PDA

View Full Version : Rally Memories - part 1 : WHO MET WHO ? HOW DID YOU FEEL

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 02:27 AM
I am starting this thread for people to share some nice sweet memories about the rally.

This Part 1 is basically for "WHO MET WHO"

Most of us in these forums - we talked on phones for a long time and discussed a lot of topics - and we met each other in real at the rally.

I was excited - and I want to share some of my experiences.

Please post some experiences on this thread like mine below

I drove from New York with 5 other dedicated IV members ie tnite, tikka, siraviny, ps57002 and a new member Arun

At the Rally I met Niloufer(needhelp) and Vandana, drona and other volunteers at the registration desk and was nice to meet you all.

Then came paskal and gsc999 who stuck a badge on my shirt "chanduv23" and then I met Shivakanth, Vijay Anand and other folks.

After that I met Macaca - lovable guy, some core members like indio0617, ashish, tamsen.

Then I met pappu. As soon as I greeted him he stood up. I thought he was respecting me. I felt honored. But after a while - he was standing up to anyone who greets him. Then I figured out that was his habit - and no respect or whatever :D:D:D

Then met Abhijeet who was carrying his guiter and then jazzbythebay, janilsal and other folks and Jay and Aman and all core team members

Then I met all the Chinese friends in the NY chapter, Jane, Sophia and it was nice knowing them

I did miss out a few names - but overall I loved this experience of meeting you all the folks

gcsngh
09-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Chanduv,

Did you meet any lawmakers? Please share the insights.

I am starting this thread for people to share some nice sweet memories about the rally.

Most of us in these forums - we talked on phones for a long time and discussed a lot of topics - and we met each other in real at the rally.

I drove from New York with 5 other dedicated IV members ie tnite, tikka, siraviny, ps57002 and a new member Arun

At the Rally I met Niloufer(needhelp) and Vandana, drona and other volunteers at the registration desk and was nice to meet you all.

Then came paskal and gsc999 who stuck a badge on my shirt "chanduv23" and then I met Shivakanth, Vijay Anand and other folks.

After that I met Macaca - lovable guy, some core members like indio0617, ashish, tamsen.

Then I met pappu. As soon as I greeted him he stood up. I thought he was respecting me. I felt honored. But after a while - he was standing up to anyone who greets him. Then I figured out that was his habit - and no respect or whatever :D:D:D

Then met Abhijeet who was carrying his guiter and then jazzbythebay, janilsal and other folks and Jay and Aman and all core team members

Then I met all the Chinese friends in the NY chapter, Jane, Sophia and it was nice knowing them

I did miss out a few names - but overall I loved this experience of meeting you all the folks

Regards

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Chanduv,

Did you meet any lawmakers? Please share the insights.

Regards

I did not meet the lawmakers nor did I attend the congressional reception - situation at home restricted me to just do the rally.

Please use this thread to share some nice funny moments

needhelp!
09-19-2007, 10:13 AM
sw33t, texanmom, thescadman, nagaraj, mundru, macaca, paskal, pdakwala, ashish, pappu, drona, franklin, paskal, janils, ARC
Kanika, Meenal, Sumita, Vandana, Vijay, Akhil, Ashish, Sapna, Preeti, Atmaja, Sonali, Sujata, Dhiren, Sejal, Prasad, Arun, Venky, Gopal, Jane, Kaushal oh my GOD I am surely forgetting a ton of others (and I can't match them with thier IV handles).. California's huge contingent was so great!!
abhijitp, chanduv, Aman and logiclife, well they have already been household figures around my place, and it was great to see them in action.

Please PM me and remind me if I met you, I really really WANT to remember. Overwhelmed by the warmth and cameraderie of the whole group.

Jaime, Libra, 485_se_dukhi, digital2k are there any pictures where I can spot you?

Libra
09-19-2007, 11:32 AM
You took my placard to take a picture with abhijit, remember? I was there right next to you when you were taking pictures.:)

sw33t, texanmom, thescadman, nagaraj, mundru, macaca, paskal, pdakwala, ashish, pappu, drona, franklin, paskal, janils, ARC
Kanika, Meenal, Sumita, Vandana, Vijay, Akhil, Ashish, Sapna, Preeti, Atmaja, Sonali, Sujata, Dhiren, Sejal, Prasad, Arun, Venky, Gopal, Jane, Kaushal oh my GOD I am surely forgetting a ton of others (and I can't match them with thier IV handles).. California's huge contingent was so great!!
abhijitp, chanduv, Aman and logiclife, well they have already been household figures around my place, and it was great to see them in action.

Please PM me and remind me if I met you, I really really WANT to remember. Overwhelmed by the warmth and cameraderie of the whole group.

Jaime, Libra, 485_se_dukhi, digital2k are there any pictures where I can spot you?

indio0617
09-19-2007, 11:38 AM

chanduv23:

Same here. It was great meeting you all, seeing the faces behind the voices and names. It was an emotional high.

Pappu and me stopped at Union Stn for lunch on the way back after the rally. We were both physically drained and famished. Our jaws dropped when we spotted a desi restaurant there. You all should have seen how we attacked the food !

diptam
09-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Its awesome - I dare trying unknown Indian restaurants because either they serve too spicy or too light and the taste is different than Real Indian. But this was authentic taste of Indian Food.

Myself and Dilip ate that Indian food before meeting Senator Kerry's office. Mohit and Kishore had Mexican food but they saw the Indian food all the time.

No wonder the overall meeting with 4 of us was really good :) :)

chanduv23:

Same here. It was great meeting you all, seeing the faces behind the voices and names. It was an emotional high.

Pappu and me stopped at Union Stn for lunch on the way back after the rally. We were both physically drained and famished. Our jaws dropped when we spotted a desi restaurant there. You all should have seen how we attacked the food !

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Please share - incidents like - pulling legs - teasing - little pranks etc...

Libra
09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I heard some one saying 'we waited long enough, now let the traffic wait' when we were crossing the streets :D

needhelp!
09-19-2007, 12:59 PM
We had a long backlog for registration at the congressional reception, which we cleared very efficiently. Gopal was the one using all the GC analogies at the Congressional reception.

I heard some one saying 'we waited long enough, now let the traffic wait' when we were crossing the streets :D

needhelp!
09-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Oh.. Great to meet you Libra! Thanks!

You took my placard to take a picture with abhijit, remember? I was there right next to you when you were taking pictures.:)

indio0617
09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Me and Pappu were walking along checking to see if the march was orderly.
There was this IV member who spotted a desi journalist; he went up to him and asked him if he knew "Who won in the Pak vs Aus match in the ongoing Twenty 20 tournament "

srikondoji
09-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I and manish flew monday morning sept 17th on a short notice to attend 11:30AM appointment and then again at 3:30 PM with nagaraj.
We had 2 more appointments on 18th with NH senators.
All the meetings were great and one them exceeded 30 minute schedule to 50 minutes.

It was great to meet all the members like aman, jay, paskal, kanika, meenal, nagaraj, pappu, gopal etc.

Paskal: Where is my beer?
Gopal: "Don't shoot the messenger" in the situation room.
jay: Speech pointing fingure to capitol hill behind him. "We are here on offence".
Mike: Step1 to step 5 entertainment

These are some, but not all, of the memorable things in DC.

I really had to mention pappu seperately.
He is a dedicated person to this cause and needs special mention. I really enjoyed his company in the bus on our return journey to NH. We shooted all possible questions and got convincing answers.

Thanks again for the wonderful experience.
It was a true vacation.:eek::eek:

nandakumar
09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Being a volunteer, I had a chance to meet most of the members of the core team and other selfless volunteers. I also met the staffs of three congressmen and attended the congressional reception as well. I'll cherish this memory forever, since not many will get this chance in their lifetime.

One of the memorable moment on a personal level is, I met two of my high school juniors after more than 15yrs. It was a great feeling.

Chandu I met you also near the U-Haul truck when returning things after capitol hill meeting......

tnite
09-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Being a volunteer, I had a chance to meet most of the members of the core team and other selfless volunteers. I also met the staffs of three congressmen and attended the congressional reception as well. I'll cherish this memory forever, since not many will get this chance in their lifetime.

One of the memorable moment on a personal level is, I met two of my high school juniors after more than 15yrs. It was a great feeling.

Chandu I met you also near the U-Haul truck when returning things after capitol hill meeting......

And I happened to be one of those juniors Nandha is talking about.It was a wonderful experience .

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 01:32 PM
We had our fun while driving - we had a new IV member, Naveen's friend a doctor who just came from India a month back and trying for residency. His name is Arun.

Now Mr Arun missed Indian food as he does not get it where he lives and was kinda home sick. We stopped over in the Edison area and packed some junk food.

Our friend Arun was delighted by eating Egg Bajji, Samosa, Jilebi - ONE MUST SEE HOW HIS FACE LIT UP - HE BECAME PROUD OF IV JUST AT THAT INSTANCE AND WAS ONE OF THE MOST ENERGETIC RALLIER

Green06
09-19-2007, 01:35 PM
I am part of MN Chapter and attended the rally. It was a wonderful experience. I am proud to part of IV family and I am sure that lawmakers will listen to our voice. It was also exciting to see faces behind the IV names.

Keep up the good work IV

Meenal
09-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Can you PM me your real name. I have a feeling, I know you by your real name.
:)
Meenal (ivhandle : beenwaiting)

I and manish flew monday morning sept 17th on a short notice to attend 11:30AM appointment and then again at 3:30 PM with nagaraj.
All the meetings were great and one them exceeded 30 minute schedule to 50 minutes.

It was great to meet all the members like aman, jay, paskal, kanika, meenal, nagaraj, pappu, gopal etc.

jay: Speech pointing fingure to capitol hill behind him. "We are here on offence".

He is a dedicated person to this cause and needs special mention. I really enjoyed his company in the bus on our return journey to NH. We shooted all possible questions and got convincing answers.

checklaw
09-19-2007, 02:37 PM
The IV bus journey from NJ was very well planned and executed. All I had to do as a "participant" was indeed to just hop on....no fine print! On the bus and at the rally made some wonderful friends.

singhsa3, mpada and everyone who may have worked on the NJ/NY bus logistics, you have been excellent! Thank you IV core for providing this convenience.

IV handle "laborchic" who was on our NJ bus co-coordinating the minute details of to and fro journey with help from another selfless soul "amit_sp”, superbly handled stopovers, timings, ensuring that we reached rally on time and also more importantly that 'No child (read registered bus member) was left behind' and keeping driver happy etc....

Special thoughts also go to whoever came up and arranged the idea of the Gurudwara stopover during the forward journey. It was simply superb! We were able to catch up some sleep there and were fresh for the rally. The host at the the Gurudwara was most gracious. The facilities were good. We were grateful for the lovely breakfast and tea that was served.

The rally was very well organized, right to the minutest details. It was a wonderful effort from some really tired but focused and determined looking volunteer folks whom I saw scrambling around while we participants had it easy. During the rally got a good view of the Capitol Hill and other spots. The cops on motorbikes, cars and bicycles monitoring our procession looked an awesome sight. But that paled compared to the feeling of camaraderie and friendship that was overwhelming all of us folks in white IV T shirts.

Also saw faces behind IV handles, the core and other ever active ones, and found out that they were just like me, two hands two legs.... no horns or feathers. Realization then struck that what probably differentiated them from a lot of us was simply that they have reacted to the same problems you and I have in a smart, constructive and selfless manner.

This is what I could remember and share with few of you who unfortunately could not make it and a whole lot of you who did not make it. To the latter, the feeling of high I have now from having acted upon my normal demons is something I am not able to describe. I just feel it......

srikondoji
09-19-2007, 02:54 PM
sent you a PM.

Can you PM me your real name. I have a feeling, I know you by your real name.
:)
Meenal (ivhandle : beenwaiting)

sbindval
09-19-2007, 03:21 PM
My wife attended the rally yesterday and this is what she wrote her friends who didn't come to the rally!

Yesterday, Shyam, Isha and I spent all day in DC as part of immigrationvoice, a grassroots non-profit organization that acts as an interface between highly skilled immigrants and the legislative and executive branches of the government. It was a wonderful experience. Over thousand people met at the foot of the Washington monument, and walked all the way to the US capitol. The organization had made good arrangements. Its amazing how people from all over the country were there and very few local people. One South African couple had driven on Monday from Indiana and came to the rally to celebrate the husband's birthday!! He wanted to be a part of this rally as a present for his birthday. We had 2 people - Manish and Sri, from New Hampshire staying with us on Monday who came just for the rally. There were some british, some chinese along with we Desis.

The need for the rally brought to light the real issues -

Most of us may have applied for our I-485 Step 3 in the greencard process, in July 2007, but that doesn't mean we will get our green cards soon. The govt accepts only 140000 applications a year and only 9000 are allocated to Indians in all categories.

Lawmakers and congress are confused when they think of immigrants - they club legal and illegal together. Even the Seattle senator who addressed the gathering yesterday made the same mistake. He said its good that you guys are out here so the congress can see its not only the janitors and others who have immigration issues but also highly skilled immigrants! No mention of legal. He used his time to promote the democratic party and we tried to remind him we don't have voting rights even though we pay the same taxes and work like everyone else!

We have to do something to be heard and heard right!

Thats the beauty of this country you can reach out to people in the highest positions and get heard. When the voice is collective its even more powerful. Shyam along with many others met with many congressmen and senators over the span on 2 days to explain our plight to them. One congresswoman mentioned that when a bill comes to vote in congress she polls the number of phone calls and emails she gets from her constituency and submits her votes accordingly. I was surprised to see how much actually our voice means.

We don't realize the power we possess since we are sitting in our own life bubbles of work, home, stress, kids and everything that most often swallows our individuality and ability to think. We need to step up think for ourselves and and help ourselves and everyone else in the process.

Like Sheela murthy, one of the leading immigration lawyers, said that yesterday's rally and the forum immigrationvoice.org (https://mail.medimmune.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://immigrationvoice.org/) may not make an immediate impact. But we are truly paving the way for the future of legal immigrants to the US.

The forum is the only organized and collective way to get out our frustration against the system! So many people don't understand the hardships and seriousness of the greencard issues. Especially the people who got their greencards pre 2001 era! If you are interested in finding out more about the forum and the need for high level lobbying please visit immigrationvoice.org (https://mail.medimmune.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://immigrationvoice.org/). If you were ever stuck in the green card rut or you or you have family who are applying, please spread the word and join the fight!

paskal
09-19-2007, 08:03 PM
and still too weary, esp after dragging through a full work day...
watch this space...it will come eventually...
meanwhile suffice to say that it was simply awesome to meet the personas behind the handles...sure made everything worthwhile :D

abhijitp
09-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Oh.. Great to meet you Libra! Thanks!

I am not sure I met you Libra... please PM me a link to your picture from the rally:)

gsc999
09-19-2007, 08:06 PM
A note of caution, please just share personal anecdotes. All formal lawmaker meeting minutes need to be forwarded directly to the IV lobby day event coordinators and IV core members only.

Let the people who missed the rally also miss the excellent chance of sharing our strategy and law maker information.

Also be mindful of addressing people by their real names. It is good that you can put names to IV handles but please protect their privacy, unless they themselves are ok sharing their names publically. You can always use PMs.

I hope you all understand.

paskal
09-19-2007, 08:10 PM
this is not just a question of depriving those who did not come.
let's please recognise that many people did have genuine compulsions as well.
the more important issue at hand is that sensitive information should not be released on an open forum. state chapters are free to organize live meetings and brief their members on lawmaker meeting experiences. those who attend chapter sessions are welcome to participate and learn- and join in for future meetings which should continue at the district/state level.

gsc999
09-19-2007, 08:18 PM
There are thousands of anecdotes that I could share. My best is the look of shock on one of the IV member's face when I asked him to escort one of the lawmakers who attended the Monday evening reception dinner. We couldn't believe that we see him on C-Span and he is standing next to us and supporting our cause.
- Can you imagine the feeling when a lawmakers says I know about you guys. You are doing a good job. This shows we are visible in the Hill.
- I felt great when I saw the confidence on the smiling faces of IV members when they came out of lawmakers meetings. For those who missed this historic opportunity, I can't even begin to explain the change in mindset from the initial apprehension about visiting a lawmaker's office to, "Why do I only have three meetings set up, I want to fill in for others IV members who might not have shown up due to various reasons"

For those demanding immediate results when they themselves might not have showed up at the rally the answer is, we will get our green cards eventually. There is absolutely no doubt about that in my mind but these experiences and memories will be cherished for a long time. This is also important to me. This new "experience capital" which was initially present among just the core members has trickled down to other members, we are growing in strength and reach our goal soon.

I am glad I went for three days. I wish I could stay longer.

guyfromsg
09-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I arrived on Monday morning and met Paskal as he was going for meeting. Went to situation room and first met ever energetic gcs999. We went out for lunch with logiclife. And then start meeting people and I'll list them separately. Two of the most memorable days in my life. Thank you guys and gals.

Please PM me if you want any specific photos from dinner meet and rally. I took several photos and already shared in one of the threads here.

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Please do look at guidelines from gsc999 and paskal for posting on this thread. This thread is supposed to be a fun thread - where you share jokes and u share things that made u laugh.

Don't post any sensitive information here - this is a public forum. Do not post any lawmaker meeting information here.

authrd
09-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I am a new member on IV. Haven't contributed, haven't send flowers or thank you cards, haven't volunteered for anything. In fact, I had not even heard of IV up until a month or so back.

However, as I read about the IV efforts in response to the July fiasco, I realised there are a lot of people out here on IV who are doing a tremendous amount of work, work that affects me as an individual positively.

At the last minute, I decided to drive down from NJ. My wife has never ever been on any immigration forum. But she was all for it. We thought it would be too late to get on the NJ bus and drove down.

ME AND MY WIFE ARE VERY PROUD OF IV AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT MADE IT TO DC. IT WAS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!

For the first time in my life, I have stood up for anything. I am from India and I hate to say it but for far too long, most Indians I know have been shy/meek/lazy about standing up for what we believe in.

Hats off to all the IV volunteers, people who came in and worked over the weekend, people especially who flew into DC, people who came with their kids!!!

PS: Disappointed in my fellow East Coast ppl for no turning up in more numbers

gcsngh
09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Wish we could have been part of the Team, we were away to Canada to get our visas renewed, can any one share the kind of impact we made in DC in terms of awareness and any positive reponse from the lawmakers.

Regards:)

gsc999
09-19-2007, 09:40 PM
I am a new member on IV. Haven't contributed, haven't send flowers or thank you cards, haven't volunteered for anything. In fact, I had not even heard of IV up until a month or so back.

However, as I read about the IV efforts in response to the July fiasco, I realised there are a lot of people out here on IV who are doing a tremendous amount of work, work that affects me as an individual positively.

At the last minute, I decided to drive down from NJ. My wife has never ever been on any immigration forum. But she was all for it. We thought it would be too late to get on the NJ bus and drove down.

ME AND MY WIFE ARE VERY PROUD OF IV AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT MADE IT TO DC. IT WAS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!

For the first time in my life, I have stood up for anything. I am from India and I hate to say it but for far too long, most Indians I know have been shy/meek/lazy about standing up for what we believe in.

Hats off to all the IV volunteers, people who came in and worked over the weekend, people especially who flew into DC, people who came with their kids!!!

PS: Disappointed in my fellow East Coast ppl for no turning up in more numbers
----
Thanks for making my day. Post like this is what makes our volunteer work so satisfying.

vandanaverdia
09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Coming to DC will be a memory most of us will cherish... and for a really long time...

Whether it was working late or eating dinner at 3 am or running to meetings, it was an enriching experience for all IV members. And it makes us proud that we stood up & made our presence felt & voices heard...

We all knew each other by IV handles... but meeting in DC put names & faces to those handles...
Meeting each & everyone was amazing and even more satisfying was that people came from different states & with families & kids...

A li'l disappointed with the locals who didn't turn up though.... and more so with those who walked on the other side of the road from all of us....

thescadaman
09-19-2007, 11:20 PM
It was a memorable trip indeed! 3 weeks before, I thought Houston to DC was a long shot. I kept reading the IV forums and saw the energy built up. Then I decided, I should definitely do something from my part even if I don’t attend the Rally. I said to myself, enough, I am going to announce in the Texas thread that I am willing to volunteer for the publicity work in Houston during the long weekend. That’s when I got a chance to talk to Texanmom. We had a conversation for about 40 minutes and once I finishing talking to her over the phone my position changed from “‘No way” to let me try to convince my friends and if I have company, I will go. I can always talk to my Boss later about taking a day off. Once I decided that, I kept calling all my friends in Houston. Sadly, I could not motivate people to buy tickets and fly with me to DC. My wife, then told me, if you want to go, you should go, don’t wait for your friends.

I am glad, I took that decision. The whole trip to DC was very memorable indeed. There were 3 of us in the same flight jayram123, Texanmom and myself. We had a volunteer (IV handle ?? – if you are reading this please tell me your IV Handle!), who picked us up and we all stayed in a hotel. Thanks for all your hospitality! We left very early and reached the location by 7:15 in the morning. It felt good to work with everyone and make the necessary preparation before the crowd started pouring in.

Early in the morning, GSC999 gave us a quick announcement session telling us what we need to do as volunteers and what was the plan. GSC999 - you energy was contagious. I was all ready and excited once I heard you talking about our plan for the day.

On of my best moment of the trip was handing out water bottles to all the participants who were standing besides the road showing their banners. This happened just before the actual Rally began. It was a nice feeling making all the folks comfortable and giving them water while they were all standing there for more than an hour flaunting their signs to the cars on the road. I was helping another volunteer in this effort and later found that he is from Houston too and is part of IV Core (please PM me your id if you are reading this). It felt so good that all of us were helping each other for our common cause.

I had one person ask me where can we find the nametag stickers which we give to the volunteers. I searched for a long time and then told that person that I will find it for him. Then I got busy with some other work. Only later I realized that it was not some other volunteer who had requested the nametags from me but it was Mr. Pappu himself! Pappu you are a very humble man!

A special thanks to the person who was pulling the cart with 2 packs of water bottles all along the Rally and distributing water to all the people who were walking in the Rallly. I tried moving that cart and found that it was TOO Heavy and decided to work on some other volunteering effort. But you did it. Thanks!

Also, the person who sang the National Anthem did a wonderful job! All the speeches were very nice too! The sound system arrangement was very professional. The Rally Marshals did a fabulous job and everything went exactly as planned. The arrangements made by the Cops with their cars motorbikes and bicycles was very impressive.

In all, it was great trip from Houston to DC. Thanks to jayram123 too who took care of all the travel logistics. I did not have a clue about the routes or the trains etc and was completely relying on him. Hoping to keep in touch with the Houston IV team and help with more efforts till all our goals are achieved.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered and participated in the Rally. I wanted to write a lot more and mention a lot of names, only if I had noted down their IV handles! Moreover I have to catch some sleep now. Its been a very looong day yesterday.

dante1271
09-19-2007, 11:28 PM
I went to the DC rally anyway...
I meet new friends but cant remember all their unusual names (FBI name check problem :D, just kidding) ...
pose for a picture in front of the US Capitol...
see the White House live!!!...
got inside the US congress buildings (was little embarassed, wearing jeans during lobbying :cool:)...

see old-time friends in DC and have lunch at Chipotle near Tysons Corner mall...
watch some drivers get angry due to the traffic caused by the parade (huh!)...
lost some carbs due to walking, ...
saw nice gals jogging on the streets of DC at the parade route...
5 hours sitting down in the airplane from CA to DC, 5 hours again from DC to CA...
LASTLY, HAPPY JUST BEING THERE FOR THE IV Cause...

P.S. they have good food inside the US congress cafeteria...

Thanks to Drona and Ramesh for making my trip happend.

gsc999
09-19-2007, 11:35 PM
It was a memorable trip indeed! 3 weeks before, I thought Houston to DC was a long shot. I kept reading the IV forums and saw the energy built up. Then I decided, I should definitely do something from my part even if I don’t attend the Rally. I said to myself, enough, I am going to announce in the Texas thread that I am willing to volunteer for the publicity work in Houston during the long weekend. That’s when I got a chance to talk to Texanmom. We had a conversation for about 40 minutes and once I finishing talking to her over the phone my position changed from “‘No way” to let me try to convince my friends and if I have company, I will go. I can always talk to my Boss later about taking a day off. Once I decided that, I kept calling all my friends in Houston. Sadly, I could not motivate people to buy tickets and fly with me to DC. My wife, then told me, if you want to go, you should go, don’t wait for your friends.

I am glad, I took that decision. The whole trip to DC was very memorable indeed. There were 3 of us in the same flight jayram123, Texanmom and myself. We had a volunteer (IV handle ?? – if you are reading this please tell me your IV Handle!), who picked us up and we all stayed in a hotel. Thanks for all your hospitality! We left very early and reached the location by 7:15 in the morning. It felt good to work with everyone and make the necessary preparation before the crowd started pouring in.

Early in the morning, GSC999 gave us a quick announcement session telling us what we need to do as volunteers and what was the plan. GSC999 - you energy was contagious. I was all ready and excited once I heard you talking about our plan for the day.

On of my best moment of the trip was handing out water bottles to all the participants who were standing besides the road showing their banners. This happened just before the actual Rally began. It was a nice feeling making all the folks comfortable and giving them water while they were all standing there for more than an hour flaunting their signs to the cars on the road. I was helping another volunteer in this effort and later found that he is from Houston too and is part of IV Core (please PM me your id if you are reading this). It felt so good that all of us were helping each other for our common cause.

---
You did a fabulous job. The registration process was so smooth that people didn't even notice it. It is always a pleasure to work with motivated people, in your words, who support the common cause.

franklin
09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
Hmmm... humorous stories...

Well there was gsc999 and jazz trying to pull a "room service" gag on Drona and myself, but they went to the wrong room...

... I've heard some pretty hilarious tales about a comedic cab journey with a driver that wouldn't obey, and got some impromptu driving instruction by Logiclife...

... but a lot of the others must stay in DC :)

485_se_dukhi
09-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Hi Niloufer,

Both my husband and I wore bright green T-shirts and were pushing a pink stroller...:D

Somebody in the rally in fact remarked that our green T-shirts matched the idea of getting green cards...;)

Here's the link to some of our pix at the rally...:)

http://picasaweb.google.com/preetisingh5/LegalImmigrantsRallyAtWashingtonDCSeptember18th200 7

I was hoping to meet you but in all the rush and excitement, missed you...but I'm glad to see you in the other pix...your daughter is just too cute!!:)

take care,
Preeti

abhijitp
09-20-2007, 01:02 AM
There are just too many fond memories to share in one post... but I do want to specially thank leo2606 who drove 70 miles to pick up myself, venkygct, vsraja and punjabi at the Dulles airport and then took us out for breakfast, then to the rally venue, then for lunch, finally to a hotel room we had booked for a quick shower, basically... like a shadow he was with us wherever we wanted to go! And... whenever we thanked him (and gdhiren who co-ordinated pickups/dropoffs for many others like the 4 of us) these guys, instead of saying something like "You are welcome", would profusely thank us for flying in!

Its people... like leo2606 and gdhiren.. and many others are the true strength of IV!

anilsal
09-20-2007, 01:21 AM
waldenpond,gsc999, needhelp, chandu123, nixstor, paskal, *************MACACA**********, drona, eager2immi,logiclife,pappu, Mr.Postman(PDakwala/CA), texanmom.

Missed: tikka, libra, english_august(not present at the rally)

singam
09-20-2007, 01:32 AM
A special thanks to the person who was pulling the cart with 2 packs of water bottles all along the Rally and distributing water to all the people who were walking in the Rallly. I tried moving that cart and found that it was TOO Heavy and decided to work on some other volunteering effort. But you did it. Thanks!

I was that guy; yes it was heavy :o

wolfpok
09-20-2007, 01:34 AM
I rode the nc bus to dc (ok raised funds, booked the bus, cajoled/threatened people/got permissions/negotiated deals blah blah...in partnership with ramus and gc_prasad). We started at 2 am from RTP and were in fairfax by 7:00. there were 38 people on the bus including a 2 year old. :) IV had arranged for a halt at a gurudwara in fairfax - we spent about 45 minutes there cleaning up and drinking tea. The bus dropped us off at Franconia/Springfield metro at 8:15...we took a while figuring out those metro farecard vending machines. Some of them wouldn't give us change...some others wouldn't take credit cards. But we survived. In 10 minutes, 38 people had farecards and were raring to go. We got to the monument at half past 9...and folks were already lining up, holding placards. I only had time time to meet my company brethren from Cal and then paskal. I dropped off a stack of petitions with ashish (hopefully they made it to IVs pile). The nc contingent walked together most of the way to the capitol...it was a truly great feeling, having people honk, wave and generally be nice. I could never have imagined myself out on the street, fighting against broken systems...in front of the US Capitol. But yah, it happened. During the speeches, i walked around the audience, asking folks to turn their placards to face their cameras...(something to learn for next time - thats why political events have twin sided placards - so that cameras facing the speaker get the message). After the rally, i got to one lawmaker meeting with????'s staff. They were pretty cool to talk to...while they may be aware of some broad issue with legal immigration, they seemed to fall into the "oh you are talking about h1b quota" trap. We set the framework for discussion early on and clarified the "we are talking about gcs here" point.

Some of my nc colleagues went on to meet ???? - they had a productive meeting there too...perhaps Rahul will write about it. After the meetings we made our way back to the franconia metro, had dinner at the springfield mall food court and left there by 8 pm. We were back in RTP by midnight. In all 22 hours...well spent!

pictures! ->
http://picasaweb.google.com/wolfpok/SkilledImmigrantRallyInWashingtonDCSeptember18th

one of the things I did today was send out a note to all my friends groups...while most people seemed to ignore all pleas to join the rally or contribute $, they all seemed to be watching curiously. A lot of them feared going to the rally...some others didnt care. Some others even promised to show up and didn't. But i believe we need the support of these very people, if IV has to grow and become an even stronger force in the future...I shall copy paste wot i wrote, and i encourage all to write to their skeptic friends...only to point to a positive experience and ask for their future participation. So i quote...

"Some might wonder why we participated? Well, how could we give up on a chance to make history and truly understand what it means to live in a democracy. Its not about desperation for a green card, its about fairness and dignity. We believe that we have the right to a fair, open and predictable process and anything else is an affront to our dignity. We believe that the system is broken and can be changed. But change to the system will not come overnight and it will definitely not come with us keeping quiet. So we got out and did what we knew was possible - get the message out, propose solutions, meet congressmen and appeal to people's conscience.

In participating in this movement for change, we realized something else that we would like to share. We realize that the struggle for a fair immigration process is but a process of change just like struggles against oppresion and prejudice of different severities. The only difference is that its a question of dignity and fair process versus segregated facilities and disenfranchisement. Accept one and you accept the other. So if we wonder how the world could have every been a certain way in the past, we don't have to look beyond ourselves. Honest and well intentioned as we might be, if we cannot stand up and say something about something that affects our rights and freedoms as individuals, we are saying that we are OK with all that is around us.

thanks to all who offered support! if you are still on the sidelines, do get involved! Our success depends on all of us making a contribution!"

enuf said...

thanks IV volunteers/Coords. a million kudos!

pok from nc.

seahawks
09-20-2007, 01:39 AM
I met lots of people, I remember a lot of names, but how can I write down all the names, it will be a long list. Oh forgot, I met my wife too there:)

It was fun to meet so many people, its amazing, you read threads, you see IV handles and you try to be imaginative on who that person would be, but you just can't put a face behind the IV handle. Then you get to meet them in person and you say my name is this and my name is that and then we look surprised, who.. and then the question comes, whats your IV handle. Then we talk as we have known each other for years. We all fight for the same cause, we all have compelling stories very personal, very painful, the never ending wait for getting a green card. Some of them are in with us even though they have crossed the hurdle of getting a green card, because they believe in our cause, they don't want anyone to go through the pain all of us are going through. Hats off to all.. the train has left the station now, we have one voice, IMMIGRATION VOICE!!!!

jaocanada
09-20-2007, 01:49 AM
I arrived at the Situation Room at about 1 pm on Monday.. didn't know anybody and nobody knew me so I was searching for a Core IV type look on anybody's face... Poor 'beenwaiting' was eating her late lunch at what seemed like a registration table and she noticed my dillema.. she promptly put her lunch aside and briefed me on the agenda and my meetings.. Thanks 'beenwainting'...

Next I remember was helping Sanjeev (can u PM me your handle?) with his tie and hurrying with Shivkanth and Sumita (can you PM me your handle too?) to a Senator's meeting. That Senator's staff knew the issues pretty well and it was fun to watch Shivkanth debate with her.

SriKondoji - it was nice meeting you. The reception and the rally next day were a great experiences. Finally I had some great Indian food at the Union Station with Indio0617, Pappu and Dr. Gupta (can u PM me your handle?)

All PA (Philly) members - let's plan on meeting over coffee sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Here are the photos that I tool to 'live blog' the rally:
http://picasaweb.google.com/getrajesh/DCRallyImmigrationVoice

The experience of attending the rally was therapeutic in a way... Day in and day out one is sucked in to the bubble of daily life, work, kids, family..... and on top of it, the thought of interminable wait for GC really burns you from inside. You know you have to go through it and you know there are thousands like you who are stuck too. And then one fine day, these thousand faceless online handles come to life together and in the nation's capital and actually march and meet the lawmakers. This has truly been a great experience.

gsc999
09-20-2007, 02:55 AM
There are just too many fond memories to share in one post... but I do want to specially thank leo2606 who drove 70 miles to pick up myself, venkygct, vsraja and punjabi at the Dulles airport and then took us out for breakfast, then to the rally venue, then for lunch, finally to a hotel room we had booked for a quick shower, basically... like a shadow he was with us wherever we wanted to go! And... whenever we thanked him (and gdhiren who co-ordinated pickups/dropoffs for many others like the 4 of us) these guys, instead of saying something like "You are welcome", would profusely thank us for flying in!

Its people... like leo2606 and gdhiren.. and many others are the true strength of IV!
---
Abhijit, great idea you brought your guitar along. It was good to hear some nice music at the rally. Thanks to you and Arun for driving & coordinating the sponsorships. Some good volunteers came out of that effort.

gsc999
09-20-2007, 02:58 AM
waldenpond,gsc999, needhelp, chandu123, nixstor, paskal, *************MACACA**********, drona, eager2immi,logiclife,pappu, Mr.Postman(PDakwala/CA), texanmom.

Missed: tikka, libra, english_august(not present at the rally)
---
I liked your short speech when you introduced our fearless leader Aman at the Monday night reception dinner. Good to put faces to IV handles, I was always curious about this one.

gsc999
09-20-2007, 03:03 AM
I went to the DC rally anyway...
I meet new friends but cant remember all their unusual names (FBI name check problem :D, just kidding) ...
pose for a picture in front of the US Capitol...
see the White House live!!!...
got inside the US congress buildings (was little embarassed, wearing jeans during lobbying :cool:)...

see old-time friends in DC and have lunch at Chipotle near Tysons Corner mall...
watch some drivers get angry due to the traffic caused by the parade (huh!)...
lost some carbs due to walking, ...
saw nice gals jogging on the streets of DC at the parade route...
5 hours sitting down in the airplane from CA to DC, 5 hours again from DC to CA...
LASTLY, HAPPY JUST BEING THERE FOR THE IV Cause...

P.S. they have good food inside the US congress cafeteria...

Thanks to Drona and Ramesh for making my trip happend.
---
Dante: Thanks for coming.

I wanted to take your advise and explore how to get Philipino community involved with IV. Please send me or Drona a PM

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Please keep writing your amusing experiences - this thread is an inspiration to everyone.

For those who did not attend - this thread is to just make you feel nice and comfortable about IV folks - we are all sweet fun loving people who are standing up for ourselves.

IV members were all extremely delighted when they saw real people behind handles.

vasa
09-20-2007, 08:24 AM
you guys must have seen me with my 3 kids in a stroller and my wife handing out flowers and holding a placard...
it was an experience in itself, a good one
with lasting memories

cheers
vasa

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 08:27 AM
you guys must have seen me with my 3 kids in a stroller and my wife handing out flowers and holding a placard...
with lasting memories

cheers
vasa

Actually - missed you. Please share a pic - I did think I saw u but unable to recollect

another one
09-20-2007, 09:02 AM
It was a wonderful experience for me and my wife to meet with the congressmen. Most of them were straightforward and would say whether they agree or disagree with you. The need to differentiate our cause and clearly communicate our agenda became very obvious in the meetings. We need to continuously reinforce the points.

IV did an excellent job organizing the meetings and made it so easy for people like us to participate and contribute to the cause.

From my own experience i can say that taking concrete steps reduces the anxiety of uncertainty, whatever maybe the eventual outcome. That in itself is a reason enough to act.

As i said earlier we need to continuously reinforce our points to the congressmen. Those who missed this opportunity to reduce their anxiety would definitely have more opportunities coming their way in the future.

paskal
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
i guess there may never be time to write the multitude of stories so here's a little one...

i arrived saturday morning and went through a comedy of errors before reaching the comfort inn that many of us were to stay...was hungry and tired and wondering where everyone was...and then nixstor turns up with the very best home cooked food possible....aman arrived too and after a mad scramble to arrange plates we all consumed it like we had never eaten before...memories of that meal are making me hungry again...:D

hey nixstor...thanks (for that and a lot more)...convey that to your wife please...since she did the hard work!

vasa
09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
i was with my wife Kanika, who handled lobby day meetings. i did post some picture links in other thread..

Cheers
vasa

paskal
09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
i was with my wife Kanika, who handled lobby day meetings. i did post some picture links in other thread..

Cheers
vasa

thanks for the effort!
it was great to see all the A's (and the one non A) in person :D

Meenal
09-20-2007, 11:37 AM
The three days were packed with drama - Like any good drama, this too had it's moments of tension, action, and humor....the funniest one was:

Right before the rally when Aman was EXTREMELY busy, he actually had 30 seconds for each reporter. Our sweet little Jane walks up to him and asks "Aman where are my clothes?"
Aman had the funniest expression on his face :confused:

Here is the background : All of us had stayed in the same hotel and at the check out time we had kept out luggage in the baggage room. Aman had the tags of Jane's bags and Jane thought that Aman would get her luggage @ the rally!

Guys u had to be there - It was hilarious:D:D:D:D

Meenal

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Great, I did see you. Lets catch up at the next rally ;)

Hi Niloufer,

Both my husband and I wore bright green T-shirts and were pushing a pink stroller...:D

Somebody in the rally in fact remarked that our green T-shirts matched the idea of getting green cards...;)

Here's the link to some of our pix at the rally...:)

http://picasaweb.google.com/preetisingh5/LegalImmigrantsRallyAtWashingtonDCSeptember18th200 7

I was hoping to meet you but in all the rush and excitement, missed you...but I'm glad to see you in the other pix...your daughter is just too cute!!:)

take care,
Preeti

Meenal
09-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Keep the Aroras seperate , that is, Puneet Arora and Sumita Arora....these guys would not miss a single chance to beat each other up. (not related-clarification!)

Here is a scene I was in:

Paskal(Puneet) is driving - Sumita is sitting on the passenger seat - we have no idea where we are going. It is 2:00a.m and we are REALLY hungry and tired...

Sumita "I will give you directions from my Tom - Tom " I think she meant GPS.

Puneet (after taking several wrong turns) "It is not a Tom - Tom"?

Sumita- " whateverer it is , it gives me directions and I talk to it" (She was spending 4 hrs. driving each day with this TomTom ).

Puneet - "ok, let's follow our friends".

Sumita dials.

Vandana(in the other car) - "Yeah you can follow us".

Puneet - "well where are you guys"

Vandana - "We are trying to figure out, I don't know how we got here - Let me consult my GPS"

This is what happens when you are sleep deprived, food deprived - all the gadgets in the world cannot help you.

Jane( a chinese) - "why do you guys have to eat anyway, it is time to sleep???"

indio0617
09-20-2007, 12:02 PM
with lasting memories

cheers
vasa

Vasa.

It was a great selfless gesture from you and your wife driving all the way to DC with 3 kids to manage as well.

Thank you.

indio0617
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
The three days were packed with drama - Like any good drama, this too had it's moments of tension, action, and humor....the funniest one was:

Right before the rally when Aman was EXTREMELY busy, he actually had 30 seconds for each reporter. Our sweet little Jane walks up to him and asks "Aman where are my clothes?"

Here is the background : All of us had stayed in the same hotel and at the check out time we had kept out luggage in the baggage room. Aman had the tags of Jane's bags and Jane thought that Aman would get her luggage @ the rally!

Meenal

Ha Ha Ha . This was hilarious. Could not stop laughing....

gdhiren
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I was that guy; yes it was heavy :o

Still you asked me to put that box on it which I was carrying!! Bravo. Thanks, Man. It was that water, which kept us going.

vasa
09-20-2007, 12:10 PM
i owe that to kanika... she is the one who was commited and i was doing my part watching kids and making sure that they do have some fun...
this is what they have learnt:

Washin-ton
monu-ment
white house
smith-sonan..

and some more funny names.

and when we went to Hyatt the third time on monday, my daughters says... i dont want to go to mommy's office. :)
cheers vasa

yabadaba
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
man after reading all these stories I am completely bummed out that I couldn't make it. Kudos to all of you who were there and thanks.

gdhiren
09-20-2007, 12:19 PM

Meenal

hahaha, I remmeber on Monday night while getting out of Situation room, Aman figured that two of his bags were missing and he was trying to figure out where they are. He only had his laptop bag with him. When I drove in to pick up 3 guys at the hotel, the guy who was with Aman (I forgot his name) thought I am picking up Aman and started putting Aman's laptop bag in trunk of my car. Aman saw it at the right moment and took that bag out of trunk and probably thought no wonder why his two other bags were missing.

I think he eventually found those bags, people taking care of thos ebags took them for ride and dinner.

beenwaiting, by the way they had to cut your (and mine too) interview on AajTak. They had to choose between our interview and LogicLife's speech, it was an easy choice for me as logiclife's speech was more important. I'll post the clip as soon as I have it. You should be on one of the other channel interviews, thanks a lot for being available for that.

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 12:27 PM
man after reading all these stories I am completely bummed out that I couldn't make it. Kudos to all of you who were there and thanks.

I thought u were coming to the rally :)

KanME
09-20-2007, 12:32 PM
It was a pleasure meeting and talking to you NeedHelp (dont want to use your real name here)..you are the sweetest ,warm kind hearted soul..The highlight for me was putting a face to all the names I had been in touch with on a daily basis..and ofcourse meeting my hero ..Aman ..

I missed all the fun , I was running between work and kids..but still will cherish the memories from this grand event..

Thanks to dh who let me do this and took care of the kids so well...they enjoyed the experience.

If I have to think of a funny experience , well not so funny I had my first red bull on the rally day thinking it will give me wings ...:D not fun..
After my meeting with the Representative's aide I asked him the directions to exit the building ,he asked me where do you want t go , I said I just want to get out and he and the staff laughed said thats what we feel on most days too..:)

Keep the Aroras seperate , that is, Puneet Arora and Sumita Arora....these guys would not miss a single chance to beat each other up.

Paskal(Puneet) is driving - Sumita is sitting on the passenger seat - we have no idea where we are going. It is 2:00a.m and we are REALLY hungry and tired...

Sumita- " whateverer it is , it gives me directions and I talk to it" (She was spending 4 hrs. driving each day with this TomTom ).

Sumita dials.

Vandana - "We are trying to figure out, I don't know how we got here - Let me consult my GPS"

This is what happens when you are sleep deprived, food deprived - all the gadgets in the world cannot help you.

gdhiren
09-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks needhelp!. it was nice meeting you too. After walking 2 miles on her 22nd week of pregnancy my wife was still fresh after seeing all the enrgetic people around (especially you and your daughter).

Here is one incident, your daughter (obviously her IV handle has to be neednohelp! or IGotIt) was carrying one big placard, heavy for her and bigger than her size, and trying to put it with all other placards after we finished at capitol hill. When I, Bhavesh and vnky asked her if we can help, she said thanks, I got it. Then my wife said no wonder she is needhelp!'s daughter.

gdhiren
09-20-2007, 12:40 PM

abhijitp, You deserve to be the MAN OF THE RALLY (I don't like to argue with ladies so I am choosing MAN :)) Whaever crowd we had at the rally the credit goes to you for the Partner thread which really helped increase the attendance and eventually out of area crowd beat the locals. Not to mention the great permonance on guitar on my favourite music.

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Dhiren - your baby is a hero before he/she is born - Kudos to your wife for doing the 2 mile walk - I know how it feels to walk with a baby - we are also in the same boat :)

I had been talking to Sivakanth and he told me how yourself, Arun and all your DC gang worked tirelessly

YOU GUYS were EXCELLENT and WONDERFUL

All this shows how much has gone into this rally and planning. This will give a sense of what it takes to achieve something that is phenomenal in nature.

Yes, we can achieve GROUND BREAKING results with folks like you

gdhiren
09-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Dhiren - your baby is a hero before he/she is born - Kudos to your wife for doing the 2 mile walk - I know how it feels to walk with a baby - we are also in the same boat :)

I had been talking to Sivakanth and he told me how yourself, Arun and all your DC gang worked tirelessly

YOU GUYS were EXCELLENT and WONDERFUL

All this shows how much has gone into this rally and planning. This will give a sense of what it takes to achieve something that is phenomenal in nature.

Yes, we can achieve GROUND BREAKING results with folks like you

Thanks. I missed you. I think I should have seen you but can't remember. Since morning at least 10 people who i have talked to from Tri-State area asked me if I know where is chanduv23? they just wanted to see the great motivator like you. Please point me to the picture where I can find you. Your posts on the IV forum have been an inspiration for lot of folks. It takes people like you to form a group of wonderful hardworking folks.

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks. I missed you. I think I should have seen you but can't remember. Since morning at least 10 people who i have talked to from Tri-State area asked me if I know where is chanduv23? they just wanted to see the great motivator like you. Please point me to the picture where I can find you. Your posts on the IV forum have been an inspiration for lot of folks. It takes people like you to form a group of wonderful hardworking folks.

Oh Dude, I am in a lot of pics - I will point u to one hang on :) - actually if u look at Sheela Murthy's website, I am behind her when she was giving her speech and I was also behind Aman Kapoor holding the flag when he was giving his pre rally speech - So it is easy to figure out :)

pdakwala
09-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Three unbelivable things had happen in DC.

1. Aman forgot his cell phone in the Cab. This phone had all the important contact information. One passenger using the cab found it and he decided to return it to the owner of the cell phone. The passenger did not want to give his cell phone to the cab driver since there is no guarantee that the cab driver will return the cell phone to Aman. He therefore decided to find the passenger (Aman). The passenger asked the cab driver who was sitting in this cab before he took this cab. Where did he dropped the passenger (Aman).

The driver brought that passenger at the Washington Monument. The passenger asked the driver to find Aman. The driver found Aman and the cell phone was returned.

2. I forgot to get my laptop from the cab. The cab left after dropping me, Kushal and Ashish at the hotel. The only thing we knew was the color of the cab. The laptop carrying case had important IV documents, checks that some members had contributed and my personnel check book. Ashish and Kushal were helping me to find the cab company waiting outside the hotel on the road. We spent approximately 2 hour waiting on the road. Kushal kept calling each cab company informing that we have forgot to collect the laptop from the hotel. Ashish kept collecting the phone numbers of the different cab company.

Not only that Meenal who was attending different meetings in capitol hill kept asking different cabs about the ways to find the cab and laptop when she get some time between the meetings. At 6:30 PM Aman, Tamsen, Nili, Meenal, kushal, Rajesh, and I met at Bombay palace for the dinner since we all were very hungry. Aman told me that we will dedicate the whole day Wed. to find the laptop and he was very confident that we will find the laptop. Tamsen was trying to find the cab company on the internet using color combination. I can see that everyone was concerned and were wishing that I get my lost laptop back some way.

At exactly 8:36 PM I got a call from one passenger who was living in VA and told me that he had my laptop. He along with his wife came all the way back to DC capitol (45 MINUTES DRIVE) just to return my laptop.

3. Whoever have came to DC for this rally had met real IV members. I have not seen or met any individual who said that he or she made a mistake coming to DC for this rally. This was an unbelivable event. People who did not came to DC for sure made a mistake of deciding not to come to DC for any reason.

Cheers

gdhiren
09-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Oh Dude, I am in a lot of pics - I will point u to one hang on :) - actually if u look at Sheela Murthy's website, I am behind her when she was giving her speech and I was also behind Aman Kapoor holding the flag when he was giving his pre rally speech - So it is easy to figure out :)

Cool. nice to see the pics. Now I know who I am talking to.

BharatPremi
09-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Wow!!! I wish I could have attended this mesmarizing rally experience. Now can you guys come up with more data on who (Rally member) met who (Law makers / Media Persons ) and how those meetings were and what opinions you heard at least verbally. What we could successfully conveyed particularly to law makers etc...

Meenal
09-20-2007, 01:12 PM
It was great to meet your wife and I admire her will power - It is not an easy thing to do a 2 mile walk on a sunny/hot day when you are pregnant!!

It was a great pleasure to meet you. The only reason I still have my bags is -You. You are really organized!

Meenal

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 01:18 PM

They probably wanted to beat me up :)

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Cool. nice to see the pics. Now I know who I am talking to.

Yeah - I did talk to u :)

Meenal
09-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I think we should make a list of things we lost and found in D.C :)

The amazing thing is We Found all the things we lost. I found the same pair of glasses Twice! The owner managed to lose it again in the situation room and I found it again - I think he didn't like the glasses :)

Chargers and ties were lost and found. I think after working 3 days straight, without much food/sleep and thousand and one things on our mind - we too were lost :)

Meenal

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 01:24 PM
The driver of the cab talked to me and said there was a man in a suit who forgot his blackberry in my car. And after having heard the hilarious (but obviously stressful to him) stories about him losing his bags and what not, I had no doubt in my mind who it was, so I pointed out to Aman and sure enough thats who it was. :D

Three unbelivable things had happen in DC.

1. Aman forgot his cell phone in the Cab. This phone had all the important contact information. One passenger using the cab found it and he decided to return it to the owner of the cell phone. The passenger did not want to give his cell phone to the cab driver since there is no guarantee that the cab driver will return the cell phone to Aman. He therefore decided to find the passenger (Aman). The passenger asked the cab driver who was sitting in this cab before he took this cab. Where did he dropped the passenger (Aman).

The driver brought that passenger at the Washington Monument. The passenger asked the driver to find Aman. The driver found Aman and the cell phone was returned.

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 01:29 PM
The driver of the cab talked to me and said there was a man in a suit who forgot his blackberry in my car. And after having heard the hilarious (but obviously stressful to him) stories about him losing his bags and what not, I had no doubt in my mind who it was, so I pointed out to Aman and sure enough thats who it was. :D

I hope he does not forget us - all IV folks - entire community - who depends on this "Great Man who forgets laptops, bags and cell phones"

I am sure "forgetting us will never happen" - he forgets all those things because he "has all of us in his heart" :):):)

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 01:32 PM
"Some might wonder why we participated? Well, how could we give up on a chance to make history and truly understand what it means to live in a democracy. Its not about desperation for a green card, its about fairness and dignity. We believe that we have the right to a fair, open and predictable process and anything else is an affront to our dignity. We believe that the system is broken and can be changed. But change to the system will not come overnight and it will definitely not come with us keeping quiet. So we got out and did what we knew was possible - get the message out, propose solutions, meet congressmen and appeal to people's conscience.

In participating in this movement for change, we realized something else that we would like to share. We realize that the struggle for a fair immigration process is but a process of change just like struggles against oppresion and prejudice of different severities. The only difference is that its a question of dignity and fair process versus segregated facilities and disenfranchisement. Accept one and you accept the other. So if we wonder how the world could have every been a certain way in the past, we don't have to look beyond ourselves. Honest and well intentioned as we might be, if we cannot stand up and say something about something that affects our rights and freedoms as individuals, we are saying that we are OK with all that is around us.

thanks to all who offered support! if you are still on the sidelines, do get involved! Our success depends on all of us making a contribution!"

I am stealing your message to use in my email to my friends.

Meenal
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Well said indeed!
Can you pm me your real name or picture. I am pretty sure i have met/talked to you.
Thanks for inspiring ppl to attend the rally.
Meenal

I hope he does not forget us - all IV folks - entire community - who depends on this "Great Man who forgets laptops, bags and cell phones"

I am sure "forgetting us will never happen" - he forgets all those things because he "has all of us in his heart" :):):)

indio0617
09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Wow!!! I wish I could have attended this mesmarizing rally experience. Now can you guys come up with more data on who (Rally member) met who (Law makers / Media Persons ) and how those meetings were and what opinions you heard at least verbally. What we could successfully conveyed particularly to law makers etc...

While we need to collate all the lawmaker meetings data, PLEASE DO NOT post any meeting details on the forum. We do not want to make any of the confidential data public.

We shall let you all know how we wish to collect the information.

Thank You.

pdakwala
09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Everyone knows that IV had requested its members to booked their ticket for 13th of Sept. Later on we have to change it to 18TH of Sept.

There are number of members who have booked their ticket for 13th of Sept. and then later have paid some fees to change it to 18th of Sept. We would like to tell each and every member of IV that IV have not reimburse anyone any fee difference that airlines have charged them. We did receive the initial request but later on they all changed their mind and said that we would not like IV to reimburse the difference that airlines have charged. WOW

Cheers to everyone who decided not to ask IV to reimburse the fee difference that they paid to Airline companies.

Pratik

dtekkedil
09-20-2007, 01:40 PM
I think we should make a list of things we lost and found in D.C :)

The amazing thing is We Found all the things we lost. I found the same pair of glasses Twice! The owner managed to lose it again in the situation room and I found it again - I think he didn't like the glasses :)

Chargers and ties were lost and found. I think after working 3 days straight, without much food/sleep and thousand and one things on our mind - we too were lost :)

Meenal

Speaking of ties... I met a volunteer (I think his name was Rajesh or Ramesh) at the registration desk who "loaned" me a tie for my Lobby meeting. When I asked him how I can return it to him he said "just give it to any CA members. I'll get it"

So please friend... whoever or wherever you are thank you and please send me a PM so that I can mail it back to you!

Dilip

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY LAWMAKER MEETING STUFF OR SENSITIVE INFORMATION ON THIS THREAD

THIS THREAD IS JUST FOR SHARING SOME NICE MOMENTS SOME MEMORIES AND FOR "OH WAS THAT YOU??" AND "DID WE REALLY MEET?" KIND OF MESSAGES

pdakwala
09-20-2007, 01:56 PM
We have informed everyone before the meet the lawmakers drive and we are informing everyone that please sent your feedback to IV at Lobbyday @immigrationvoice.org.

DO NOT POST ANY FEEDBACK MESSAGE ON THE FORUM. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT SO PLEASE SENT MEETING DETAILS ASAP at lobbyday@immigrationvoice.org

Thanks

Pratik

ajm
09-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Cheers to everyone who decided not to ask IV to reimburse the fee difference that they paid to Airline companies.
Pratik

I was one of the members who bought the ticket early for Sep 13 and had to rebook. Initially, I did ask IV to reimburse me but after receiving a very nice email from Aman and seeing how sincerely they wanted to set things right (regardless of whether I could make it on Sep 18), I never took them up on the reimbursement offer.

Attending the rally was great! The people who did not come have missed out on a unique experience.

paskal
09-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Keep the Aroras seperate , that is, Puneet Arora and Sumita Arora....these guys would not miss a single chance to beat each other up.

Sumita dials.

that ride was just hilarious...for the record it was vijay who told me "i don't know how i got here...i can't remember", he had lefts and rights nicely mixed up! pratik was in the same car and told me later that vijay did not believe that machine could beat him so he constantly challenged the directions :D

as for sumita (samay)...besides working very hard...she provided great entertainment...don't know what we would have done without her. i'm going to remember her waiving her car keys at me and asking me to drive and then even before the car moved...she announed "not so fast" , took you and me a moment to realize she was saying it to vijay on the phone not to poor me who had not yet moved!!!!! i will also not forget her walking upto the registration desk on rally day and someone said good morning...sending sumita into a real tizzy as her morning "had begun at 5 am" which is absolutely true...since she had one of aman's lost bags and was given no choice but to drive to VA to return it...
yeah and that "tom-tom"...wish she would learn to program it :D
(ok now we are guaranteed to get a response! if not let's make a lawyer joke!)

i was also in that other hilarious cab ride well after midnight on monday night when we were desprately trying to find our hotel. i will never ever forget logiclife's frustration sitting next to the driver who could neither read nor understand english and was deathly scared that if he went for directions we would ride away in his cab :D:D
that scene when logiclife finally grabbed the wheel on the highway to get us on the correct exit had me and pratik in splits the rest of the ride...and when he tried to get the cabbie to move as the other car we were following was leaving...tapped in on the shoulder..then head...finally his face as our guy seened utterly lost trying to read his zones and calculate how much fare we were building up in that wild ride...

add to that aman's lost bags and cell phone and constant attempts to call akhil to retrieve his wallet...poor akhil arrived back huffing and puffing and in mortal panic...later we discovered we had his home phone number and had been leaving messages on it for 2 days...and wondering why in the world he would not pick his phone up!

btw i persuaded jane to eat a samosa...she was very scared it would keep her up but the small size convinced her to try it...i think she even like it...:cool:

paskal
09-20-2007, 03:11 PM
we really do want to hear everyone's experiences
tell us what it was like to meet pappu and logiclife
and aman...
not to forget macaca and jaime!!!!!

btw i never met jaime...there's one regret finally....

akhilmahajan
09-20-2007, 03:26 PM
add to that aman's lost bags and cell phone and constant attempts to call akhil to retrieve his wallet...poor akhil arrived back huffing and puffing and in mortal panic...later we discovered we had his home phone number and had been leaving messages on it for 2 days...and wondering why in the world he would not pick his phone up!

It was a unique situation.........
me and my wife were coming back from a lawmakers meeting and found that Aman was waiting for his wallet as the luggage was in my car...........

while walking fast she scratched her ankle badly and was not able to walk properly............ so i made her sit at an intersection and ran towards the hotel............ then had to rush back to get her, as i had asked to her wait at an intersection....

was fun and by the time i reached back i was like all huffed/puffed up and she was laughing at me...........

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 03:31 PM
I met pappu for the first time at the reception registration, and someone had to point out to me that it was him heeeee. Honored to meet you!
pdakwala, you are the best, you were the one who called me and tried to get AA to waive the change fees for me, and I had really looked forward to meeting you. It is plainly evident that you guys really care about your members.
Paskal, I had seen your picture before, so I knew it was you. You made us walk all the way back to the starting point by which time all the cleanup was already done!
MACACA IS REALLY MY CHACHA NOW :) I couldn't stop shouting MACACA randomly. I think I even shouted PAPPU out of dhiren's car.
Aman, I couldn't believe how everyone was approaching him for all the pettiest of things (including myself) and he always obliged.
LogicLife is too proud.. he didn't take the rose I offered him during the rally. I don't want to have anything to do with him now!!

Libra
09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Logiclife, i can't imagine you refused to take a rose from such a beautiful girl :confused:

LogicLife is too proud.. he didn't take the rose I offered him during the rally. I don't want to have anything to do with him now!!

vasa
09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
i had pleasuer to meet with aman/logic life/paskal/pappu. it made some good sense to put a face with the IV handle and it does helps a lot.
over all my experience was that all members (core and non core) worked earnestly to make anything and everything possible. i know it as i was outside the room where all the action was... and could see honesty in every action.

this will go down as long lasting memories with me...

thanks
vasa

gcsngh
09-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi,

I have a question and would appreciate your inputs...I am on a H1b with a Company full time and recently received my EAD...can I continue to be on H1 and pick up a part time job on EAD?

Do understand this thread is for sharing DC memories...;)

paskal
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I met pappu for the first time at the reception registration, and someone had to point out to me that it was him heeeee. Honored to meet you!
pdakwala, you are the best, you were the one who called me and tried to get AA to waive the change fees for me, and I had really looked forward to meeting you. It is plainly evident that you guys really care about your members.
Paskal, I had seen your picture before, so I knew it was you. You made us walk all the way back to the starting point by which time all the cleanup was already done!
MACACA IS REALLY MY CHACHA NOW :) I couldn't stop shouting MACACA randomly. I think I even shouted PAPPU out of dhiren's car.
Aman, I couldn't believe how everyone was approaching him for all the pettiest of things (including myself) and he always obliged.

see i changed your name above :D
yup i made you walk to washington monument...i remember...and before i say the rest...my very grateful thanks for actually coming!
some wonderful people had already arrived there and we were able to start clearing the place out thus depriving you and texanmom of the pleasure of lifting placards and water bottles and so on...too bad...next time walk faster :D:D

i want to say this...lots is being said about local guys not coming and all...but the local team that did show up and ran the host program and were marshalls and helped clear the two grounds up..were simply too good.their efforts went a long way in making the whole event a success.

as for logiclife...he has had "enough of flowery protests"...i'll leave the rest to your imagination ;)

sgupta33
09-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I just wanted to say that the rally, all the pre-rally prep, and meeting with lawmakers was such an intense and exhilarating experience! I feel so priviledged to have met some of the core IV people - I felt like a groupie meeting superstars! They are truly inspiring... There were so many other wonderful people I had the chance to meet who now make my wait more meaningful. It was such fun getting to know all of you and sharing the experience. I have wonderful memories of the entire event...

Meenal
09-20-2007, 04:28 PM
that ride was just hilarious...for the record it was vijay who told me "i don't know how i got here...i can't remember", he had lefts and rights nicely mixed up! pratik was in the same car and told me later that vijay did not believe that machine could beat him so he constantly challenged the directions :D

as for sumita (samay)...besides working very hard...she provided great entertainment...don't know what we would have done without her. i'm going to remember her waiving her car keys at me and asking me to drive and then even before the car moved...she announed "not so fast" , took you and me a moment to realize she was saying it to vijay on the phone not to poor me who had not yet moved!!!!! i will also not forget her walking upto the registration desk on rally day and someone said good morning...sending sumita into a real tizzy as her morning "had begun at 5 am" which is absolutely true...since she had one of aman's lost bags and was given no choice but to drive to VA to return it...

i was also in that other hilarious cab ride well after midnight on monday night when we were desprately trying to find our hotel. i will never ever forget logiclife's frustration sitting next to the driver who could neither read nor understand english and was deathly scared that if he went for directions we would ride away in his cab :D:D
that scene when logiclife finally grabbed the wheel on the highway to get us on the correct exit had me and pratik in splits the rest of the ride...and when he tried to get the cabbie to move as the other car we were following was leaving...tapped in on the shoulder..then head...finally his face as our guy seened utterly lost trying to read his zones and calculate how much fare we were building up in that wild ride...

btw i persuaded jane to eat a samosa...she was very scared it would keep her up but the small size convinced her to try it...i think she even like it...:cool:

I wish I was in that cab, would have loved to see logiclife frustrated!
Also, a point to be noted - why was that Paskal's entire trip was comedy of Errors - I think it's got to do something with the man hiself :)

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
IV had brought in hundreds of T - shirts to hand out. We were giving them out to everyone with a request to contribute on the web site. When we were out,
one of our volunteers, Kaushal, I think (don't know iv handle), he took out his own IV tshirt and gave it away!!

Another thing, I want to thank all the volunteer(s) who were asked to stay back to take care of the origin point and couldn't march in the rally.

Meenal
09-20-2007, 04:42 PM
IV had brought in hundreds of T - shirts to hand out. We were giving them out to everyone with a request to contribute on the web site. When we were out,
one of our volunteers, Kaushal, I think (don't know iv handle), he took out his own IV tshirt and gave it away!!

Another thing, I want to thank all the volunteer(s) who were asked to stay back to take care of the origin point and couldn't march in the rally.

Needhelp - you are actually v. helpful. Change your name to wanttohelp :)
you are a sweetheart!

Meenal

Meenal
09-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Now that I have talked about so many people....let me tell you what I did to freak out Aman.....

Sunday afternoon, Aman asked me to take out about 5,000 printouts of our documents and put them in 120 folders for the meetings on Monday. I started doing it but the printer was painfully slow. After a while, I figured it will take me hours to do it and I was getting restless because I go to gym daily and I had not worked- out that day. I decided to run upstairs to the fitness centre and get done with it.

I came back in about 1.5 hrs., and there was a big chaos - so many printouts flying around!! Aman looked tensed. Anyways, I worked 5 hrs straight and with the help of great volunteers there I was able to get all those 120 folders ready for the monday morning.

So much so for my Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour! Needless to say, I didnot work-out the other 2 days....didn't want people to know I am crazy :)

Meenal

guyfromsg
09-20-2007, 05:06 PM
we really do want to hear everyone's experiences
tell us what it was like to meet pappu and logiclife
and aman...
not to forget macaca and jaime!!!!!

btw i never met jaime...there's one regret finally....

If he is ok, I'll post the link..For some reason I though Jaime is a girl and we had a hearty laugh about it :)

seahawks
09-20-2007, 05:10 PM

Okay for the record from my side (Vijay's side of the story). The GPS girl had a sweet voice and she wouldn't talk to me unless I made a wrong turn. Finally I loved listening to her "Recalculating" and I could go on, until Puneet and Sumita interrupted. :p I was in fact contemplating on giving flowers to the GPS girl if not for logiclife's sweet reminder that only he had the rights to be "flowery" :D
May be that is the reason he did not accept flowers from needhelp! Well the bottom line counts, we all had food after long drive on a supposedly short route.

On a side note, someone told me D.C is was very nice to see at night, so was trying my level best to make Pratik, Jay and Vandana enjoyed sight seeing enroute to the restaurant!:)

akhilmahajan
09-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Okay for the record from my side (Vijay's side of the story). The GPS girl had a sweet voice and she wouldn't talk to me unless I made a wrong turn. Finally I loved listening to her "Recalculating" and I could go on, until Puneet and Sumita interrupted. :p I was in fact contemplating on giving flowers to the GPS girl if not for logiclife's sweet reminder that only he had the rights to be "flowery" :D
May be that is the reason he did not accept flowers from needhelp! Well the bottom line counts, we all had food after long drive on a supposedly short route.

On a side note, someone told me D.C is was very nice to see at night, so was trying my level best to make Pratik, Jay and Vandana enjoyed sight seeing enroute to the restaurant!:)

it was 3:00 AM in the morning.
i think it was little late for sight seeing.
specially everyone wanted to eat KABOBS since evening.

pdakwala
09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Everyone please three cheers for these girls.

Kanika: She was working with her one year old or may be less than a year kid in one hand. By the way her kid was helping her to to hold the phone and her another hand was holding the apointment document and pen.

Niloufer: She came to IV situation room for the first time. Her daughter was with her husband. We were running short of people and had lot of things to do. I was the one who did not even ask whether she is ok to do some work on that day. Sorry for that Niloufer but you are wonderful person.

Meenal: After working for three whole days, she was without even thinking about herself kept looking for my laptop. My company would have fired me if they would have found that I have some company data in the laptop which is lost. But fortunately I found my laptop. You were on the top of it and were very determined to find my laptop. Thanks for all your help

Sumita: Oh man, she speaks a lot. But let me tell you one thing. Without her help we would not have the successfull "Meet the Lawmaker day". We had 100+ meetings arranged on Monday. She made sure that our members attend each of these meetings.

Nili: She had a broken ankle but was on her feet from day one. She took care of each of the CA members and made sure that they meet each of the CA lawmakers in DC.

Tamsen: I think she have never said "NO" in her life. I think in her dictationary there is the word "NO" is not listed. We kept assigning lot of the task to her and she kept doing it.

Your dedication to IV is the real strength of IV.

JazzByTheBay
09-20-2007, 05:21 PM
- It was a historic event, in a historic and scenic location with plenty of symbolism about what America represents - the Washington Monument to the Capitol, and the lobby day, reception (both of which I missed thanks to my flight delay) and press conferences at the Rayburn building.

- An excellent opportunity to get our voices heard where it matters - in D.C.
- Meet fellow IV members!
- Great photo opportunities
- Stories most of us will cherish for the rest of our lives and share with our children & grand children
- Last but not the least, it's always a pleasure to see an intelligent, calm, restrained leader like Aman Kapoor leading the effort in all his selflessness (he already got his green card a while ago). Proud to be a part of an org led by you Mr. Kapoor!

- And before I forget - another incredible selfless person, Ms. Tamsen!
- Plenty of others - too long a list to mention, you know who you are!

Had some down sides as well, but I'll keep this a fun thread... :)

jazz

JazzByTheBay
09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Hmmm... humorous stories...

Well there was gsc999 and jazz trying to pull a "room service" gag on Drona and myself, but they went to the wrong room...

...And the dump of a hotel didn't have room service to begin with... :)

... but a lot of the others must stay in DC :)

Absolutely.... :)

jazz

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Yes three cheers for everyone in the list, please leave me out because I was just having a blast!

Everyone please three cheers for these girls.

gsc999
09-20-2007, 05:38 PM

---
Do you know who it was? If Kaushal is reading this, please PM me. IV would like to reward this generous gesture. We would like to send you an IV t-shirt.

As an anecdote: It took six volunteers to bring all the T-shirts to the venue.
A lot of heavy duty weightlifting at the airport check ins. A lot of labor went into all this. People who got a T-shirt, please contribute to IV to cover the cost of the T-shirts.

I remember, JazzByThe Bay missed the Monday reception because of change in plans by some volunteer who was suppose to pick him up at the Dulles airport. Jazz, who flew from California, brought the heavy T-shirt box along with his own luggage right to the Capital building. I was really surprised when he didn't complain about missing the dinner but was more concerned about the timely delivery of T-shirts. Our work is made easy by such dedicated members

cheers!

dtekkedil
09-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Folks if you want to know how to handle an interview... learn it from Pappu!! He was smooth (read slippery) as... soap?... hell anything that is smooth :)

Pappu... any training you can give me? :eek:

I may even be able to pay you... once you get your EAD! :)

dtekkedil
09-20-2007, 06:32 PM
We reached the gurudwara at 4:30 AM only to find that the building said "Catholic Church". Since it was a pretty large compound we thought that the gurudwara might be one of the buildings in the compound or shared by the Catholic Church. So we waited for the gurudwara manager to arrive.

After about 20 mins, I got a call from the manager asking us where we were. I told him that we were at the parking lot. He sounded surprised and that's when I realized that there was something wrong. I asked him for the address and it turned out to be 3801 instead of 3810 (where we had parked). Lucky for us it was just across the street!

The manager was very helpful. He even prepared tea and got us donuts while we freshened up! Not just that; he woke up at 4:30 AM and drove to DC from Virginia to open the gurudwara for us!

