PDA

View Full Version : Thank that European

leoindiano
09-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I want to thank this european who got his greencard 2 weeks back but still attended the rally. There may be more heroes like this. I was in a group of people when we spoke to him, didnt catch his name as i was encouraging bypassers to honk their cars to support our cause.

He is over 6 foot, in immigration voice t-shirt and blue jeans. He is swedish...Please share his name if anybody knows....

visves
09-19-2007, 01:35 PM
There was another russian gentleman who got his green card 6 months back and is a student now. Yet, he had driven 3 hours from NJ just to cheer us. He mentioned that he understands how painful this process is and wanted to encourage us by attending.

I want to thank this european who got his greencard 2 weeks back but still attended the rally. There may be more heroes like this. I was in a group of people when we spoke to him, didnt catch his name as i was encouraging bypassers to honk their cars to support our cause.

He is over 6 foot, in immigration voice t-shirt and blue jeans. He is swedish...Please share his name if anybody knows....

newuser
09-19-2007, 01:46 PM
I met an Indian who got his green card in year2003. Still he attended to give moral support to IV. Hats off to all those guys who made it to the rally even after getting there GC's. Hopefully those people who are still stuck in the GC mess realize the importance to actively participate in the events organized by IV.

swede
09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I was the guy from Sweden. I agree with the Russian student.
The reason I was there was because my green card process was a painful and stressful experience for 5 years. And I was still one of the lucky ones! I don't want to put anyone through the same agony, not even my worst enemy. I really feel for the people still stuck in the mess.

I talked to a Polish guy who had been here 9 years fully legally and could not leave. He had not seen his family in 9 years and did not want to risk going back just in case they would not approve his H1B in his home country. They are very strict there it seems, because none of his family members or friends could not even get a tourist nor visit visa to see his graduation. Shocking!

I was glad I showed up at the rally just to hear all the peoples' stories.
Most people who did not show up probably think they are ok after applying the i485. They will join IV rallies, when they realize how wrong they are. People have applied for i485s years ago and still don't have a green card...
You are in trouble until you get your green card in your hand.

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
There were few employers too who attended the rally because they believed in the cause.

I spoke to a French guy, forgot his IV handle, he got his EAD recently, he flew all the way from Miami, he googled up immigration and found IV 2 weeks back, looked at the rally stuff and came and attended the rally.

Hats of to all these people who have respected IV with passion.

leoindiano
09-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks Swede,

You set a great example to this community.

smisachu
09-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Swede, Thank you. We need more people like you.
And to think of it so many people who could come to the rally, who are struck in the logjam and should come to the rally, did not come. It is a shame!!

It goes to show that IV represents everyone and not just Indians or Chinese. I am proud of all the Brits and other Europeans who not only joined the fight but led it from the front.

The reason I was there was because my green card process was a painful and stressful experience for 5 years. And I was still one of the lucky ones! I don't want to put anyone through the same agony, not even my worst enemy. I really feel for the people still stuck in the mess.

I talked to a Polish guy who had been here 9 years fully legally and could not leave. He had not seen his family in 9 years and did not want to risk going back just in case they would not approve his H1B in his home country. They are very strict there it seems, because none of his family members or friends could not even get a tourist nor visit visa to see his graduation. Shocking!

Most people who did not show up probably think they are ok after applying the i485. They will join IV rallies, when they realize how wrong they are. People have applied for i485s years ago and still don't have a green card...

milind70
09-19-2007, 04:20 PM
There were few employers too who attended the rally because they believed in the cause.

I spoke to a French guy, forgot his IV handle, he got his EAD recently, he flew all the way from Miami, he googled up immigration and found IV 2 weeks back, looked at the rally stuff and came and attended the rally.

Hats of to all these people who have respected IV with passion.

His name is Yann ,I hosted him .

tnite
09-19-2007, 04:32 PM
His name is Yann ,I hosted him .

myself , chandu , siddhi, poonam and tikka had lunch with him at the Union Station and he did tell us his experiences .
Ppl on their own have to realize the importance of a movement like this .No amount of convincing by friends/relatives would make any difference.

