PDA

View Full Version : From IV:Thank you all for coming and being a part of this effort

pappu
09-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Immigrationvoice would like to thank everyone for coming to this rally and making this a huge success. Thank you to all those who contributed or helped in action items. Every bit of help mattered in this rally.

We have received good feedback from the lawmakers and we want to continue this momentum. We would be soon posting our agenda items. At this time, pls continue to meet your local lawmaker offices. If you were unable to come to the rally, then contact your state chapter leader and seek their guidance. Then go and meet your local lawmakers. The success of this effort depends on the participation from everyone.

We will be posting more updates, action items and information soon. I came back last night overjoyed by the successes and enthusiasm of our members. I need to catch up on my work, but will be back later tonight for more updates.

Thanks everyone for making this event a success.

jonty_11
09-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks Pappu and IV core for taking such pains to organize a monumental effort like this rally. Hats off to you folks... and to everyone who did their bit for this rally by attending or otherwise.

Do we know the count/attendance for the rally ?

akhilmahajan
09-19-2007, 12:39 PM
The count was between 2000-3000.

anukcs
09-19-2007, 12:39 PM
THANK YOU.

Immigrationvoice would like to thank everyone for coming to this rally and making this a huge success. Thank you to all those who contributed or helped in action items. Every bit of help mattered in this rally.

We have received good feedback from the lawmakers and we want to continue this momentum. We would be soon posting our agenda items. At this time, pls continue to meet your local lawmaker offices. If you were unable to come to the rally, then contact your state chapter leader and seek their guidance. Then go and meet your local lawmakers. The success of this effort depends on the participation from everyone.

We will be posting more updates, action items and information soon. I came back last night overjoyed by the successes and enthusiasm of our members. I need to catch up on my work, but will be back later tonight for more updates.

485Question
09-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Great going IV.

vamsi_poondla
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
The fact that there is nobody other than us to work on this issue itself is a hard fact. Whoever understood that will definitely resonate their thoughts with that of IV.

I had many inhibitions in the beginning. But after meeting around 9 congressmen's offices (including 2 Senators), it is very evident that they are basically unaware of our situation. And almost everyone tried to compare us with undocumented workers. I understood that it is not easy to neutralize these -ve feelings and make them sympathetic to our cause. But many did mention that we are moving in the right direction with lobby firm etc. Patten Boggs has very good reputation on the hill. And they told that is how it works in DC.

Very good job Core Team. We are proud of you. Thanks for all participants. Special thanks for coordinators carrying babies and moving around with schedules.

Definitely we created history walking and announcing on the same venue where many historic events happened.

walking_dude
09-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Pappu (and other Core members),

Great job. I was there with you guys from morning 9:00 am till the end of rally. Even after that I tried to attend Lawmaker meetings, but was told IV had enough members on it already, and doesn't need anymore!

And, yes, I still don't understand the aloofness of TriState and locals. I'm not blaming the chapters here, but the overall immigrant population. That too when FREE bus rides were available. You could've worked over the weekend and/or evenings to catch with your work ( like I'm doing this weekend).

And while I'm at it, will Michiganders who participated, please stand up. I couldn't see anyone else from Michigan. Though two of us wore Detroit caps with Detroit in large font to be visible, so large that Sheela Murthy noticed it and added "Michigan" in her speech while mentioning the states - giving us an undeserved praise - in her sppech. Yet, not a soul approached us and talked to us! I'm not sure if MI state flag was even raised during the march and if so, who did it!

I was told that meetings from 3 MI volunteers had been setup with the lawmakers. What happened? And why was I excluded from the group, despite following all the IV set rules. There were a few others from not-so-heavily-represented states who were also turned back along with us at the last moment. I spent the afternoon loitering around Union station and watching Jackie Chan movie ( Rush Hour 3) instead of discussing IV talking points with a lawmaker. This prompts my question - Is there a 7% state quota in participating in such meetings?! What is the secret criteria/recipe to get involved in these meetings?

There were also a bunch of guys strolling on roads opposite to us - many of them Indians - laughing at us! It appeared that they came there for that very purpose to laugh at us during the lunch break. Add to it the lone anti-immigrant shouting abuses at us - creating a public nuisance - while cops waiting few feet away did nothing at all! Einstein was right when he said - 'There is no limit to Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' .

On the other hand, there's my friend who limped through it all, despite doctors warning not to walk long distances due to his bad ankle. The mothers who pushed strollers throughout the charge. The guys who carried the the - impossibly heavy to carry - placards! Next time please use a lighter material

Got to see it all - Good, bad and the ugly of Immigration. More of the good, I must add.

nandakumar
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Core team,

Thanks for giving us this opportunity and working so hard to achieve this spectacular sucess.

indio0617
09-19-2007, 01:20 PM

YES. A BIG THANK YOU to all who came and made this a GRAND SUCCESS.

Those who could have come but chose not to, please do some introspection and soul searching. YOU missed a chance to be part of history and a truly life changing event.

needhelp!
09-19-2007, 01:23 PM
walking_dude,
I attended one meeting with Renj from Michigan with Michigan congressman staff, but that was on 17th.

Great job. I was there with you guys from morning 9:00 am till the end of rally. Even after that I tried to attend Lawmaker meetings, but was told IV had enough members on it already, and doesn't need anymore!

And, yes, I still don't understand the aloofness of TriState and locals. I'm not blaming the chapters here, but the overall immigrant population. That too when FREE bus rides were available. You could've worked over the weekend and/or evenings to catch with your work ( like I'm doing this weekend).

And while I'm at it, will Michiganders who participated, please stand up. I couldn't see anyone else from Michigan. Though two of us wore Detroit caps with Detroit in large font to be visible, so large that Sheela Murthy noticed it and added "Michigan" in her speech while mentioning the states - giving us an undeserved praise - in her sppech. Yet, not a soul approached us and talked to us! I'm not sure if MI state flag was even raised during the march and if so, who did it!

I was told that meetings from 3 MI volunteers had been setup with the lawmakers. What happened? And why was I excluded from the group, despite following all the IV set rules. There were a few others from not-so-heavily-represented states who were also turned back along with us at the last moment. I spent the afternoon loitering around Union station and watching Jackie Chan movie ( Rush Hour 3) instead of discussing IV talking points with a lawmaker. This prompts my question - Is there a 7% state quota in participating in such meetings?! What is the secret criteria/recipe to get involved in these meetings?

There were also a bunch of guys strolling on roads opposite to us - many of them Indians - laughing at us! It appeared that they came there for that very purpose to laugh at us during the lunch break. Add to it the lone anti-immigrant shouting abuses at us - creating a public nuisance - while cops waiting few feet away did nothing at all! Einstein was right when he said - 'There is no limit to Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' .

On the other hand, there's my friend who limped through it all, despite doctors warning not to walk long distances due to his bad ankle. The mothers who pushed strollers throughout the charge. The guys who carried the the - impossibly heavy to carry - placards! Next time please use a lighter material

Got to see it all - Good, bad and the ugly of Immigration. More of the good, I must add.

pappu
09-20-2007, 02:31 AM
Mighty proud of all members

1) Members who came for the rally.
2) Members who came for the lobby day
3) Members who volunteered on various action items before and during the rally.
4) local DC members who volunteered and opened their homes for members coming from other states.
5) Members who contributed. Without contributions, this rally would have been an unfulfilled dream.
6) Members who not only came themselves but got other people to come with them and tried to spread the word.
7) Members who will now use the positive energy and get more active in this effort

and finally we thank all the naysayers, non-contributers, unconcerned, anonymous anti-IV and anti-immigrants secretly coming to this site. You motivated us and we worked hard to prove you wrong. We are now much stronger because of you and we will be tasting much larger successes very soon.

natrajs
09-20-2007, 06:18 AM

4) local DC members who volunteered and opened their homes for members coming from other states.
5) Members who contributed. Without contributions, this rally would have been an unfulfilled dream.
6) Members who not only came themselves but got other people to come with them and tried to spread the word.
7) Members who will now use the positive energy and get more active in this effort

and finally we thank all the naysayers, non-contributers, unconcerned, anonymous anti-IV and anti-immigrants secretly coming to this site. You motivated us and we worked hard to prove you wrong. We are now much stronger because of you and we will be tasting much larger successes very soon.

Thanks to IV Core and Volunteers

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 07:16 AM

I know so many people who come like that - anonymous, or just create a member ID to know what is going on inside IV but will never do anything and when asked they will give rude responses. Such things actually motivate us more.

mhathi
09-20-2007, 10:37 AM
I know so many people who come like that - anonymous, or just create a member ID to know what is going on inside IV but will never do anything and when asked they will give rude responses. Such things actually motivate us more.

Thank you to IV Core and All Members! I could not attend myself due to a bussiness trip which I scheduled when the rally was to be on sept 13th, but my wife and her cousin and spouse attended and they told me it was a very well organized event. Even before the rally I could see the enthusiasm of all the volunteers at the DC meetings and the willingness of people to contribute in any way we can.

We need to leverage this momentum in going forward! Together, We Will Succeed!

ultimo
09-20-2007, 10:46 AM
the rally was a great success . thnxs for the iv team

Libra
09-20-2007, 10:54 AM
There are 23000 members but not even 3000 are active members that made me feel bad. whenever i think of all those people who bashed me on IV for asking contributions, feel really bad. How shamelessly they talk on IV, like its their own site. we should do something, its just going out of control, they dont care pappu, logiclife, franklin, chandu, i feel more bad when i see somebody saying something to these great people who are actually stood for those selfish people.

Thanks all core members and volunteers and rally attendees for this great event. we should not care what others say, keep doing what you believe in.

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I had great respect for the IV core/super active volunteers just by being around on the forums, but after seeing them at work first hand during the past three days, I don't have any words to describe their selfless contributions to a cause where 90% of the beneficiaries are expecting a free ride.

There are 23000 members but not even 3000 are active members that made me feel bad. whenever i think of all those people who bashed me on IV for asking contributions, feel really bad. How shamelessly they talk on IV, like its their own site. we should do something, its just going out of control, they dont care pappu, logiclife, franklin, chandu, i feel more bad when i see somebody saying something to these great people who are actually stood for those selfish people.

Thanks all core members and volunteers and rally attendees for this great event. we should not care what others say, keep doing what you believe in.

pappu
09-21-2007, 02:53 PM
IV would like to thank another unsung hero for the rally effort.
Thanks a ton to Rupa (Rnarayan) for all the media coordination help. Without her help we could not have got the kind of coverage we are getting for the rally. Her work has been consequential in raising the profile of IV and this effort. Please join IV core team in thanking her for the help.

newuser
09-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks a lot Rupa (Rnarayan)

vikramy
09-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Great Job and Kudos to IV and all those who attended the rally.

needhelp!
09-21-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't remember meeting you in DC??

pappu
09-21-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't remember meeting you in DC??

She was coordinating the media work remotely for us.

natrajs
09-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Thank Q Folks,

uslegals
09-21-2007, 04:57 PM
The rally was truly FANTABULOUS..!!! Thanks IV core & volunteers..! Unforntunately i could not meet any lawmakers.! But got some encouraging news from state chapter friends who met with lawmakers..! Some of the lawmakers they met were very well versed with the whole process and sounded very receptive.!
Looking forward to actively participate/volunteer/contribute to the next one.!

Attended DC Rally:- " Made in the USA - We really want to keep it that way "
Got a friend to the rally who already has GC !
Disheartened that i did not volunteer for IV NOR did could i attend the dinner on 9/17!

mukuraj
09-21-2007, 05:49 PM
It was really a fabulous event. Being a Jersiyan I felt real sorry we didn't turned up in great numbers. Though I am not a NJ chapter member, I talked with atleast 20 co-workers to join the rally (yes, all of them are receipt tracking at work) without any success.

When I reached DC, I didn't expect the rally to be this perfect. Well co-ordinated event with 99.99% accuracy. A big thank you to all the members who made this as a success.

Well, here is the remaining 0.001%:

1. Lawmakers meeting should have been more co-ordinated.
2. May be next time, we can have little lighter placards.

Whoever did the above tasks, they really did a great job. It is not an easy job, a special thanks to the above volunteers.

gbarquero
09-21-2007, 05:59 PM
1. Lawmakers meeting should have been more co-ordinated.
2. May be next time, we can have little lighter placards.

Whoever did the above tasks, they really did a great job. It is not an easy job, a special thanks to the above volunteers.

Agree with the meetings. I didn't attend any because my schedule. When I bought the tickets I had no idea they were planning the meetings, and I don't think the schedules were out yet. So maybe was my fault for not making sure that anything else was planned for the day before.

I agree with the signs, but at the end, I realized they were just right.
My wife took a little sign first, but it was a little harder to see and she wanted to be sure that it was visible, so she went ahead and exchanged it for a big one made of cardboard. It didn't take long before it started twisting from the handle because the wind. Mine was a hard (heavy) one and it lasted the whole rally. So next time I'd take the same type.

But I thank IV for putting this event together for us, it was great to be there.

alterego
09-21-2007, 06:07 PM

I was there from Michigan and managed to get into a long chat with the NYT reporter. My story and many of the points we spoke about made it into the final article.
I did not see you guys either.
The IV core did a herculean job. Everyone of us there tried and participated in our own way. I think it generated a splash and some positive impression in general, especially with the lawmakers. I am sure Compete America etc also saw this and will have this to use as well when they press on with their lobbying.
The next time I think you should take a little more initiative and go to core members and be more proactive. They are human and can't go looking for everyone. It is an unbelievably draining thing, I am not sure where they get that much energy from.

prouddesi
09-21-2007, 06:13 PM
A BIG THANK YOU to the IV core team, the selfless volunteers, the contributors, the torch bearing lobby day meeting attendees and everyone who walked the rally..not to miss the ones who could not make it but are hopefully getting signed petitions for the cause!
I am glad I made it to DC, met the congressional aides and walked the rally. After three years of life out of control thanks to our ridiculous immigration laws, being actively involved made me feel like I am back into controlling my destiny. One of my proud and memorable moments on these shores!

needhelp!
09-21-2007, 06:18 PM
The cardboard ones were for the ladies I am told :)

About meeting scheduling: I received several calls from Kanika and one from Sumita for scheduling meetings and my personal observation is that they were doing a good job.

gbarquero
09-21-2007, 06:28 PM
I know Kanika tried hard to get me into the meeting, I spoke to her and she email me. Also, I spoke to Praveen about it. They did a great job, that's why I kind of feel bad on not making it on time to the meeting, but it was my fault. When I got my tickets I just had the rally on mind.
But I tried to do my best during the rally. We were standing on the walkside the whole time we were there, making sure every car could read our signs. I had a great time doing it, and we were very proud of doing it.

Once again, thank you all guys for the rally.

wolfpok
09-21-2007, 06:47 PM
thanks IV and all. Please also take a moment to recognize 50-odd NC contingent. Most were not even IV members.

thanks to ramus and gc_prasad for their exemplary work in driving attendance from nc and sorrounding areas.

k..enuf thank yous from me for a while...

pok

485_se_dukhi
09-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks IV Core and ALL the IV volunteers!!!

The whole event worked like an extremely well oiled machinery. Every thing had been thought about and worked on.

Water bottles, flowers, amazing messages on the placards, arranging meetings (Thanks Sumita and Kannan!! I bugged you a lot the last day but you were so patient and helpful....:) ), volunteers who managed every little detail....from our stepping out of our cab with our baby (Thanks Parvez (I think that was the name of the volunteer) for pointing us in the right direction and making sure that we were not lost) to the final speeches and wrapping up of the event.

