PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem at Rally

uslegals
09-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I could not find the link/video to the national anthem sung by Pankaj.! I would appreciate it if somebody can post it here please. thanks!

Pankaj - if ur reading - man u did a marvellous job.!!

pankajkakkar
09-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Thank you uslegals.

paskal
09-20-2007, 07:08 PM
are sung at a variety of places as a mark of respect.
we went to make a point. nobody was forced to do anything.
our point was that we were interested in being american.
people can disagree and that's fine too. frankly have not
heard much of that though...

i think pankaj did a great job and deserves much praise for it!

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Everyone here aspires to be a future citizen of the United States of America. If GC process didn't have problems, we would already have been citizens. Those who haven't learn't to sing it, should do so soon. It can be asked in the naturalization quiz.

vandanaverdia
09-20-2007, 07:14 PM
YES!! I agree... We went to make a point... and one doesnt have to be an American citizen to be able to sing one too....
Pankaj did a great job... And it was awesome to hear him sing. So much so that even Congressman McDermott commented that he sand better than the congressman himself.
Three cheers to Pankaj.

franklin
09-20-2007, 07:21 PM
We are not here illegally. We are proud to be highly skilled, in demand and in America to improve American competitiveness.

The National Anthem was sung (and thank you Panjak, you brought a tear to my eye) as we are waiting patiently in line.

It was sung as a mark of respect to the country of which we aspire to eventually become citizens of, and that play host to us. Its the same reason we held the American and State flags up high and proud during the walk.

It is a powerful statement

gsc999
09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
It is always an honor and mark of respect to sing national anthem of a country that has given us so much and whose citizen we aspire to become.

bestofall
09-20-2007, 08:23 PM
You stolen all our Hearts :)

Thanks

JazzByTheBay
09-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Citizenship comes 5 years later, if one's interested (and may not be everyone's goal).

Singing a country's national anthem is also different than taking the pledge of allegiance (the latter means you are pledging your loyalty to the United States):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

Having said that, excellent job Pankaj!! You had the crowds mesmerized!

jazz

Everyone here aspires to be a future citizen of the United States of America. If GC process didn't have problems, we would already have been citizens. Those who haven't learn't to sing it, should do so soon. It can be asked in the naturalization quiz.

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Point noted. So we sang it for respect. So from what you say, it is possible for one to remain on green card forever? what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Citizenship comes 5 years later, if one's interested (and may not be everyone's goal).

Singing a country's national anthem is also different than taking the pledge of allegiance (the latter means you are pledging your loyalty to the United States):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

Having said that, excellent job Pankaj!! You had the crowds mesmerized!

jazz

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 09:43 PM
What Pankaj did was great. The idea was really great - earlier we made a youtube video that is linked on IVs front page and that also has the anthem in it - when I did that I was having the same thought - whether it would be a good idea??? But then I thought, offcourse , why not???? Just because anti immigrants hate us, it does not mean we don't belong here, we very much belong here and are a part of this society.

We must all be proud that we are here - remember - we may have come from different countries but now this is our home - offocurse tough situations may prompt people to return or many may not have a sense of patriotism.

Anthems must be sung from the heart and with a sense of patriotism and Pankaj did exactly that.

thescadaman
09-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi Pankaj,

You sang the National Anthem very well. I have been here in US for about 5 years now and for the first time; I felt that I was part of America and this could be my country. I felt goose bumps when I heard you sing the Anthem.

Thank You. And yes, you did sing it from your heart and only then can it have such a magical effect on everyone who was listening.

Thanks,
Thescadaman

dressking
09-20-2007, 10:50 PM
I have been at many occasions when the national anthem was sung. At each occasion, as soon as the song was sung, everybody in the crowd sang along out loud. So I expected the crowd in this rally to sing along as well. But it was all silence. I felt really embarrassed.

swede
09-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Really great job on the singing Pankaj!!! It was really impressive!

Even though it was not really the anthem for anyone there, it was a nice gesture to sing the national anthem of the people we are asking to help us. Plus, it is the only anthem that we all have in common...
Also, you have chosen to move to this country, please have the courtesy to adapt to American values. Singing the national anthem is always right.