Hats off to ppl like Yann , Swede who really understood what this rally was all about...

gcpuzzle
09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Awesome, ur IV family appreciate you. Folks like you are inspiration to all of us.

wonderlust
09-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I was with Swede and the Polish guy at the rally. I myself chose IV over other organization precisely because the diversity and the common ground IV embraces--they represent the true American Dream and the fundation of Democracy.

The diversity: IV was initially established by a group of Indians, but it has a welcoming attitudes toward anyone who has suffered, is still suffering, and will suffer from the broken system.

The common ground: IV clearly estabishes that English is the language for the forum (at least the main forum). By setting the language, the IV sends a message of welcome to all who share the American Dream. By including individuals across countries of origin, IV recognizes the nature of the Great Melting-pot and shows that we have the ability to be inclusive, tolerant, and work together on a democratic basis.

Let's make efforts to mobilize people across countries of origin and work towards success! KEEP IV STRONG!

wonderlust
09-19-2007, 11:18 PM
I was also with a Philipino fellow who flew into DC on the very morning of 18th for the rally. Another guy from Vietnam was with us too!

Keep IV strong!!!

gsc999
09-19-2007, 11:50 PM
I also met several American citizens who were passing by and were curious about the rally. Me and JazzbytheBay explained and they listened patiently. One hour later I saw them marching with us holding flowers that some of our volunteers were distributing to passer bys. One gentleman was a school teacher.

IV needs grassroot support from half a million people stuck in various stages of green card process. You can be from any country. We welcome and invite members from all countries and communities to join our efforts.

Additionally, one of our best friends can be American citizen who understand the issue from economic, personal and other perspectives. If they become part of our voice we will become more effective.

Each one of us has to become "IV brand ambassador" and present our issue in right perspective to counter so much misinformation floated by some vested interests. Yes, you can do it. We can facilitate.

swede
09-20-2007, 02:23 PM
The diversity:
The common ground:

Justice for all.

It doesn't matter where we come from. The system unfair to everyone, and even more unfair to some.
It's not so important how much you contribute or how many posts you write in the forum.
It is more important that you spread the word and make people understand the problem.
It was very encouraging to see all at the rally and that people actually took time to read our signs and then agreed with us. Having US citizens join the rally is awesome! True American spirit!

I hope to see more people at the next rally. I can recommend it.
And remember:
"If you don't care about your own future, no one else will."

wonderlust
09-20-2007, 04:57 PM
I totoally agree. We need to educate people who are not familiar with the legal immigration system.

For the organized efforts of IV Brand Ambassador--one of my American friend, who is a retiree suggested that I go to present at the retirement center. The retirement center he has in mind houses mostly well-off retired professionals and active AARP members. My friend said these people have strong influence because their established financial and social status--even political status.

Would IV be facilitating/ organizing on-going efforts across states to really deliver our message to American citizens?

Thank you.
Wonderlust

I also met several American citizens who were passing by and were curious about the rally. Me and JazzbytheBay explained and they listened patiently. One hour later I saw them marching with us holding flowers that some of our volunteers were distributing to passer bys. One gentleman was a school teacher.

Additionally, one of our best friends can be American citizen who understand the issue from economic, personal and other perspectives. If they become part of our voice we will become more effective.

Each one of us has to become "IV brand ambassador" and present our issue in right perspective to counter so much misinformation floated by some vested interests. Yes, you can do it. We can facilitate.

guyfromsg
09-20-2007, 08:13 PM

IV needs grassroot support from half a million people stuck in various stages of green card process. You can be from any country. We welcome and invite members from all countries and communities to join our efforts.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kannansm/ImmigartionVoiceDCRally18Sep07/photo#5111764333601260802

The guy in black shirt/pant is he a IV member? Next to him is definitely an american Kid. If they indeed are american citizens that listened to our cause and joined the rally, hats off to them.

gsc999
09-20-2007, 08:17 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/kannansm/ImmigartionVoiceDCRally18Sep07/photo#5111764333601260802

The guy in black shirt/pant is he a IV member? Next to him is definitely an american Kid. If they indeed are american citizens that listened to our cause and joined the rally, hats off to them.
---
Yes, thats them. Thanks for the find.

