PDA

View Full Version : CIR - National phone campaign – 29th April, 2010 to 14th May, 2010

pappu
04-29-2010, 03:57 PM
As the CIR bill outline is getting introduced today, we all need to do our share in making our voice heard. Our issues are real and affect about a million people patiently waiting in line for past several years. We are high-skilled immigrants who have followed all the rules and contribute significantly to the innovation and economy of this county. Our strength is our grassroots efforts, so let us all call our lawmakers and ask them to take immediate action on the immigration bill.

Call your Legislators:

Immigration Voice is organizing a nationwide call-the-lawmakers drive. We request members to call each and every senator and congress member. This drive will precede the ‘Advocacy Day(s)’ in Washington, DC and ‘Meet the lawmaker’ drive in local districts. Members can use this phone call conversation with their local lawmaker offices to follow-up with lawmakers when they meet during the break just after the Memorial day.

Don’t miss this opportunity:

This is the perfect time to call the lawmakers. The bill needs a push via support from people like us and all lawmakers needs to be encouraged and urged to help us. There are indications that there will be lot of activity on immigration issues in both House and Senate after the Memorial day. We need to make those activities go in our favor and not die like the CIR bill in 2006 & 2007. Thus it is important to starting calling lawmakers, starting from the Senate members. In order to capitalize on this opportunity, it is very important that everyone calls every lawmaker of this country. The similar next opportunity will be in 2013. We can participate now or we will all have ourselves to blame.

When:
This campaign starts today at 4:00 PM EST on 29th April, 2010) (Today) and will run until the end of next week. All IV members are encouraged to make multiple phone calls whenever they find some time during the day.

Who:

This is the order in which we would prefer that members call. Call all the senators listed here, even if they are not from your state.

This is the list of offices where there is maximum potential to swing votes either because they are new in the US senate or because they may be reconsidering their position on CIR if the bill has stricter provisions in it.

TIER I: LIST OF KEY SENATORS FOR CIR

Senator Scott Brown (R-Massachusetts)
(202) 224-4543

Senator Judd Gregg (R-New Hampshire)
(202) 224-3324

Senator Richard Lugar (R-Indiana)
(202) 224-4814

Senator Michael Enzi (R-Wyoming)
(202) 224-3424

Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina)
(202) 224-5972

Senator John Ensign (R-Nevada)
(202) 224-6244

Senator Orin Hatch (R-Utah)
(202) 224-5251

Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas)
(202) 224-2934

Senator John Kyl (R-Texas)
(202) 224-4521

Senator Mitch Mcconnell (R-Kentuky)
(202) 224-2541

Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-Minnesota)
(202) 224-3244

Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri)
(202) 224-6154

Senator Jon Tester (D-Montana)
(202) 224-2644

Senator Jim Webb (D-Virginia)
(202) 224-4024

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-Rhode Island)
(202) 224-2921

What you could say to the Senator offices listed above:

When you call:
Be courteous. Tell the lawmaker office that:

--------------------------------------------
I am a high skilled immigrant and a member of Immigration Voice. I fully support the proposed comprehensive immigration reform proposal released a few days back.

I am calling to express my support for the high skilled provisions to resolve the current green card backlogs of the doctors, engineers, research scientist and professors etc. This group of highly skilled immigrants stimulates every part of the economy participating in creating economic prosperity, innovation and entrepreneurship for creating more jobs in America.

I strongly urge the Senator to please support this proposal. If it is possible, could you please share the position of the Senator on the recently released (last week) Comprehensive Immigration Reform proposal?

Thank you and I am counting on the Senator’s support for this very important issue of national importance. Please convey regards to the Senator.
If you belong to the constituency (State) of the lawmaker, then tell them that you belong to their district/state and are calling to seek their help. If you are talking to a Senator office then tell them you are anxiously waiting for a Senators support for the immigration bill.

Then ask: What is the lawmaker’s position on immigration proposal? If the position is
- Supportive: Then thank the lawmaker office for it.

- If they oppose it: Then request them to support the high skilled green card provisions of the bill that will greatly help you. You sincerely hope that the lawmaker will reconsider his/her position and help you.

Be polite and persuasive in your message.

Question What if some Senators say they do not support amnesty. -

Answer "For last 10 years there has been no High-skilled immigration bill passed by the Congress. The world has changed in last 10 years. I understand that the Senator is a champion for creating more jobs in America. Employment based green cards will create jobs in America. I want to start my own company and hire people in America. But I cannot do that if I don't have a green card.

I would sincerely request you to please convey to the Senator if he would consider supporting some version of the immigration
giving more weight to green cards and creating jobs in America, or maybe the Senator could lead the effort for improving the proposal"

TIER II: LIST OF KEY SENATORS SPONSORING OR CO-SPONSORING CIR BILL

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nevada)
(202) 224-3542

Senator Dick Durbin (Illinois)
(202) 224-2152

Senator Chuck Schumer (New York)
(202) 224-6542

Senator Patrick Leahy (Vermont)
(202) 224-4242

Senator Dianne Feinstein (California)
(202) 224-3841

Senator Bob Menendez (New Jersey)
(202) 224-4744

Sen. Ben Cardin (Maryland)
(202) 224-4524

What:

When you call:
Be courteous. Tell the lawmaker office that:
I am a high skilled immigrant and a member of Immigration Voice. I fully support the proposed comprehensive immigration reform proposal due to be introduced later in the day today.