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I have been at many occasions when the national anthem was sung. At each occasion, as soon as the song was sung, everybody in the crowd sang together out loud. So I expected the crowd in this rally to sing as well. But it was all silence. I felt really embarrassed.

Unfortunately no one knew the lyrics - this is an eye opener to all - one must lknow at the least star spangled banner if he/she wants a GC and finally become a citizen

paskal
09-20-2007, 11:09 PM
I have been at many occasions when the national anthem was sung. At each occasion, as soon as the song was sung, everybody in the crowd sang together out loud. So I expected the crowd in this rally to sing as well. But it was all silence. I felt really embarrassed.

no one knew the words
maybe now some people will learn them..and thank pankaj for the inspiration :)

english_august
09-20-2007, 11:36 PM
I thought that was the point of this thread. If someone has the video, please upload it to You Tube so that I can provide a link to it. I've heard that Congressman McDermott said that Pankaj sang the national anthem even better than him!!

franklin
09-21-2007, 01:44 AM
We are not here illegally. We are proud to be highly skilled, in demand and in America to improve American competitiveness.

The National Anthem was sung (and thank you Panjak, you bought a tear to my eye) as we are waiting patiently in line.

It was sung as a mark of respect to the country of which we aspire to eventually become citizens of. Its the same reason we held the American and State flags up high and proud during the walk.

It is a powerful statement

Sorry to whoever left me some nasty negative comment. I merely meant to say it was sung in respect for the country we are in. It is common courtesy.

I apologize for having upset you by my comment.

dressking
09-21-2007, 07:21 AM
I did not feel like signing along for two reasons: we are not US citizen yet, and I consider myself citizen of the world and will always be. I do not aspire to become citizen of the United States of America.

Even when Americans sang their national anthem in a church, I felt not right. Churches are not supposed to be linked to states. There should be no country boundary within the Christian world.

There should be no country boundary within the world we want to build either.

By the way, if the United States go to war with your country of birth, who will you side with? Will the United States trust you?

chanduv23
09-21-2007, 07:29 AM
I did not feel like signing along for two reasons: we are not US citizen yet, and I consider myself citizen of the world and will always be. I do not aspire to become citizen of the United States of America.

Even when Americans sang their national anthem in a church, I felt not right. Churches are not supposed to be linked to states. There should be no country boundary with in the Christian world.

There should be no country boundary within the world we want to be build either. If the United States go to war with your country of birth, who will you side with? Will the United States trust you?

You have a point - yes, we are all different nationalities, as a matter of fact we even waved the American Flags.

The only reason I can see is - we have embraced America. Here we are fighting a political battle and we do not even have the right to vote.

mbawa2574
09-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Pankaj did a great job by Singing it . From Strategic point of view-I feel Singing American National Anthem when you are not even a Permanent Resident not to talk about Citizenship was a over reaction just to show Americans, how assimilated we are . Every other activity in the rally looked great except the national Anthem singing. Generally whenever you sing someone else's National Anthem, protocol is that it is either preceded or followed by your own. We still owe allegiance to the country whose passports we hold. Just my 2 cents....

uslegals
09-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Friends - this thread was mainly for a pat on the back to PK since he did such a fine job singing it.! IV had no malicious interest in singing the US OR NOT singing the Indian anthem at the rally..!! Our effort thru the rally is to show how we have adapted to this country (USA). There is no point in posing a hypothetical Q like if the US attacks ur mother country (sorry dressking..ur way out of line.!)..that ain't happening.! I am an Indian first and i will take that to the grave..!! We all walked the rally and were present there so that we could try and address the political system of this country reg. our plight.! I don't see any reason for this thread to be turned into a political one...whether how he sang it...what should have been done before or after PK sang it, etc...THE LARGER PICTURE is that IV has respected the US national anthem and has not disrespected the INDIAN national anthem.!! The RALLY surely had a positve impact (read all the news articles...no one commented about the anthem.!).. Again this is the first time that the rally has been conducted on this scale and YES we are learning on what can or cannot be done for the next one.!!
BTW - is there a link for this video..?????????????
Hope u all are enjoying ur FRIDAY..!!

swede
09-21-2007, 10:22 AM

Even when Americans sang their national anthem in a church, I felt not right. Churches are not supposed to be linked to states. There should be no country boundary within the Christian world.

By the way, if the United States go to war with your country of birth, who will you side with? Will the United States trust you?

Newsflash: USA is a country (with a boundary). USA has a national anthem. They like to sing it, everywhere. If it makes them happy when I sing it, I will sing it too. It is like visiting someone's home and you are asked to take off your shoes at the entrance. Maybe you don't agree with it, but out of respect to the host it is a nice thing to do.

Relax and be more generous! I think you have more boundaries in you than this country has.
(If USA goes to war with my home country, I think they will trust me less if I come here and live and refuse to sing the national anthem...)

uslegals
09-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Way to go SWEDE..! I like that..!!

akhilmahajan
09-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Folks, the idea of this thread was to appreciate what Pankaj did and i am sure everyone agrees with me that he did a wonderful job.

To do it or not to do it, is a totally different thing.
This is a learning process and this rally was done for the first time. So, there were a lot of lessons learned.

We will do a better job in the next rally.
Instead of worrying about the rights and the wrongs, lets spread the words, lets get some more local lawmakers meetings, lets educate ppl about the issue.

Come on folks lets use this wonderful oppurtunity to advance our cause, lets use this positive energy to educate ppl more about LEGAL IMMIGRATION.

IV is a platform where we can unite and get things done together. IV does its best, but IV wants individuals to try at their personal level.

Come on guuys so lets start working on positive things and lets keep on moving forward.

GO IV GO

JazzByTheBay
09-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Singing a country's national anthem and pledging allegiance to it are two different things. Scroll up and read my prev response.

Pride yourself on being a citizen of the world as you do, in normal course you have to be a citizen of at least one country to be able to receive a passport and travel the same world.... :)

As someone else pointed out, this thread is to appreciate the passion with which Pankaj sang the anthem. End of Story.

jazz

rajsand
09-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Newsflash: USA is a country (with a boundary). USA has a national anthem. They like to sing it, everywhere. If it makes them happy when I sing it, I will sing it too. It is like visiting someone's home and you are asked to take off your shoes at the entrance. Maybe you don't agree with it, but out of respect to the host it is a nice thing to do.

Relax and be more generous! I think you have more boundaries in you than this country has.

(If USA goes to war with my home country, I think they will trust me less if I come here and live and refuse to sing the national anthem...)

If you dont take off the shoes at the entrance, maybe you are showing disrespect.
But by not singing their NAnthem, dont think it means disrespect !
If we sing each nation's anthem and leave out theirs, this will mean disrespect. !

I think we are not yet permenant residents of this country .. so singing the NAnthem does not look appropriate. But due compliments to Pankaj, He has a wonderful voice!
You never know what will happen to our GCs!! So lets remmember where we are from & what state we are now, that will help us to be more pragmatic.

And about the war thing, my conscience may not permit me to support another nation at this point in time!!
Please dont be offended , just sharing thoughts!

uslegals
09-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Stop polluting this thread..! Please stand on your respective street corners and voice your opinion...!!!

paskal
09-21-2007, 11:16 AM
guys,

you need to understand why we were in DC. you also need to think about what message we were sending. each person's philosophy about national anthems is not at issue here. this is a pointless discussion. frankly i am tired of people (i am one) that do not live in their countries but lose no opportunity to retreat in jingoistic nationalism. want want want...but no give?
if no one has serious objection, i will close this thread shortly. the above comments are not for any specific person/poster. just a general view.

natrajs
09-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Why sing American Anthem?

Dear Friend

Thatís the difference between the last generation immigrants and us.

When they came to us they embrace America as their homeland, and keep their roots. But we are not, because of that we let Americans suspicious about us.

I don't want you to forget your roots, Keep it as it also embrace the place where you live and earning your daily bread and butter.

franklin
09-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Go ahead Paskal, close the thread.

1 last congrats to the singer though :)