IVers do you see my point, Americans are very understanding people. If you can explain your case then they will join you and make you stronger.

Cheers!

digital2k
09-20-2007, 11:31 PM
We are a global family with global concerns.

Thank You Everyone ...

Some people had been concerned re: the numbers, would have been great to have 30,000 but all those who attended were strongly motivated and were equal to 30,000. Its great to have like minded, strongly oriented.
We should learn from all those who participated and get motivated NOW.

Please think from this :

IV Press Release on one site :

Most Viewed (Last 7 days)
Immigration Voice Rally on Sept 18 for Highly Skilled Legal Immigrants - 2121 views

United we Stand All

dressking
09-20-2007, 11:50 PM
I think the spirit of those who have got their Green Cards and still come can be summed up as "Fight for what is right first. Fight for our rights second."

I think those who are having a fight inside the camp do not have that spirit. That is why they can not agree on things.

paskal
09-21-2007, 12:01 AM
swede and wonderlust:

this organization is strong and growing everyday because of the efforts of volunteers like you. thank you from all of us for your enthusiasm and motivation. iv does not seek to represent any one nationality, group or skillset. Once you start dividing there is no end. india vs row? EB2 vs EB3? STEM vs other? US degree vs Foreign Degree? BEC vs new filers? we have seen all these food fights take place. will it ever stop?

the goal is to end retrogression for all. if this happens incremental steps then the movement will continue until the whole goal is achieved. we, as a community of skilled immigrants cannot afford to be fractured. if we are not speaking with one voice, we will be ignored and those that oppose us will easily block our measures from going forward. among other things we learnt from this rally is that there are still those that seek to pursue narrow and divisive agendas within our movement. this will lead to sure failure, and each one of us will suffer for it.

as i have reminded folks here on numerous occasions, iv is not a brick and mortar structure. we are iv, and there is no iv but us. we determine it's strength and weakness and we shall determine its (and therefore our) success and failure.

some here fear what will happen when the current leadership get green cards. will iv go the way of skilled immigrant organizations of the past?
the answer to that too lies within us. a turnover of leadership is but natural over time. if new people are unwilling to step up and be active volunteers, start state chapters, create new initiatives and bring renewed vigor to this movement it shall die out. if new volunteers will not come forward in a fresh stream then maybe we don't deserve this. we are the arbitrators of our destiny.

i believe though we are more worthy than that.
the rally has also shown us (especially me- given that i took upon myself the task of working with state chapters) that there are very dedicated and highly motivated members in this organization that will work selflessly and give up much to ensure success. my grateful thanks to the many who made my life so much easier these past few months.

wonderlust, if you have initiatives to take the message out to the community, iv will surely help you in every which way possible. please pm pappu with your idea!

paskal
09-21-2007, 10:22 AM

swede
09-21-2007, 10:38 AM
swede and wonderlust:

the goal is to end retrogression for all. if this happens incremental steps then the movement will continue until the whole goal is achieved.

That should be the only goal. I am hoping that IV does not need to exist in the future, that everyone legal is getting a fair treatment, but that looks far away right now. Until then people need to fight.

I can understand and accept that US wants to promote certain groups of people for their skills, such as doctors and nurses since there is a shortage of them right now. US educated, since they have helped the US economy and school system and so on. But the core goal should still be fair treatment for all. No retrogression for legal professionals.

payur
09-21-2007, 04:01 PM
My sincere thanks to swede, franklin and to all folks who got permanent resident card and still made it to the rally!!

You guys are awesome!!! :cool: