PDA

View Full Version : Please help! how can I convince the hiring manager

4yourforGC
07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi, there,

I've just done my final interview with one company. they are very satisfied with my experiences and tech skills and have strong intent to hire me. after several time interviews with them, there is only 2 candidates left. I am the one of them. but now the hiring manager has concern on my visa problem. I am currently have EAD (will expire 1 year later) and my 140 has been approved and 485 pending is far over 180 days. I should not have visa problem, right? may I get your comments how I can convince this hiring manager on my status?

thank you a lot!
:confused:

kris04
07-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi, there,

I've just done my final interview with one company. they are very satisfied with my experiences and tech skills and have strong intent to hire me. after several time interviews with them, there is only 2 candidates left. I am the one of them. but now the hiring manager has concern on my visa problem. I am currently have EAD (will expire 1 year later) and my 140 has been approved and 485 pending is far over 180 days. I should not have visa problem, right? may I get your comments how I can convince this hiring manager on my status?

thank you a lot!
:confused:

Tell the hiring manager you don't need any Visa sponsorship, but just would require a EVL detailing job description and salary details, EVL is common not just for immigration, but for securing a home loan or car loan, so HR will not have any problem in providing a EVL. I did the same last year got the job offer and notified the hiring manager and HR that I am on EAD, told them that I don't need any visa sponsorship, but a detailed EVL, hired a private attorney informed USCIS about the new employer with the EVL I secured after joining the new employer, submitted the document as part of AC 21. Last year around Aug. 2008 I got my GC got approved without any RFE.

Good luck

HTH

kris

ocpmachine
07-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Tell the hiring manager you don't need any Visa sponsorship, but just would require a EVL detailing job description and salary details, EVL is common not just for immigration, but for securing a home loan or car loan, so HR will not have any problem in providing a EVL. I did the same last year got the job offer and notified the hiring manager and HR that I am on EAD, told them that I don't need any visa sponsorship, but a detailed EVL, hired a private attorney informed USCIS about the new employer with the EVL I secured after joining the new employer, submitted the document as part of AC 21. Last year around Aug. 2008 I got my GC got approved without any RFE.

Good luck

HTH

kris

Kris,

I really appreciate you visiting this site and taking time replying to other member queries even after getting your GC, this what makes this forum a great place for sharing their immigration experiences.

sankap
07-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Why would you need an EVL from your new employer or inform the USCIS of your job change, in this case? AC21 does not require you to "file AC21" (whatever that means), contrary to what has been advised in this forum many times. Please Google "Yates memo;" see, e.g., http://www.shusterman.com/pdf/ac21-51205.pdf. Here are my attorney's comments in this regard:

"AC21 is the name of the immigration act that allowed portability for those who have an approved I-140 and I-485 pending over 180 days. There are no regulations for this provision therefore no instructions regarding notification so there is no actual action to "invoke AC21". The Service will sometimes send out an RFE just prior to approving an I-485 to request confirmation that the individual is either still employed by the sponsoring employer or if not, that he/she was portable when changing positions which is evidenced by a letter from the new employer."

I don't think you should request any thing from your new employer other than a job offer. You need an EVL *only* in case of an RFE. And no need to "file AC21!"

psaxena
07-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I changed my job recently , didn't talk about anything immigration, ead anything. Even when I asked , I told them "That will not be an issue, and nothing is required by the company to do for me". At the time of joining I gave my EAD and SSN. Thats it HR lady didn't ask anything just took the Photocopy of it and kept in the file.

I did not file AC-21 as well , though as part of the joining process without asking I as given the appointment letter, role and jobdesctription , which I can use as EVL. I think this is standard process which every company follows. So flow in the process and there should not be any issues. Also after making the offer the company cannot deny the offer because of EAD thats, the law. So wait and speak wisely till you get the offer letter.

kris04
07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Why would you need an EVL from your new employer or inform the USCIS of your job change, in this case? AC21 does not require you to "file AC21" (whatever that means), contrary to what has been advised in this forum many times. Please Google "Yates memo;" see, e.g., http://www.shusterman.com/pdf/ac21-51205.pdf. Here are my attorney's comments in this regard:

"AC21 is the name of the immigration act that allowed portability for those who have an approved I-140 and I-485 pending over 180 days. There are no regulations for this provision therefore no instructions regarding notification so there is no actual action to "invoke AC21". The Service will sometimes send out an RFE just prior to approving an I-485 to request confirmation that the individual is either still employed by the sponsoring employer or if not, that he/she was portable when changing positions which is evidenced by a letter from the new employer."

I don't think you should request any thing from your new employer other than a job offer. You need an EVL *only* in case of an RFE. And no need to "file AC21!"

with the lack of regulation on AC 21 law, each attorney's take different position when it comes to handling AC 21 cases, in my case the primary reason driven to file AC 21 is the small window of period available in getting I 485 adjudicated when the PD is current, so I don't want to loose time when the PD is current and get an RFE from USCIS and running back and forth to get the RFE responded before loosing PD, more over I took the 20 minute counselling with Murthy law firm and they advised to notify USCIS about employer change.Later I was fortunate that USCIS did not issue RFE(may be it helped USCIS by notifying them in advance and clear their doubt) and approve my I 485 when PD was current.

Cheers

Kris

chanduv23
07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
with the lack of regulation on AC 21 law, each attorney's take different position when it comes to handling AC 21 cases, in my case the primary reason driven to file AC 21 is the small window of period available in getting I 485 adjudicated when the PD is current, so I don't want to loose time when the PD is current and get an RFE from USCIS and running back and forth to get the RFE responded before loosing PD, more over I took the 20 minute counselling with Murthy law firm and they advised to notify USCIS about employer change.Later I was fortunate that USCIS did not issue RFE(may be it helped USCIS by notifying them in advance and clear their doubt) and approve my I 485 when PD was current.

Cheers

Kris

Issuing RFE or not is an individual decision taken by the officer. In most cases, RFE is issued when 140 gets revoked because an underlying job offer is a necessity. Even if you sent AC21 letter, as long as your 140 is still intact, the officer may chose not to issue an RFE.

Some people have received RFEs in more than one ocassion. Once when 140 was revoked and once during preadjudication process. So if for some reason USCIS decides to do a second round of preadjudication just because they have not other work or any specific reason then we may expect RFEs (This is something I made up - I don't think there will be another round of preadjudication.

Informing USCIS in advance helps rarely but maybe useful at times if you know your 140 could potentially be revoked and in a lot of cases 485 gets deined as a result. The MTR filing process can include a communication trail about informing USCIS which could be of help.

chi_shark
07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
as i experienced, almost all attorneys will ask you to file ac21. some attorneys charge as much as $1000 each time you change jobs... its ka-ching for them...

as for not wasting time when pd is currrent... i absolve you of that crime :-) jk... but IMHO you really cannot influence the outcome of this process by being quick on your part except ensuring continuation of the process...

as for the original question: you need not have to convince anyone about EAD... as someone else pointed out, the first page of the I-9 form states clearly that its illegal to discriminate based on immigration status... if you are in IT, there are umpteen examples of what you are trying to do (yours truly included)... just play it easy... best of luck...

Cheers

Kris