I am unbelievably impressed and amazed by all the work that went in behind the scenes to hold such a big event so successfully!! Hats off to all of you!!:)

I am also happy to know that there are AT LEAST 2000 people on this forum who are committed and can not only talk the talk but walk the walk. :)

Yes, there could have been more and the higher numbers would have helped us...but at this point I do not have much to say to those who COULD have come to the rally but chose NOT to. Let them wrestle with their conscience.

I also hope that the contagious enthu of so many of us overtakes some of them so that they also become one of the committed!:)

Thanks IV for giving us a platform and thanks Aman (and so many others) for taking the initiative and starting this movement. It takes a very worthy man to do this and I am so proud to be a part of this group. *thumbs up and a BIG smile*

Go IV!!

guyfromsg
09-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks IV Core and ALL the IV volunteers!!!

The whole event worked like an extremely well oiled machinery. Every thing had been thought about and worked on.

Water bottles, flowers, amazing messages on the placards, arranging meetings (Thanks Sumita and Kannan!! I bugged you a lot the last day but you were so patient and helpful....:) ), volunteers who managed every little detail....from our stepping out of our cab with our baby (Thanks Parvez (I think that was the name of the volunteer) for pointing us in the right direction and making sure that we were not lost) to the final speeches and wrapping up of the event.

I am unbelievably impressed and amazed by all the work that went in behind the scenes to hold such a big event so successfully!! Hats off to all of you!!:)

I am also happy to know that there are AT LEAST 2000 people on this forum who are committed and can not only talk the talk but walk the walk. :)

Yes, there could have been more and the higher numbers would have helped us...but at this point I do not have much to say to those who COULD have come to the rally but chose NOT to. Let them wrestle with their conscience.

I also hope that the contagious enthu of so many of us overtakes some of them so that they also become one of the committed!:)

Thanks IV for giving us a platform and thanks Aman (and so many others) for taking the initiative and starting this movement. It takes a very worthy man to do this and I am so proud to be a part of this group. *thumbs up and a BIG smile*

Go IV!!

Sorry couldn't meet your family. I had 3 and 4 PM lawmaker appt or otherwise would've joined you. I'm thinking of meeting lawmakers locally in GA in the future and it would be helpful if you can join the GA group, details in my signature.

key_ket
09-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Rally was great. My wife, I and her cousin attended and enjoyed every second of it. Thank you IV.

DallasBlue
09-21-2007, 08:47 PM
I was there from Michigan and managed to get into a long chat with the NYT reporter. My story and many of the points we spoke about made it into the final article.
I did not see you guys either.
The IV core did a herculean job. Everyone of us there tried and participated in our own way. I think it generated a splash and some positive impression in general, especially with the lawmakers. I am sure Compete America etc also saw this and will have this to use as well when they press on with their lobbying.
The next time I think you should take a little more initiative and go to core members and be more proactive. They are human and can't go looking for everyone. It is an unbelievably draining thing, I am not sure where they get that much energy from.

I met Renji Abraham from MI (iv handle:new_horizon) on the lobby day and went with him to a lawmaker office meeting.

DallasBlue
09-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks to each and every one of you for attending the Rally.

I regret that I could not meet all the Texans baring a few at the Rally :-(

Any way all the many more thanks to the 13+ Lone starers who flew 16000 miles to attend the historic rally.

Special Kudos to Niloufer (needhelp) for well representing the Texas and Jaime for rallying people online.

Great Going IV !! and Texas IV

guyfromsg
09-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks to each and every one of you for attending the Rally.

I regret that I could not meet all the Texans baring a few at the Rally :-(

Any way all the many more thanks to the 13+ Lone starers who flew 16000 miles to attend the historic rally.

Special Kudos to Niloufer (needhelp) for well representing the Texas and Jaime for rallying people online.

Great Going IV !! and Texas IV

Pls PM me your name. I met several people from TX and know their names but forgot to ask the handle :(

485_se_dukhi
09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
I've sent the message for joining. :)

Sorry couldn't meet your family. I had 3 and 4 PM lawmaker appt or otherwise would've joined you. I'm thinking of meeting lawmakers locally in GA in the future and it would be helpful if you can join the GA group, details in my signature.