyone can refresh the details....

After the first meeting we will open a new thread for next meeting place and agenda....

walking_dude
10-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Rise and Shine Michigan

miapplicant
10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
IV MI Meet

Confirmed - 15

cagedcactus
walking_dude
vs116
amitga
swamy
oldschool
Alien
Curious_Techie
nogc_noproblem
bestin
new_horizon
lakewalker
GCcomesoon
chintu25
miapplicant

IV2007

psgprasad
simon
FinalGC

Hey, sorry to back out at last minute...but something urgent came up and I cannot make it to Troy at 10ish on Sat. Its about 1.5 hours (near A2) from where I will be driving from...

bestin
10-13-2007, 10:33 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^;)

Confirmed - 14

cagedcactus
walking_dude
vs116
amitga
swamy
oldschool
Alien
Curious_Techie
nogc_noproblem
bestin
new_horizon
lakewalker
GCcomesoon
chintu25

walking_dude
10-14-2007, 11:18 AM
There was a Telecon held yesterday night ( 9:00 pm - 10:30 pm) on establishment of new state chapters. Some core members as well as some veteran State Chapter leaders participated along with us greenhorns (newbies). Me, Chintu25 and CagedCactus participated from Michigan. Regretfully since it was a last moment decision , more members couldn't be invited to participate.

I was active in the Telecon almost to the last (I hope). It was highly educative and informational to listen to the IV Core perspective on State Chapters. Veterans also pitched in with their experience in organizing their chapters (some super secret recipes were revealed :)). Some chapter leaders for new chapters also introduced some really great ideas. To the end, I started bombarding the core with lots of questions, and they were patient in answering all of those ( b/n 10-10:30 pm!).

Unfortunately these matters cannot be discussed in the public forum, here, as we are monitored by Anti-Immigrants. Ditto for E-mails and PMs, as we have no way of verifying the authenticity of the other person. So please don't feel offended if your PMs and E-mail inquiries remain unanswered!

ONLY way to get acquainted with the 'inside news' is to participate in the 10/20 meeting, details of which are published below. Be there if you wish to remain in the know.

pappu
10-14-2007, 04:35 PM
There was a Telecon held yesterday night ( 9:00 pm - 10:30 pm) on establishment of news state chapters. Some core members as well as some veteran State Chapter leaders participated along with us greenhorns (newbies). Me, Chintu25 and CagedCactus participated from Michigan. Regretfully since it was a last moment decision , more members couldn't be invited to participate.

I was active in the Telecon almost to the last (I hope). It was a highly educative and informational to listen to the IV Core perspective on State Chapters. Veterans also pitched in with their experience in organizing their chapters (some super secret recipes were revealed :)). Some chapter leaders for new chapters also introduced some great ideas. To the end, I started bombarding the core with lots of questions, and they were patient in answering all of those ( b/n 10-10:30 pm!).

Unfortunately these matters cannot be discussed in the public forum here as we are monitored by Anti-Immigrants. Ditto for E-mails and PMs as we have no way of verifying the authenticity of the other person. So please don't feel offended if your PMs and E-mail inquiries remain unanswered!

ONLY way to get acquainted with the 'inside news' is to participate in the 10/20 meeting, details of which are published below. Be there if you wish to remain in the know.
It was nice talking to you and others.
Thanks for attending the call.

cagedcactus
10-15-2007, 08:06 AM
The information, and guideline we got from you is going to help us a lot pappu... also many thanks to other chapter leaders who took time out and helped us learn the process.
Lets get going friends here at Michigan.....
we must fight this monster..... we must fight for our rights, and what is fair....
we must fight for our families and friends.....

Concentrate on the topics you want to discuss on, and bring more friends to the 20th meeting.....

chanduv23
10-15-2007, 08:21 AM
The information, and guideline we got from you is going to help us a lot pappu... also many thanks to other chapter leaders who took time out and helped us learn the process.
Lets get going friends here at Michigan.....
we must fight this monster..... we must fight for our rights, and what is fair....
we must fight for our families and friends.....

Concentrate on the topics you want to discuss on, and bring more friends to the 20th meeting.....

I missed it, not aware of it, not sure why. I am glad to see this chapter grow. There was a time where we were searching for folks with torchlights. Thanks to Chintu, walking_dude, cagedcactus, bestin and all others who are now making this happen.

I have a very close friend in Michigan, and asked him to join, but he talks about all hardships, about his HR manager, about his company, about his lawyer, about everything except IV stuff. I am sure there are many more people here doing the same thing. We have to motivate folks to come forward. We cannot afford to have people who are inactive.

Good luck to you all, try to merge folks from nearby states if they are still not organized until they get organized.

Junky
10-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I am in

cagedcactus
10-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I missed it, not aware of it, not sure why. I am glad to see this chapter grow. There was a time where we were searching for folks with torchlights. Thanks to Chintu, walking_dude, cagedcactus, bestin and all others who are now making this happen.

I have a very close friend in Michigan, and asked him to join, but he talks about all hardships, about his HR manager, about his company, about his lawyer, about everything except IV stuff. I am sure there are many more people here doing the same thing. We have to motivate folks to come forward. We cannot afford to have people who are inactive.

Good luck to you all, try to merge folks from nearby states if they are still not organized until they get organized.

I will email you and other leaders to keep everyone informed about the activities here. Your guidance will be the fuel for Michigan Machine.
Walking_dude, and others are also fired up and ready to go. Let me know if I can talk to your friend in Michigan, and request him to join us and come to the meeting.

Junky, welcome to the chapter.... I will add you to the confirmed list for the meeting on 20th October.

walking_dude
10-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Mea Culpa. I'm the culprit here :).

I requested for the meeting close to weekend. It turned out some other new chapters were also in the same boat. Core put us together in the same call, which helped, as our issues are more or less the same. Timing was inconvenient for cagedcactus due to personal reasons. Yet he participated (which we should appreciate). Some veterans also nearly-missed the call as everything got finalized a few hours before it.

Regarding nearby states, we can try to accomodate Indiana (IN) and Ohio (OH), and my be Wisconsin (WI), the states that border Michigan, that is if they already don't have an active chapter.

chanduv23
10-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Mea Culpa. I'm the culprit here :).

I requested for the meeting close to weekend. It turned out some other new chapters were also in the same boat. Core put us together in the same call, which helped, as our issues are more or less the same. Timing was inconvenient for cagedcactus due to personal reasons. Yet he participated (which we should appreciate). Some veterans also nearly-missed the call as everything got finalized a few hours before the call.

Regarding nearby states, we can try to accomodate Indiana (IN) and Ohio (OH), and my be Wisconsin (WI), the states that border Michigan, that is if they already don't have an active chapter.

U guys look extra charged .. way to go, good luck

walking_dude
10-15-2007, 01:12 PM
GC-waiting life is fully of misery and suffering [bestowed by lawyers. employers, DOL, DOS, USCIS etc.] Grassroots efforts [State chapters] is the means of GC happiness. Way to GC happiness is to follow the Eight-Fold fath of

1) Right Participation - Join the State Chapters
2) Meet the Right People - Meet the Lawmakers who can fix the system
3) Set Right the media crecord - Talk to media and dissociate our cause from that of unrelated issues H1B visa increase and "undoucumented"
4) Find more Right People to join the cause - publicity & membership drive
5) Learn more about the Right Cause - Join telecons with the core (whenever scheduled)
6) Right approach - IV talking points, best practices
7) Right Info sharing - Between chapter leaders and members about best practices, and experiences
8) Rightway to get GC Nirvana through the Grassroots "Karma"

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

walking_dude
10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Michigan, You Got a 'Meet'

walking_dude
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Michigan, find your Immigration Voice on 10/20. For when, where and what, look below!

bestin
10-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Guys,
We also need to make the public aware what we contribute to the society.Not only our jobs,but also how we contribute to ssn,work without unemployment benefits (when compared to citizens),how much taxes we pay,etcs tatus of h4 dependents without driving licence and with all these stress we also do our job with a smile isnt?WE DEFINITELY NEED TO OVERCOME THE PUBLIC OPINION THAT WE ARE JUST HERE TO TAKEAWAY JOBS.

Rather than mentioning it as our right,we need to make people aware of how we contribute and why we deserve a green card.;)

My 2 cents.

BTB,nice taking to u over phone WD.

cagedcactus
10-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Bestin, you brought up excellent points. We will discuss them at the meeting and make a list of things to do. We will decide there which nails should be hit hard.

Bestin, I looked at your signature, and felt very proud for you. You applied your labor in July 2007 only, and you are fired up to support and contribute to the cause. It shows how aware and alert you are. It shows how you refuse to face this unfair system. It shows that you want to fight for your rights....

Shame on those who have been stuck for years and years, but dont want to do anything off their lazy behinds..... they just think that their GC will arrive on a silver spoon and land in their salivating mouths....
I have news for ya....... IT IS NOT GOING TO ARRIVE ANY TIME SOON UNLESS YOU GET UP AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. :rolleyes:

come on friends..... we have 15 people coming so far..... lets take that number higher and higher.......

I volunteer tea/coffee and Snacks for everyone ..... please PM me or Walking dude with your best phone contact numbers if you are coming to the meeting. Just in case..... we can stay in touch and make sure that everyone is at the meeting... we have ton of things to discuss..... Lets go....

chanduv23
10-16-2007, 09:01 AM
U guys are amazing, I wish every chapter is like you. You must set an example to others.

You have our support. You must energize the entire state and surrounding states, others must see you and do better.

Come on folks - come come out of your shelves and help yourselves.

walking_dude
10-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Yes. Completely agreed.

I've an idea that I want to discuss at the Meet. It will not only help us show the World how much we contribute (real figures), but also get our group (state chapter) legitimacy in the eyes of Lawmakers. It also might get us some media attention. This and other ideas will be Exclusively premiered at the Meeting. So anybody interested, be there.

Anybody with great ideas - FIFO for GCs, Earned GCs (based on years in US) included, be there at the meet. We'll surely forward these ideas to the Core. If there's a great demand for these ideas at the grassroots, Core'll surely include these as their top agenda. So be there and share your ideas. Ideas will be put to vote and passed on to the Team IV. It's a great opportunity to network with like-minded individuals and push for your ideas.

You are being given a rare and valuable opportunity here. Use it! Don't crib later on IV forums that IV doesn't care. [ I'll be there, for sure, to ask you - Did you care about your state chapter meetings? If Not, why should we care for you?]

PS : Bestin, same here. Lets build a strong network in Michigan and succeed together.

Guys,
We also need to make the public aware what we contribute to the society.Not only our jobs,but also how we contribute to ssn,work without unemployment benefits (when compared to citizens),how much taxes we pay,etcs tatus of h4 dependents without driving licence and with all these stress we also do our job with a smile isnt?WE DEFINITELY NEED TO OVERCOME THE PUBLIC OPINION THAT WE ARE JUST HERE TO TAKEAWAY JOBS.

Rather than mentioning it as our right,we need to make people aware of how we contribute and why we deserve a green card.;)

My 2 cents.

BTB,nice taking to u over phone WD.

walking_dude
10-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Wow! CC, You Da Man.

Guys, we are doing our best to get you there. Free transportation from Lansing for 4 ( courtesy Bestin). Free coffee/snacks sponsored by CagedCactus.

What else do you need to get there? Free beer? Free cigarettes? Let us know. We'll arrange for it as long as you pledge to be there.

I volunteer tea/coffee and Snacks for everyone ..... please PM me or Walking dude with your best phone contact numbers if you are coming to the meeting. Just in case..... we can stay in touch and make sure that everyone is at the meeting... we have ton of things to discuss..... Lets go....

walking_dude
10-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Michigan members, We Offer You a Meet You Cannot Refuse

cagedcactus
10-16-2007, 04:10 PM
It is very crucial for the members from Michigan to participate in the meeting. It is also recomended, that we find all our friends who visit IV, or are stuck in backlog, and bring them to the meeting, or urge them to become members on IV and start posting on threads....
good deeds are contagious.... lets fire up these beacons and set michigan chapter flamming.......

bestin
10-17-2007, 06:16 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bestin, I looked at your signature, and felt very proud for you. You applied your labor in July 2007 only, and you are fired up to support and contribute to the cause. It shows how aware and alert you are. It shows how you refuse to face this unfair system. It shows that you want to fight for your rights....

I wished i were here before (IV) but ofcourse its human life isnt.We learn from experience.If at all IV was here before or if there were active forums like this earlier i am not sure if i would have ever thought of coming to US.Now after coming here and learning lessons its almost like we are stuck- not only on immigration but also to maintain our commitments.There were phases wherein i was literally upset on my decision to come to US which i beleive most of us would have gone thru at one stage.

America always vouches freedom for all,but they missed the point that there is literally no freedom for those who come to US by ethical means.See the plight of USCIS.Its like a monopoly.U can hardly question.A simple example is my wifes L2 EAD.Once she got the FP notice and receipt i sent all relevant documents by USPS delivery confirmation .At the 90th day they issue an RFE asking for the same documents.If it were in India it would have been used for packing samosas.But who knows what happens in USCIS.Now we need to wait again.Can we question them on what happened to the documents i sent?Its unnecessary waste of time.I beleive its high time USCIS thinks on outsourcing to be more effective..
I am not saying Indian Govt offices are better.

Just consider howmuch we spent on GC filing?I personally had to spend for filing and attorney and medical approx 7000$ (ya i had to use my company attorney as my labour was approved in last time).If atleast 200000 people did spend atleast 5000 ,then see how much we spent .Atleast 1000,000,000 dollars inside America during June to August 07 out of which atleast 50% to USCIS for something which MAY OR MAYNOT happen after years.And again a confirmed money 1500-2500 dollars every year for attorney+uscis fee for EAD and AP.The figure which i mentioned is just for an example,the actual figure might be twice.

In addition we spend on travel .A typical Indian Trip for a family of 4 would cost atleast $5000 on Air.If these taxes are considered see how much we contribute.And yes we pay for SSN,medicare for americans to enjoy at florida after 60.

Inspite of all these,some people here think we are just to steal their jobs and send money to India.If people dont realise they are competent,then their way is to oppose immigration reforms.

I have seen lots of Americans here complaining on stress and taking stress releivers and yoga.I am sure their life expectancy would be reduced to 1/2 of what they have if they were to undergo immigration inside America now especially from retrogessed countries.Serious its not a joke.:D

Yes WD,we will make Michigan a role model.

Thanks for your snacks CC !!!!!. Looking forward to meet u guys .

walking_dude
10-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Bestin,

I agree we do spend a lot on the GC process. It's painful to watch the inefficiency of USCIS after paying so much. How much ever we paid for GC process, India trip etc., are unlikely to buy us any sympathy from the Law makers.

We could get asked questions such as 'if it's so expensive and inefficient why did you apply for it?' and 'why do you guys need to fly to India every year?'. People are interested in only the figures that affect them directly . That's life!

We can, for sure, catch their attention if we can show them in real figures how much Federal and State Taxes, SSN , Medicare etc. we have paid as a group. Are these figures avaible today? Forget about how much we are paying to the US economy - is there any real figures available on how many EB GC applicants are in Michigan?

Answer is 'NO'

We need to collect and collate these figures. Present them to the Lawmakers and Media to make our case. I have an idea about it. I will be proposing at the meet to gather others opinions. Once we have an internal agreement and a solid plan, we can propose it to the Core for their sanction.

Lets Do It Together

Just consider howmuch we spent on GC filing?I personally had to spend for filing and attorney and medical approx 7000$ (ya i had to use my company attorney as my labour was approved in last time).If atleast 200000 people did spend atleast 5000 ,then see how much we spent .Atleast 1000,000,000 dollars inside America during June to August 07 out of which atleast 50% to USCIS for something which MAY OR MAYNOT happen after years.And again a confirmed money 1500-2500 dollars every year for attorney+uscis fee for EAD and AP.The figure which i mentioned is just for an example,the actual figure might be twice.

In addition we spend on travel .A typical Indian Trip for a family of 4 would cost atleast $5000 on Air.If these taxes are considered see how much we contribute.And yes we pay for SSN,medicare for americans to enjoy at florida after 60.

Yes WD,we will make Michigan a role model.

Thanks for your snacks CC !!!!!. Looking forward to meet u guys .

cagedcactus
10-17-2007, 03:11 PM
we are approaching the date of meeting, and love to see everyone who is coming post here once atleast.... confirming it that way....
The main target is to stay active on website. Because this website is our main source to stay in touch and keep ourselves updated.

we are only three days away from our first meeting. 15-16 guys have confirmed. we would love to see a reminder/confirmation post here from all of them.... It will give a better idea for the preparation.....

keep this thread up and running until the meeting, then after that, we will have a second thread for the things to do.... as we hand out the assignments and responsibilities....

walking_dude
10-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Needless to say, I'm Coming.

I will also get a copy of 'IV Talking Points' given as part of DC Rally, some docs to get started on some immediate action items, and get us started on activities.

I also volunteer to take 'Minutes of the Meeting'.

nogc_noproblem
10-17-2007, 06:28 PM
I am coming!

bestin
10-17-2007, 11:36 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am coming.
.................................................. .....

Guys utilise the opportunity .Only a few days more.Guys from far of places .....Dont think u need to travel so far for a couple of hours.After the meeting you can plan some temple,desi cinema nearby.BTB there are also lot of good Indian restaurants.Give your family a break .....Enjoy the trip.;)

cagedcactus
10-18-2007, 08:17 AM
WD, good idea...
bring all the material and pointers to kick off the meeting. We clearly see you as our technical leader. Formalities will be quick at the meeting so that we can recognize a few people as leaders, who can communicate with IV leaders and keep working on local plans...
People please share your experience, and thoughts about how you want to approach the local task....

confirm your place at the meeting....
we have 4 people posting here in thread... that wont do.... meetings are once in a while things... we need constant participation from others here on IV.... this place is the center point for us. If you are busy, mark down your cellphone calendar for a daily time when you can visit IV and michigan chapter thread to keep yourself and others updated....

walking_dude
10-18-2007, 01:54 PM
All Michigan GC applicants are invited to attend this auspicious opening ceremony of the Michigan chapter.

Blessings in presence only

walking_dude
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Bestin I've sent you a PM. Please check it and respond ASAP.

Thanks.

bestin
10-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Bestin I've sent you a PM. Please check it and respond ASAP.

Thanks.Thanks

Responded back..BTB i dont have any appointments tomorrow.So i ll be at home.Pls dont hesitate to ask for any help.I can try my best

walking_dude
10-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for actively participating and helping us in this effort. I'm sure we'll make this meet a success with our combined team effort.

More volunteers are welcome to join us in helping the meeting preparations. We also greatly appreciate any other help you can provide.

Members who have signed up for the meet re-confirm (basically RSVP), if you haven't already done so (after cagedcactus requested it). It will help CC in arranging snacks and tea . You can PM him or post here.

Need transportation from Lansing to Troy? Send PM (private message) to Bestin, by clicking on his id (on the messages posted by him) in this thread/forum. He has volunteered to accomodate 4 participants on first-come-first-serve basis. If you aren't based in Lansing, but still located somewhere on the way ( b/n Lansing to Troy), he can pick you up and drop you off ( if the detour is reasonable like a few miles). Don't let the lethargy to driving long distance dampen your enthusiam to particpate in an event that will affect your future.

Guys who cannot participate on 10/20 due to any reasons, but interested in future activities - PM or E-mail me. I will add you to the list of invitees for the future activities.

Thanks

Responded back..BTB i dont have any appointments tomorrow.So i ll be at home.Pls dont hesitate to ask for any help.I can try my best

cagedcactus
10-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for actively participating and helping us in this effort. I'm sure we'll make this meet a success with our combined team effort.

More volunteers are welcome to join us in helping the meeting preparations. We also greatly appreciate any other help you can provide.

Members who have signed up for the meet re-confirm (basically RSVP), if you haven't already done so (after cagedcactus requested it). It will help CC in arranging snacks and tea . You can PM him or post here.

Need transportation from Lansing to Troy? Send PM (private message) to Bestin, by clicking on his id (on the messages posted by him) in this thread/forum. He has volunteered to accomodate 4 participants on first-come-first-serve basis. If you aren't based in Lansing, but still located somewhere on the way ( b/n Lansing to Troy), he can pick you up and drop you off ( if the detour is reasonable like a few miles). Don't let the lethargy to driving long distance dampen your enthusiam to particpate in an event that will affect your future.

Guys who cannot participate on 10/20 due to any reasons, but interested in future activities - PM or E-mail me. I will add you to the list of invitees for the future activities.

Great job WD....
Kudos to Bestin too...

We clearly see the fire burning. Now that we have seen Quality, we need to see quantity... the fire must must burn throughout the state, or there is no use... more the merrier........

I know a lot of folks are enjoying the latest arrival of EAD cards and Finger prints.... but dont kid yourselves.... these are traps.... baits for those who want it easy.... we wont have it easy.... we will have to fight.... for us, and for those who are in line.... for our families, and children....

rise people........ rise now, or never....

walking_dude
10-18-2007, 05:17 PM
PMed a reminder to every member ,who has shown interest in the meet, but has not RSVP'ed yet for the final count needed for Snacks/Tea arrangement ( only those included in the confirmed list of the first message).

Hope to see you all there.

walking_dude
10-18-2007, 10:53 PM
After making 32 phone calls and 25-28 E-mails . We've got 3 more Members who have said YES to our meeting.

breddy2000
godbole_sanjaya
keyur8983

There are 5-7 May Bes and undecided, rest haven't responded. Hope to see you all at MI meet!

cagedcactus
10-19-2007, 07:32 AM
WD has clearly stepped up as one of the leaders in Michigan chapter...
We will follow the lead.....
great job brother..... keep them coming.... we will turn 15 into 150.... and many more.....

amitga
10-19-2007, 10:10 AM
After making 32 phone calls and 25-28 E-mails . We've got 3 more Members who have said YES to our meeting.

breddy2000
godbole_sanjaya
keyur8983

There are 5-7 May Bes and undecided, rest haven't responded. Hope to see you all at MI meet!

I did PM you that I will be coming.

walking_dude
10-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I saw your PM - just now - and replied. Thanks for attending the meet.

These 3 members are from a different pool. IV gave us phone numbers of Michigan members registered at the site. We have been calling and E-mailing these members about tommorrows meet.

The response received has been encouraging. Lot of members who couldn't participate in the first meet, did volunteer to participate in the future meets and other activities. We have created enough buzz about chapter and reached out to a wider audience ( some even unaware of the thread here). Three members (different from the three prospective attendees above) have joined our current google group.

We are also running a Newsletter today to registered IV Michigan members. We aren't leaving any stone unturned to get maximum possible members to attend.

I did PM you that I will be coming.

ajobha
10-19-2007, 01:49 PM
This is Ashish from Canton, MI. Will surely meet you guyz tomorrow. So, finally how many people, WD?

tamoul
10-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Chanced upon this forum while searching for something this week. Kudos to you all, your drive is amazing!

Count me in. Will be there tomorrow at 10AM.

bestin
10-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Chanced upon this forum while searching for something this week. Kudos to you all, your drive is amazing!

Count me in. Will be there tomorrow at 10AM.welcome Tamoul. Thats the spirit.

cagedcactus
10-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Logic life.... many thanks for modifying the thread to reflect the main goal...

ajobha, and tamoul... welcome to the chapter...
see you all in the morning tomorrow at 10:00 AM sharp....

WD... please let me know if you got a chance to discuss a non profit situation to the recreation center? maybe we can get a room big enough for 20-25 people.... if not, fine.... we can use the chairs and tables for now... there is plenty of those for community meetings...

walking_dude
10-19-2007, 02:37 PM
We have E-mailed 800+ IV members who have indicated they're from Michigan, Called some 30+.

We have got good response. We'll know the exact numbers when we meet. Confirmed members may not show up, others may change their mind at the last moment and just drop by. It's hard to predict right now.

A lot of members are interested in "Knowing" what we are doing. Best way to know is "Participate". By attending the meeting you're getting added to the "MI chapter circle of trust" - that is members we feel safe in passing on sensitive and confidential info we get from IV core. We also feel it safe to pass on information about activities covered by IV Non-disclosure policy such as Lawmaker meetings and responses we get, with members we have met personally, talked and know their background. Posting such sensitive info here or on the google groups is not possible as it will be picked up by anti-immigrants trolling IV for such info.

Bottomline : Anybody missing the meeting is missing the opportunity to have access to IV "insider information" which will never be made public to people outside the "trusted circle".

Worst case, even if around 20 guys show up, it's a great start as I've heard that some chapters started of with 5-10 people and now have 100+ members. Don't worry, we will get there.

This is Ashish from Canton, MI. Will surely meet you guyz tomorrow. So, finally how many people, WD?

walking_dude
10-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks to Logiclife for Linking to us from the Homepage of IV. A rare honor bestowed for the very first time to a fledgling state chapter. MI chapter shall forever be grateful!

Goes to show the importance of State Chapters to the IV Core and the IV strategy. And the kind of support we get from IV core to our activities.

walking_dude
10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I will PM you. ( updated: PMed you)

WD... please let me know if you got a chance to discuss a non profit situation to the recreation center? maybe we can get a room big enough for 20-25 people.... if not, fine.... we can use the chairs and tables for now... there is plenty of those for community meetings...

chanduv23
10-19-2007, 04:02 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

walking_dude
10-19-2007, 05:22 PM
SEE you guys Tommorrow.

Lets Rock, Yalgaar Ho and rest of the jazz.

chanduv23
10-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Take digital cameras and cam corders - take pics and post them on IV.

chanduv23
10-19-2007, 05:33 PM
I wish you all good. Wonderful spirit and great hard work. I wish the community realizes and wakes up from their slumber.

Hearty congratulations to the organizers and to all those who will make it.

This is the kind of difference that we must all make.

bestin
10-19-2007, 07:07 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guys decide .Tomorrow is pooja.You can combine the visit to Troy Temple.;)

walking_dude
10-19-2007, 07:49 PM
May be the Lord gets pleased with you for performing good GC Karma and grant you Green Card in blessings !

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guys decide .Tomorrow is pooja.You can combine the visit to Troy Temple.;)

bestin
10-19-2007, 10:21 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^bump^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone else?

chanduv23
10-20-2007, 11:12 PM
how was the meet? updates, pics etc...???

bestin
10-21-2007, 12:40 AM
how was the meet? updates, pics etc...???
Good start.I think 14,may be 15 turned around.We had an overall idea of the objectives of IV.Some shared valuable points.In short thanks to WD and CC for organising such an event.I think they would be contacting core with updates.

For a start it was nice that so many people turned around.;)

walking_dude
10-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks Bestin, for the quick update provided on the forums. Was caught up in personal work and hence couldn't update here.

1) Thanks to CC, we had a good meeting. Around 15 members turned up, which is a good show as this is our very first meet as a State chapter. It was a great success as an ice breaker and people could actually see the faces behind the ids walking_dude, cagedcactus, curious_techie, alien etc.

2) Sorry to have not posted pics and videos. It was the first meeting for all of us, though some of have been co-ordinating efforts online through phones and E-mail. Also some of us are prospective AC21 candidates (so you guys need to wait some more months :) )

3) Every one of the attendees pitched in with their ideas and experiences in GC process. We had a fruitful discussion about IV Talking points. EVERYONE readily volunteered to our highest priority task. We will be going ahead with it in full steam in the days to come. Modalities were discussed to and agreed to at the meet.

4) We got some more volunteers who agreed to share the Co-ordinator responsibilities with me and CC. We have formed a "Co-Ordination Committee" of 5 members - CagedCactus, Walking_Dude, Bestin, BReddy2000 and Ajobha. Committe will be dynamic and based on member choice and level of participation.

5) I understand that we need a more central place which will facilitate more participation from all over Michigan. We are fine with it as long as we can get some volunteer from Farmington Hills, Dearborn, Southfield etc. who can book us a room/hall. Without a local participation it's hard to arrange a place for meeting. Till then we may have to make do with our current spot.

6) I am co-ordinating with CC to get the hall Officially booked so we don't face the elements next time. We are looking at the possibility of booking a room for free ( a facility available to non-profit groups such as us)

7) Me & CC had a meeting later where we compiled Minutes Of the Meeting (MOM) and other stuff too! Like a new Secure Yahoo or Google groups for secure dissemination of IV updates and chapter action plans. Teleconferencing options, Outreach, member drive etc. It will be communicated to Core as soon as I can type it into a document (along with the list of IV MI members as a trusted list)

8) Every participant volunteered to do his best to help IV and the State Chapter in our cause. It was also agreed that everyone will get more friends, neighbors, colleagues and acquaintances in the chapter, which is GREAT. We have had a really good start. Thanks to everyone who volunteered full support and will bring in more members.

9) Thanks to CC for the snacks and coffee. I will volunteer to get them next time.

10) Most importantly - Thanks to Everyone who participated. WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL TOGETHER.

akhilmahajan
10-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Kudos to the MI chapter for their first chapter meet.
I am sure it will act as a great motivating factor for the other chapters also.

Lets keep the good work going on.

GO IV GO.
TOGETHER WE CAN.

cagedcactus
10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
yes it was very encouraging to see all the confirmed and some more showed up...
We could clearly see that all the members were upbeat and ready to go...
WD, many thanks for the information and material you prepared for the meeting. You are clearly our technical and knowledge source leader....

We will continue with the game plan... as you noted down step by step.
Our first goal now is to have a phone meeting with leaders where we can gather up some training material, and discussion points.
We also need some information on how to approach the senators locally, and set up meetings... what should be brought up in the meeting and what should be avoided... etc...

I appreciate all those who came, and also those who wanted to come but couldnt due to some legit reasons....
Our first meeting was a huge step. Others need to see this, and start participating in the local drive.... we dont need your money here, you can continue contributing to IV .... we just need your time and help so we can do this together..... we can defeat this monster together....

Rise Michigan.... rise now.... we do this now.... or never..... for the sake of your family, friends, fellow countrymen, and all those who are affected due to these unfair backlogs....

walking_dude
10-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Akhil, Chandu thanks for the support. It's heartening to see it coming from other state chapter leaders for our efforts.

Offline work is on to compile data gathered before, during and after the meet. Some of the Meeting action points (easier) will be implemented soon. The rest will also see a forward movement.

Work is on to determine how to include members who couldn't participate personally, yet conveyed support and/or willingness to participate in our future activities - during the call, and/or through E-mails. We want to include everyone interested in our future activities. We also appreciate any other form of real tangible support coming from non-attendees agreeing to our cause and chapter activities. This will be crucial as we get into future activities, SOON!