Thank you for the Senator’s leadership on this very important issue of immigration. Please convey my gratitude, full support and regards to the Senator.

Be polite and persuasive in your message.

Stick to the message and you will really make a big difference.

Please post the outcome of your call on this thread. For more information please contact IV.

Thank You,

Immigration Voice

India_USA
04-29-2010, 04:10 PM
way to go pappu!
we will take this on definitely!!!!!!!!! And we will recognize ourselves as Immigration Voice members in our calls

StarSun
04-29-2010, 04:16 PM
State chapter leaders and all other members, please contact me about the campaign.

amitjoey
04-29-2010, 04:39 PM
We will start calling. Thanks. We should leave no stone unturned. No doubts. Just do it!!

sandy_anand
04-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Pappu, thanks for the list. I wonder why Lindsey Graham's name is not on your list?

geevikram
04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Just called Senator Mitch McConnel's(R-KY) office. They were receptive to our message. Also, I was told that Senator is taking messages and has NOT taken a stand yet. Will post more if I call more people.

jungalee43
04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Can there be link for FAX for the guest members? I can get about 100 people to send fax. They are members of Indian community (many are citizens) and may not have time to make phone calls. But with simple provision to send fax at one time to all these senators, I am pretty sure I can get 100 people to send faxes.
Again the provision is required for guest members who are willing to write their address and phone number.

IAF
04-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Let us do it team.

greyhair
04-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Just called Scott Brown and Senator Greg. The person who picked up the phone in Scott Brown offcie noted my name and address. He said he will give my message to the Senator. The lady in Judd Gregg office said that Senator has not yet decided on the immigration proposal but she said the Senator appreciates the call. She did not ask my details but said that the Senator has supported immigration bills in the past. They both sounded very positive.

Printed out the post and I will continue to call all Senators.

gcgonewild
04-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Pappu,

Just called all Senators

The Phone number of last few senators is wrong.

Please change 244 to 224.

gcgonewild
04-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Pappu,

Just called all Senators

The Phone number of last few senators is wrong.

Please change 244 to 224.

eastindia
04-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Can I call now? When will office close?

StarSun
04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
You can find the list of all US Senators currently serving listed alphabetically along with phone numbers U.S. Senate: Senators Home (http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm)

class - Article I, section 3 of the Constitution requires the Senate to be divided into three classes for purposes of elections. Senators are elected to six-year terms, and every two years the members of one class—approximately one-third of the Senators—face election or reelection. Terms for Senators in Class I expire in 2013, Class II in 2015, and Class III in 2011.

Lets get this moving!!!

jungalee43
04-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Senator Scott Brown (R-Massachusetts) - left voice mail

Senator Judd Gregg (R-New Hampshire) - left voice mail

Senator Richard Lugar (R-Indiana) -left voice mail

Senator Michael Enzi (R-Wyoming) - left voice mail

Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) - it was not on my print out. But would call right away.

Senator John Ensign (R-Nevada) - Spoke with staff. Could not escape noticing her "sigh" when I mentioned CIR. She asked if I was from Nevada. I said no. But still she patientely took my message. She said there was no official statement yet from the senator and would not tell his position.

Senator Orin Hatch (R-Utah) - engage. Nothing happened.

Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas) - You must call during office hours. Cannot leave voice mail.

Senator John Kyl (R-Texas) - left voice mail

Senator Mitch Mcconnell (R-Kentuky) - engage

Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-Minnesota) - Voice mail

Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri) - Mail box full !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senator Jon Tester (D-Montana) - left voice mail

Senator Jim Webb (D-Virginia) - left voice mail

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-Rhode Island) - left voice mail. Here you hear prompt both in English as well as Spanish before you get the beep of the voice mail.

In every message I mentioned my name, address and phone numbers. Will call the Sen. Graham and sponsoring dems now. I will make another round of calls during office hours tomorrow.
And please the Fax link for guests. They should not be able to edit the mesasge. But must enter name and address. I can have at least 100 faxes sent.

greyhair
04-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Link to the video of the Senate immigration

C-SPAN Video Player - Senate Majority Leader Reid & Democratic Members on Immigration Reform (http://www.cspan.org/Watch/Media/2010/04/29/HP/A/32371/Senate+Majority+Leader+Reid+Democratic+Members+on+ Immigration+Reform.aspx)

apoojo
04-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Apart from calling all senators, I am thinking of writing to them/their offices as well. I guess different forms of communication would not hurt.

Many people stuck in the greencard backlog are not even aware of these steps (and organizations such as IV). How can we all help? Spread the word... post the link to Pappu's message in your facebook feed / blog etc.

skgs2000
04-30-2010, 12:48 AM
I thnk we should list email/phones/fax besides each name here as well. It makes it easier. for sure, fones, letter, faxes all will help for sure !

willigetgc?
04-30-2010, 08:53 AM
U.S. Senate: Senators Home (http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm)

Senators list with phone, and web email can be found.

ajay
04-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I did call and left a voice message as suggested by Pappu.
Hope for the best. Support IV as always.

jediknight
04-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks Pappu and the other IV folks. Will be contacting the senators today.

Congress111 for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/congress111/id349889282?mt=8)

I am not affiliated to the creator of this app in any way but this is a neat little app that also lets you send messages to senators and congressmen.

Congress111 iPhone Application Screenshots « Mike's Dev Blog (http://mikebluestein.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/congress111-iphone-application-screenshots/)

- JK

jungalee43
04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I am sad to see people posting messages on “inevitable future of CIR”, “US political system is broken”. But they don’t consider it important to contact their senators and follow IV’s instructions on making phone calls. Please understand the need of the hour and don’t waste time in making judgments or making predictions. Just follow what IV core is asking you to do.
Just call, call and call. I am starting my second round of calls.

ambals03
04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Senator John Kyl (R-Texas)

Should say:
Senator Jon Kyl - (R - AZ)
(202) 224-4521

augustus
04-30-2010, 11:08 AM
I did my part and called the Missouri Senator office. They said they will pass the message. I am not sure how effective it will be. But I will continue my efforts regardless. We come from a country where Gandhi got us independence through non-violence. I believe it is in our blood.

Remember Gandhi here and march ahead for what is purely discriminatory.

Indians can repeat this all over again, if only we put our hands together unity.

Jai Hind.

dummgelauft
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't know where the phone campaign stands in light of this

Obama takes immigration reform off agenda - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_immigration_politics_3)

POTUS has openly declared "no appetite for CIR"...

So, I guess, all we can do is eat the kela that has once again been given to us...

Administrator2
04-30-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't know where the phone campaign stands in light of this

Obama takes immigration reform off agenda - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_immigration_politics_3)

POTUS has openly declared "no appetite for CIR"...

So, I guess, all we can do is eat the kela that has once again been given to us...

Those comments were made by the President before the Senate Democrats press event. In fact one reporter asked Sen. Reid about the President's comments. It is not possible the Senate democrats do immigration press event on the Hill without the concurrence of the President.

We think that the President is trying to make his sincere push for the reform which requires a bi-partisan support. He did not say that he is taking immigration off the agenda. So this article is misinterpreting the comments of the President.

desigirl
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
IV Team,
I have been calling the list of Senators - and some of them say they do not support amnesty. I do talk about high skilled immigrants (from pappu's brief). My question is how do I make the distinction between the two groups without sounding that I am being against the undocumented?
Appreciate your help on this as I continue calling the Senators. Thanks

Edison99
04-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Good thought desigirl

Administrator2
04-30-2010, 02:27 PM
IV Team,
I have been calling the list of Senators - and some of them say they do not support amnesty. I do talk about high skilled immigrants (from pappu's brief). My question is how do I make the distinction between the two groups without sounding that I am being against the undocumented?
Appreciate your help on this as I continue calling the Senators. Thanks

Thanks, we expect some of the offices will say this. There can be lot of answers to this question. One way to respond is -

"For last 10 years there has been no High-skilled immigration bill passed by the Congress. The world has changed in last 10 years. I understand that the Senator is a champion for creating more jobs in America. Employment based green cards will create jobs in America. I want to start my own company and hire people in America. But I cannot do that if I don't have a green card.

I would sincerely request you to please convey to the Senator if he would consider supporting some version of the immigration bill
giving more weight to green cards and creating jobs in America, or maybe the Senator could lead the effort for improving the proposal"

Please always end the call on a cordial note thanking the Staff member.

willigetgc?
04-30-2010, 02:52 PM
TIER I: LIST OF KEY SENATORS FOR CIR

(202) 224-4543

(202) 224-3324

(202) 224-4814

Senator Michael Enzi (R-Wyoming)
(202) 224-3424

Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina)
(202) 224-5972

Senator John Ensign (R-Nevada)
(202) 224-6244

Senator Orin Hatch (R-Utah)
(202) 224-5251

(202) 224-2934

Senator John Kyl (R-Arizona)
(202) 224-4521

Senator Mitch Mcconnell (R-Kentuky)
(202) 224-2541

(202) 224-3244

Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri)
(202) 224-6154

Senator Jon Tester (D-Montana)
(202) 224-2644

(202) 224-4024

(202) 224-2921

TIER II: LIST OF KEY SENATORS SPONSORING OR CO-SPONSORING CIR BILL

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nevada)
(202) 224-3542

Senator Dick Durbin (Illinois)
(202) 224-2152

(202) 224-6542

(202) 224-4242

(202) 224-3841

(202) 224-4744

Sen. Ben Cardin (Maryland)
(202) 224-4524

All the numbers listed by Pappu are correct, and no changes need to be made.

I called both sets of Senators, and gave our stand on this immigration reform issue to each Sen. office, and here is the feedback from them:

Sen Brown: Will review the bill and will let his position known in a weeks time.
Sen Gregg: He has no position currently
Sen Lugar: Since the bill has no language yet, he would like to wait before he gives an opinion. He has previously supported immigration reform. He is continuing to meet with Sen. Schumer
Sen. Enzi: Does not support amnesty and he will let us know what his position on high skilled immigrant provisions in a week
Sen. Graham: Left message
Sen. Ensign: Has no comments, asked for NV address
Sen. Hatch: Staff read the press release regarding yesterday's framework, which states that this is partisan politics, and border enforcement has to be done first. Told him our position and asked for support
Sen. Cornyn: Could not leave message as there was high volume. will call back again. However, the message said that local offices need to be contacted.
Sen. Kyl: Has also released a press statement, did not read it, asked me to check it on the senators webpage. Took my opinion though.
Sen. McConnell: He just wanted our comments and the sen himself did not have any comment regarding immigration.
Sen. Klobucher: Has not fully reviewed what was in the frame work, took our opinion on the matter, and the staff asked for the zipcode irrespective of where you were from.
Sen. McCaskill: Their office has no opinion on the bill. She is in general support of legal immigrants. However, she wanted to see how things progress in the senate.
Sen. Tester: He opposes amnesty. took our opinion but did not want to take a stand on high skilled immigrants issue
Sen. Webb: left a message
Sen. Whitehouse: has not reviewed the framework. took my opinion.

Called Sens. Reid, Durbin, Schumer, Leahy, Feinstein, Menendez and Cardin's offices and thanked them for their support and leadership.

gc_peshwa
04-30-2010, 03:04 PM
I am done calling all listed republicans :) I thought they are the ones who mattered most as Dems are/will jump into the bandwagon sooner or later.
I am not sure if the senators will ever receive our heartfelt pleas and messages.I pray they do...
I felt like a lobbyist while calling their offices...only that I was lobbying with their staff to pass on the message.. :D

Gist: Some of the staff members (I hope not Senators) THOUGHT CIR==AMNESTY for illegals and told me point blank Senator doesnt support CIR for the same reason. I explained to them CIR is not only about illegals and amnesty and that legal immigrants will be helped a lot. These GC applicants would become their voters in near future.

Here's the status for today

Graham - spoke to staff No position on bill yet
Gregg- spoke to staff member no position sounded like she is faking noting down details
Lugar - spoke to staff promised that Senator is very supportive of CIR left my details
Enzi- spoke to staff member does not support CIR left my details
Ensign-no position on it yet
Hatch-against amnesty left details
John Kyl-supports legal immigration left details
Cornyn-voicemail
McConnell-no position yet left details with his staff

Will run through rest of the list next week.
Thanks to IV. You guys are doing a great job!

Leo07
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Cornyn Open to Working on Immigration Reform - Roll Call (http://www.rollcall.com/news/45730-1.html)

We need to get more, but obviously a good beginning.( correction in title. it's Sen Cornyn )

Administrator2
04-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Cornyn Open to Working on Immigration Reform - Roll Call (http://www.rollcall.com/news/45730-1.html)

We need to get more, but obviously a good beginning.

This is just in. Thanks for posting Leo07.

Please Please Please call Cornyn office right now.

amitga
04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Now President should unite all the democrates in senate to pass this legislation.

vbkris77
04-30-2010, 04:04 PM
I called and left VMs, I am also reaching my contact in Senator Amy Klobuchar's office.

I will positively hear from her by Monday and I will keep you posted. I am asking her to co-sponsor the effort.

This is just in. Thanks for posting Leo07.

Please Please Please call Cornyn office right now.

fightforit
04-30-2010, 04:06 PM
I faced a similar response when I called Senator Scott Brown's office. His staff member categorically stated that he is against amnesty, but is 'sympathetic' to the cause of legal immigrants. I explained that as members of IV, we are working towards legal immigration reform since the process is stagnant (without trying to diss illegal immigrants). Its an awkward situation trying to separate the two...but I think we really need to.
However, my greatest fear is that even though legal immigration reform may garner bi-partisan support, who in Congress will take it up on its own if CIR gets shot down?? Legal immigrants are in much smaller numbers than illegal ones..and will anybody take up our cause without the other?

looneytunezez
04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I just called and left message with the aide at Senator Dianne Feinstein.
She said that Senator is supporting the bill, and appreciates my support.

Next I plan to start calling other senator's office as well.

skgs2000
04-30-2010, 06:02 PM
I called each one of them! And explained to let us file 485 immeditely after 140 approval! And talked about putting us in front of line before undocumented workers!

greyhair
04-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Sen. Kyl: Has also released a press statement, did not read it, asked me to check it on the senators webpage. Took my opinion though.

Senator Jon Kyl Press Office (http://kyl.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=324534)

Kyl and Graham have released the press statement together -

Kyl, Graham Response to Partisan Democrat Immigration Proposal

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senators Jon Kyl and Lindsey Graham today made the following statement in response to the immigration reform proposal announced by Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid and other Democratic Senators:

“A conceptual paper that promises everything to everyone is not the same as responsible legislation that compiles the best ideas from both sides of the aisle. The Senate Democrats’ proposal is nothing more than an attempt to score political points. It poisons the well for those of us who are working toward a more secure border and responsible, bipartisan reform of our immigration laws.

“What is being billed as a comprehensive immigration and enforcement package, is actually far more permissive than the 2007 bill. It doesn’t provide the funding to ensure that the border is actually secured, it doesn’t end chain migration, and there is no real temporary worker program. Both of us have been involved in serious efforts to pass comprehensive immigration reform, and believe, given the increase in violence along the border, that additional border security measures must be funded immediately.

“Since 2007, threats have increased, some border technology has failed, and the American people have lost confidence in the federal government’s ability to secure our borders. So it is our belief that Congress should focus on border security first and that will eventually allow Congress to seriously consider bipartisan immigration reform, instead of politically-motivated ‘conceptual papers.’

“Most of the border enforcement measures that have been proven effective can be achieved by appropriating necessary funding. We need to work on a bipartisan basis to get this done.”

Edison99
04-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks Leo07 for the great link!
It's good beginning though.......

regacct
05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Got to step it up with Sen Brown and Sen LeMieux, along with Sen Cornyn!

vedicman
05-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks, we expect some of the offices will say this. There can be lot of answers to this question. One way to respond is -

"For last 10 years there has been no High-skilled immigration bill passed by the Congress. The world has changed in last 10 years. I understand that the Senator is a champion for creating more jobs in America. Employment based green cards will create jobs in America. I want to start my own company and hire people in America. But I cannot do that if I don't have a green card.

I would sincerely request you to please convey to the Senator if he would consider supporting some version of the immigration bill

This makes perfect sense, and thanks for the suggestion, it definitely came to use when I called the office today.

When my statement was put in this angle, Sen. Brown, Sen Greg, Sen McConnell's office took note of it, and thanked me. I told them that immigration is being held hostage with words like amnesty, and if such rhetoric is taken out, common solutions can be found between reps and dems.

ca_immigrant
05-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Great initiative by IV !! Keep it up. I will call today.

One quick point if I may please on ... "I want to start my own company and hire people in America. But I cannot do that if I don't have a green card. "

Wonder if instead of this we should say "Many of us want to start my own company and hire people in America. But I cannot do that if I don't have a green card. "

If everyone says "I want to start my own company...." not sure if that sounds true....neways...guess it is very minor a point ....

Once again !! Great initiative !!

immig4me
05-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Can the members in Texas and others call on Sen. Cornyn's office and ask him to support the bill. I just called their office, and the staff says that he has no statement from the senator, and therefore has no position as of yet. I asked him about the above report, and all he offered was "no comments"

Hope IV members step up their efforts in calling the list of Senators and post their feedback on this forum. We can learn from each others feedback and bring more pressure on these legislators.

vinvin24
05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
If there is a template for fax and regular mail, we can get more people involved in this campaign. Thank you for your efforts.

mmk123
05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Just called offices of the following senators, spoke with the assistants, explained my position and left a message. Most of them have no position yet till more details about the legislation comes in. As details unfold in nearby future, I will actually try to go meet my local senators - they are key for this legislation. Last yr, I had met my local congressman's assistant.

Thanks!

Leo07
05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Winner
05-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Can the members in Texas and others call on Sen. Cornyn's office and ask him to support the bill. I just called their office, and the staff says that he has no statement from the senator, and therefore has no position as of yet. I asked him about the above report, and all he offered was "no comments"

Hope IV members step up their efforts in calling the list of Senators and post their feedback on this forum. We can learn from each others feedback and bring more pressure on these legislators.

Not sure why they are so inconsistent, I called Sen. Cornyn's office an hour ago and spoke to one of his staff members, they told me Senator does not support the bill because of the issues he has will parts of the bill which provides undocumented works a path to citizenship, but we had a good a good conversation about the legal immigrants issues and potential solutions in the bill. She promised to convey my message to the senator.

uma001
05-03-2010, 03:43 PM
When this bill be introduced in Senate? Is it next week or next month?

indianindian2006
05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
This is The call
Don't miss the chance

IV and We suceeded in July, 2 Year EAD and many more ...

Pls pick up the phone and do your bit

IV is YOU and is Your Best Friend

Sure buddy,

did my part twice.....

Thanks

immig4me
05-04-2010, 09:57 AM
This campaign starts at 4:00 PM EST on 29th April, 2010 and will run until the end of next week. We request all IV members to call the Senate offices listed below between 9:00 AM EST and 5:00 PM EST.

So, this Campaign runs for another 3 days, IV members need to pick up the phones and start calling. Remember, if no bill is put forth before the end of May, it will be legislatively impossible to take CIR this year.

It all boils down to, how much are we willing to help our own cause.

amitjoey
05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Please call atleast 4 offices at a minimum each day. So in the next 3 days we can reach 12 offices per member. That is at a minimum each member should do.

Winner
05-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Just called Senator Judd Gregg and conveyed my message.

new_horizon
05-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Called all Senators in Tier 1
Scott Brown - Will pass message. Initially confused with illegal immigration which the senator is against.
Judd Gregg - Will pass message
Richard Lugar - Supports high skilled provisions
Michael Enzi - Will pas message. Does not know the position.
Lindsey Graham - Left message
John Ensign - Senator opposes CIR. But will convey message re. our provisions.
Orin Hatch - Left message
John Cornyn - Will pass message. No position yet
John Kyl - Will pass message
Mitch Mcconnel - Will pass message. No position yet.
Amy Klobuchar - Will pass message. No position yet.
Claire McCaskill - Left message.
Jon Tester - Will pass message. No position yet.
Jim Webb - Will pass message. No position yet.
Sheldon Whitehouse - Will pass message. Reviewing the bill.

EternityInLimbo
05-04-2010, 02:50 PM
He's been an advocate on backlog issues, and his staff had helped look into my case last year. I used his web site to send him an email (for VA residents only), slightly modifying the phone script to thank him, since I finally got my green card in November. Will post response when I receive it.

anantc
05-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Contacted and spoke to Secretary of following Senators:

Each one said that Senator is in the process of framing the Bill/Reform and working on it.

Keep going IV and its members, We can do it.... again.

dreamgc_real
05-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Called the Republican Senators in Tier 1 late yesterday evening.

>Sen Brown: He is against amnesty, but will look at our proposals
>Sen Gregg: Will review the draft
>Sen Lugar: Has supported immigration bill before, will give the message
>Sen. Ensign: Against amnesty, will pass message regarding our provisions
>Sen. Graham: Left the message
>Sen. Hatch: Left the message
>Sen Enzi: Left message

Offices closed, will call the rest today.

Positive
05-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Thank you for all of you who made the calls.

Calls are only the start. Remember, the other side is also doing the same -sometimes outsourcing calls.

Remember we all spend hours in US consulates waiting for our turn. What is now stopping us to make a personal visit. Explaining your story in person is far more effective than a call or an email.

Winner
05-05-2010, 09:35 AM
He's been an advocate on backlog issues, and his staff had helped look into my case last year. I used his web site to send him an email (for VA residents only), slightly modifying the phone script to thank him, since I finally got my green card in November. Will post response when I receive it.

Thanks for helping us our even after getting your GC.

amitjoey
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks EternityInLimbo for going out of your way to help the rest of us that are stuck. Not many people come back and help out with IV action items once they get their greencards.

BRK
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Good job!
I was able to call few too and left messages for each.
Hopefully some kind of progress and approval is achieved.
I will call the remaining senators on the list in the next few days.

uma001
05-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Are you guys calling during work hours?
Are you guys calling from cell phone?

amitjoey
05-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I am on the west coast, so I call East coast senators before work (Just one or two offices) and then the rest at Lunch time. I use my cell phone.

desigirl
05-06-2010, 09:00 AM
I have asked a few of my friends to call the list too. And I did another round of calling Tier 1 republicans only. It was pretty much the same response as the last time. I think that is their standard way of answering, - to sit on the fence.

Unless these issues are being discussed and called to vote, they will pander to whoever is talking. But, I think we still need to put continued pressure on them, hence the friends :)

nagio
05-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I called
John Ensign
John Cornyn
John Kyl - Had to leave message
Lindsay Graham
Judd Gregg
Scott Brown
Michael Enzi

amitjoey
05-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Our Phone calls are making the desired effect, Now they are probably keeping a tally of the calls. If we keep calling, we will have the desired effect. Please call-everybody that has not. Please step up.

Leo07
05-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Any sample letters to Senators with the 'text' outlined for this current cause?
I'm thinking duly signed letters have more impact.

laborchic
05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Called first 7 from the list

Brown, Gregg, Lugar, Enzi, Graham, Hatch Cornyn, Kyl

Will try to get to the rest of them later in the day.

amitjoey
05-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Any sample letters to Senators with the 'text' outlined for this current cause?
I'm thinking duly signed letters have more impact.

We have sent letters in the past only to get a standard CANNED answer. It is my opinion that the letters we send do not have any impact, cos as soon as they see "Immigration" as the subject, they (staff) sends the standard letter they have definining the position back.

I do not mean to discourage you, but the need of the hour is to call all the senators. There are 100 of them.

If you were going to do something in addition to the phone calls, Please set up an appointment w/the senator or staff and do a 20 minute Powerpoint presentation. That is more effective.

Leo07
05-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I appreciate your comments! I was contemplating what's more effective. I think I agree with you now.:)
We have sent letters in the past only to get a standard CANNED answer. It is my opinion that the letters we send do not have any impact, cos as soon as they see "Immigration" as the subject, they (staff) sends the standard letter they have definining the position back.

I do not mean to discourage you, but the need of the hour is to call all the senators. There are 100 of them.

If you were going to do something in addition to the phone calls, Please set up an appointment w/the senator or staff and do a 20 minute Powerpoint presentation. That is more effective.

ronhira
05-06-2010, 01:58 PM
just found this online ni one of the articles

Twelve states - Arkansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas and Utah - have introduced or are considering introducing legislation similar to the one in Arizona.

gc28262
05-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Called all Tier1 Senators and left/passed on the message

i4u
05-06-2010, 04:00 PM
called one more round - both sets.
Build the pressure..........

amitjoey
05-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Please help us help ourselves. If we do not mount pressure, we will have ourselves to blame for the next 10 years.
Please call all TIER 1 senators first.

amitjoey
05-06-2010, 04:54 PM
The calls need to be in hundreds a day not 3 or 4 calls a day.

amitjoey
05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
During previous phone call campaigns, our members came out w/huge numbers and were instrumental in getting the support. This I know because the Senators office phones were just constantly busy and once you started mentioning high skilled, they would know and finish your statements for you. This time though, that does not seem to be the case. Please, please step up. I just called 4 out of TIER 1 again.

harivenkat
05-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Called all senators some of them twice and talked to their staff
asking to support highly skilled worker immigration atleast some piecemeal.. also explained them our plight ... 10yrs still no GC

Everybody please call senators and make a difference

sri1309
05-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Guys,
I was very busy till today.
I'll call all the #s tomorrow and let them know how important is the CIR for legal immigration, and how I am not able to buy a house, or start a company, as I have no greencard inspite of waiting for 8-10 years. Not to forget I am from India and it is severely backlogged. Also we have jobs, so we're not taking away anything.

I have to be very brief. So please let me know if I'm missing any impo point.

immig4me
05-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Called 3 of the senators in tier one. Their responses from the first days to now is slightly different. Initially, they would say that they are against amnesty or we have not read the draft..... now the responses are like, the senator is reviewing the draft, he understands that you have followed the law.......
I hope this is because of our efforts; please IV members continue with this phone campaign, even if you have already called once. Encourage your friends to do the same. This will make a difference guys, we are making the difference :)

StarSun
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Please call the Senator offices repeatedly and ask your friends to call the senators too. This is very important for CIR.

We are making a difference.........

keerthisagar
05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Guys,
I was very busy till today.
I'll call all the #s tomorrow and let them know how important is the CIR for legal immigration, and how I am not able to buy a house, or start a company, as I have no greencard inspite of waiting for 8-10 years. Not to forget I am from India and it is severely backlogged. Also we have jobs, so we're not taking away anything.

I have to be very brief. So please let me know if I'm missing any impo point.

Just follow what pappu has said on the first page. We need to stay on message.

srisra
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
i called 3 senators so far,

they r not sharing the senators stand but they are saying we understand this and we will pass on your message.

thay did not note anything. they did not ask name & other details also.

am i doing correct or am i missing anything?

saketkapur
05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
can cal we also have an efax campaign going alongside??

amitjoey
05-07-2010, 02:28 PM
i called 3 senators so far,

they r not sharing the senators stand but they are saying we understand this and we will pass on your message.

thay did not note anything. they did not ask name & other details also.

am i doing correct or am i missing anything?

You are doing everything right.

amitjoey
05-07-2010, 02:29 PM
I do not believe we have a efax campaign right now. Faxes and letters do not seem to get the attention like phone calls and personal visits do.

imh1b
05-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I was able to call 8 offices during my lunch hour yesterday. I also called my local Senator's office. I will try to call more next week.

uma001
05-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I sent an email to Lindsey Graham.

I received the following reply from him.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you.

Due to the large volume of mail I receive, I regret that I am only able to respond personally to inquiries from South Carolinians.

As we continue our work in the 111th Congress, I look forward to supporting our troops in the War on Terror, repairing our economy and creating jobs, strengthening Social Security, lowering the tax burden on American families, and making the federal government more accountable and efficient.

If your correspondence pertains to a scheduling request, please fax your request to (202) 224-3808.

Sincerely,

Lindsey Graham

greyhair
05-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I finished calling all Senators for the 2nd time. It feels good talking with them about my green card. I also called my Senators in CA. The person on the phone said they support CIR and green cards.

vine93
05-10-2010, 03:49 PM
First I called my few freinds in MT, WY and RI. Passed on info them since they are local.
Then I called all of them . Now a days they do not even transfer to the right person who deals with Immigration issues. They just ask for the message and pass on to them .

Well..I did my part.

Thanks.

StarSun
05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Please continue to call the senators on the list and post the feedback on this thread

silibili
05-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Hello all,
I have finished calling all the republicans from the list. here are my
experiences. Most senator aides were patient and took down messages, i
have listed the different ones.

Senator Judd Gregg (R-New Hampshire) : does support high skilled
provisions...*yay*

Senator Michael Enzi (R-Wyoming) : aide was very patient and chatted
abt legal immigration reform and took name, number, zip , msg to pass
to senator.

Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) : went to vm twice. left vm

Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas) : aide not very patient. asked to call
my state senator.

Senator John Kyl (R-Texas) : aide was very patient, and understanding,
and had a chat about current immigration scenario. Senator Kyl is
supportive of legal immigration, he intro/supported one bill for us in
2007 but it failed to pass. He said that the senate politics is not
letting high skilled immigration reform pass. he does not support
amnesty, he wants border secured, etc before fixing broken legal
system

Please call and share your experience.

Thanks.

vedicman
05-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Called all the offices this morning. Will post the feed backs later in the afternoon. It was encouraging with a few senators.

Winner
05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Called Senator Ensign and Hatch's office again.

They both listened to what I had to say and assured that they will pass the message on to the Senators.

One of the aides sounded surprised when I told her average wait time is at least 10+ years, please call senators in the list.

regacct
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Couple more days left on this phone campaign. Please flood the GOP senate offices with phone calls asking them to support the CIR framework.
They need to hear from us (the other side of the coin), to believe that there are people in their constituency that want these changes/reforms.....

augustus
05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I called the senator in MA. He doesn't support the bill but I did say we cannot be equated with illegals. I begged for them to bring skilled immigration out in the open.

I hope we make difference.

amitjoey
05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
2 more days. Please call. those who have not please help.

gc28262
05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Called all Tier1 Senators and left/passed on the message

Called Tier2 Senators and left message.

immig4me
05-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Don't wait any longer

Everyone must call

Thank You for helping Yourself

CALL Call call call Call CALL

ca_immigrant
05-14-2010, 03:12 PM
just called

(202) 224-4543

I must say since it was my first call I was fumbling for the words...-:) even though I had pappu's message in front....

but the person at the other ed heard patiently and said thank you !!

forgot to ask what the senator stand on it was...

everybody go for it call all the senators !!! I will call more...now

eastindia
05-14-2010, 03:20 PM
I made 5 calls today during my lunch time. It looked like they were getting our message and writing it down.

amitjoey
05-14-2010, 05:55 PM
you can still call the senators on the west coast- you got 2 more hours.
Please call.

imh1b
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Is this campaign over? or can we still call. I can make some calls today.

uma001
05-19-2010, 10:59 AM
This is the reply I got form Nevada Senator

Thank you for contacting me regarding immigration reform. I value the opinions of every Nevadan and am grateful to those who take the time to inform me of their views.

America is a nation of immigrants but also a nation of laws. The national security of the United States depends on an immigration policy that first and foremost secures our borders. Our immigration policy also must demand accountability from those who hire illegal workers by creating a national employee verification system that employers would be required to use to verify the legal status of their employees and imposing severe penalties for employers who hire illegal workers. We should welcome those who want to enter the country legally, learn English, maintain employment, pay taxes, and contribute to our communities. We should not have to accept those who are not working full time; who have committed a crime or may present a danger to American citizens or legal immigrants; or who go on, or are likely to go on, public assistance or become dependent on any other government program.

I think we can all agree that our current immigration system is broken and that our schools, hospitals, and law enforcement are bearing the weight of its failures. Our prison system is overcrowded, and costs incurred from incarcerating criminal aliens continue to rise. The Department of Justice estimates that one in five federal prisoners, and more than one in ten state prisoners in Nevada, are non-U.S. citizens. That is why I support the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement initiatives that give state and local law enforcement the necessary tools to stem illegal behavior, such as the expansion of the Rapid Removal of Eligible Parolees Accepted for Transfer (REPAT) program. The REPAT program paroles non-violent criminal aliens serving state sentences so they can be deported. In Nevada, 2,560 criminal aliens were flagged for removal in Fiscal Year 2008 and 2,183 in Fiscal Year 2009. Reform is necessary and should be in America's best interests and not encourage additional illegal behavior.

Once again, thank you for contacting me on this very important issue. If you should have any further questions or comments or would like to sign up for my monthly newsletter, please feel free to write or e-mail me via my website at John Ensign, United States Senator of Nevada: Home (http://ensign.senate.gov).

Sincerely,

JOHN ENSIGN

United States Senator

JE/RD

Duc1
05-20-2010, 07:14 PM
I just came across this thread. Is this campaign still on?

eastindia
05-21-2010, 02:04 PM
I am calling again today. Called 3 offices till now.

amitjoey
05-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I just came across this thread. Is this campaign still on?

You are welcome to call- If you did not do it earlier.

amitjoey
05-24-2010, 02:10 PM
If you have not called during the campaign, Please do so now.

gk_2000
06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Thank you for contacting me to share your suggestions and thoughts on immigration reform. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

It is tremendously helpful for me to hear suggestions from constituents about how Congress can act to improve this country's immigration policy and I will be certain to keep your concerns in mind. Moreover, any comprehensive change to our immigration system should only be considered after a complete analysis of the full consequences.

Once again, thank you for your letter. I value your opinion and hope that you will continue to share your thoughts and ideas with me. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website .: United States Senator Dianne Feinstein, California :: Home :. (http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/). You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list at .: United States Senator Dianne Feinstein, California :: E-Newsletter Signup :. (http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ENewsletterSignup.Signup). Feel free to checkout my YouTube page YouTube - SenatorFeinstein's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/Senatorfeinstein)