After going through our daily lives, we tend to forget that there are such nice people in the world!

franklin
09-20-2007, 07:36 PM
as for logiclife...he has had "enough of flowery protests"...i'll leave the rest to your imagination ;)

I am actually very dissappointed with myself. In the post rally MC fluster, I had made a mental note to introduce Logiclife and then give him a flower. But I hear he strongly opposes measures such as this :)

I had also promised to get Macaca on the stage and write with colorful Sharpies on his forehead.

Its probably best I forgot both...

gsc999
09-20-2007, 08:12 PM
I am actually very dissappointed with myself. In the post rally MC fluster, I had made a mental note to introduce Logiclife and then give him a flower. But I hear he strongly opposes measures such as this :)

I had also promised to get Macaca on the stage and write with colorful Sharpies on his forehead.

Its probably best I forgot both...

Yes, Logiclife is a bit touchy about the flower issue. But its all good

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Now, I see this trend - needhelp, tamsen and so many girls giving flowers to logiclife ............. and logiclife not accepting them .......

I think the issue here is, logiclife is flooded with these requests and has retrogressed accepting flowers - he will be announcing priority dates soon - and probably per country limits also. So please keep cjecking the special bulletin logiclife will release every month :)

franklin
09-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I've just had an idea... Let's create an Urgent Action Item to send bouquets to Logiclife

:D

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I've just had an idea... Let's create an Urgent Action Item to send bouquets to Logiclife

:D

followed by a rally so that he reverses his decision :D:D

needhelp!
09-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Can you PM me the story behind that. Or else...

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by gsc999
Can you PM me the story behind that. Or else...

No PM please

This has to be discussed in the public forum.

gsc999 - U will have to let us know - or else u wont be sapred ;)

"LOGICLIFE BEING TOUCHY WITH FLOWER ISSUE"

arc
09-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I came to the congressional reception early with all the name tags and some one asked me what is in the box, I TOLD them what is your name I got the GC for you :)

It was great to meet each and everyone of you... had so much fun and a big shout out to the Marshals, I kept finding Marshals in the rally pics but since we were at the periphery we were not in pics... but the rally was contained and safe thats the good part, hope it went well at the end, sorry I had to leave to catch a flight back to SJ :)

-Arc:cool:

arc
09-20-2007, 09:04 PM
We should tell Sukh Praaji to deliver u-haul full of flowers to logiclife :)

Sukh - great job man, as promised we reached before you did... you really did a great job hauling the banners, water, flowers, flags. Tu-Si-great ho... praa.

chanduv23
09-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Now who is Sukh Praaji ??? Can someone elaborate on this character?

thescadaman
09-20-2007, 10:01 PM
There are just too many fond memories to share in one post... but I do want to specially thank leo2606 who drove 70 miles to pick up myself, venkygct, vsraja and punjabi at the Dulles airport and then took us out for breakfast, then to the rally venue, then for lunch, finally to a hotel room we had booked for a quick shower, basically... like a shadow he was with us wherever we wanted to go! And... whenever we thanked him (and gdhiren who co-ordinated pickups/dropoffs for many ....

A Special thanks to the Lets Partner to Increase Thread. I am proud to say that I am a successful graduate of that thread. Three members including Abhijit found sponsors for my ticket and thats how I was able to represent Texas in the DC Rally.

I did not realize that our guitarist was Abhijit. Abhijit, I did greet you while you were walking towards the registration booth in the morning. Had I knew that it was you, I would have thanked you there itself!

paskal
09-20-2007, 10:52 PM
It was great meeting and working with everyone especiallyJay,Aman,Himanshu,Vandana,Prateek,Nilli, Vandana,Mark,Tamsen,Puneet (yes- I am being nice to you inspite of the lawyer jokes u crack at my expense!!!),Anil,Sanjeev,Rajesh,Macacaa(yes I was a bit too hard on you:)but it was all in good spirit) and ofcourse my friend Meenal. I just want to thank a few volunteers who worked on lobby day meetings with me but could not attend the lobby day or the rally day-Fora,Vasu and Payal. We are all so glad the lobby day meetings and the Rally went well. It really shows what we can do when we all get together. Kudos to IV and its members!

Sumita

hey... for the record i did not crack a single lawyer joke...honestly!!!!!!
on second thoughts i might have wondered if you would sue the city for your parking tickets :p

thank you you for all that work, the car rides, even the tom tom
it was great! hope you got home without anyone else's bags in tow :D

485_se_dukhi
09-20-2007, 11:58 PM
I'd love that...:) Great, I did see you. Lets catch up at the next rally ;)

gsc999
09-21-2007, 12:59 AM
No PM please

This has to be discussed in the public forum.

gsc999 - U will have to let us know - or else u wont be sapred ;)

"LOGICLIFE BEING TOUCHY WITH FLOWER ISSUE"
----
Ok, ok . Once upon a time, when we were planning the San Jose rally, Tamsen & me were discussing that we hand out flowers to passerby because that way, we could weave the concept of "flower campaign" into the San Jose rally.

So, I posted a message with subject line "Flowery campaign"

On the actual day of the rally, after we were all done. Some laggards including Logiclife, Pratik, myself and a few others went to lunch. There Logiclife mentioned that one strange dude (which was me) had posted such a strange sissy message about "flowery" stuff. It seems that Logiclife must have forgotten my ID. He said it so seriously that I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was me. He went on to say that what was this person thinking.

Fast forward to Situation room in Hyatt(09/16), someone suggested the idea of handing out flowers to passerby again. The old wounds were reopened ;-). I thought that this is the time for my pound of flesh. Logiclife, as anticipated opposed the "flowery" idea. I then pointed out that the strange guy who posted the earlier "Flowery idea" at San Jose rally was me ;-). I saw Logiclife turn red. Paskal took the cue and started to close in on the kill and wanted Logiclife to support the idea. That is the story. Other gals picked up onto this and that is how Logiclife got cornered by the "flowery" idea.:o

anilsal
09-21-2007, 03:03 AM
1) Asked Pdakwala, if his last name meant postman. He said Yes, I am the one who gets receipt notices.
2) GSC999 - what is the announcement that you just made? He said, no announcement - I talk loud.
3) Getting a call from paskal on Monday midnight to tell me that the hotel had ended business with them. I said, I am in China Town with the IL chapter folks - You can join. He said, aman is taking him to some hotel alexandria or such.
4) At the airport on the way back, paskal giving me a lecture on why being scared of wife is good, when all I asked was "why don't u eat a slice of pizza like me before boarding your flight?" He started to piece together things I had emailed in the past few days. Paskal and I happened to have different flights to Chicago and Minneapolis at gates closer to each other. Paskal seemed flustered with a few hours delay.

anilsal
09-21-2007, 03:34 AM
Is it because:
a) he never smiles?
b) every word that comes out of his mouth makes sense?
c) attractive IV handle?

Libra
09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Ans. (b) and (c):D

Is it because:
a) he never smiles?
c) attractive IV handle?

anilsal
09-21-2007, 10:50 AM
first name(not the shortened version) means "luminous/shiny".

His parents caught his aura at birth and named him appropriately.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gbarquero/1412618261/

srikondoji
09-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Shyam: Thank you for your hospitality. You have made me & manish feel at home. Those dosa's were tasty and we also had nice conversation about general issues in the kitchen.

--sri
My wife attended the rally yesterday and this is what she wrote her friends who didn't come to the rally!

Yesterday, Shyam, Isha and I spent all day in DC as part of immigrationvoice, a grassroots non-profit organization that acts as an interface between highly skilled immigrants and the legislative and executive branches of the government. It was a wonderful experience. Over thousand people met at the foot of the Washington monument, and walked all the way to the US capitol. The organization had made good arrangements. Its amazing how people from all over the country were there and very few local people. One South African couple had driven on Monday from Indiana and came to the rally to celebrate the husband's birthday!! He wanted to be a part of this rally as a present for his birthday. We had 2 people - Manish and Sri, from New Hampshire staying with us on Monday who came just for the rally. There were some british, some chinese along with we Desis.

The need for the rally brought to light the real issues -

Most of us may have applied for our I-485 Step 3 in the greencard process, in July 2007, but that doesn't mean we will get our green cards soon. The govt accepts only 140000 applications a year and only 9000 are allocated to Indians in all categories.

Lawmakers and congress are confused when they think of immigrants - they club legal and illegal together. Even the Seattle senator who addressed the gathering yesterday made the same mistake. He said its good that you guys are out here so the congress can see its not only the janitors and others who have immigration issues but also highly skilled immigrants! No mention of legal. He used his time to promote the democratic party and we tried to remind him we don't have voting rights even though we pay the same taxes and work like everyone else!

We have to do something to be heard and heard right!

Thats the beauty of this country you can reach out to people in the highest positions and get heard. When the voice is collective its even more powerful. Shyam along with many others met with many congressmen and senators over the span on 2 days to explain our plight to them. One congresswoman mentioned that when a bill comes to vote in congress she polls the number of phone calls and emails she gets from her constituency and submits her votes accordingly. I was surprised to see how much actually our voice means.

We don't realize the power we possess since we are sitting in our own life bubbles of work, home, stress, kids and everything that most often swallows our individuality and ability to think. We need to step up think for ourselves and and help ourselves and everyone else in the process.

Like Sheela murthy, one of the leading immigration lawyers, said that yesterday's rally and the forum immigrationvoice.org (https://mail.medimmune.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://immigrationvoice.org/) may not make an immediate impact. But we are truly paving the way for the future of legal immigrants to the US.

The forum is the only organized and collective way to get out our frustration against the system! So many people don't understand the hardships and seriousness of the greencard issues. Especially the people who got their greencards pre 2001 era! If you are interested in finding out more about the forum and the need for high level lobbying please visit immigrationvoice.org (https://mail.medimmune.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://immigrationvoice.org/). If you were ever stuck in the green card rut or you or you have family who are applying, please spread the word and join the fight!

srikondoji
09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Dilip,
You are smart. Pappu will continue to work on H1-B, even after receiving EAD.
It was pappu who said that 'Working on EAD is one-way street".
So, you will get your training and still don't have to pay penny unless pappu accepts cash.
--sri
Folks if you want to know how to handle an interview... learn it from Pappu!! He was smooth (read slippery) as... soap?... hell anything that is smooth :)

Pappu... any training you can give me? :eek:

I may even be able to pay you... once you get your EAD! :)

paskal
09-21-2007, 12:17 PM
hey...beer today...gone tomorrow
next time remember that :D

ok man..next rally you can have one on me!

needhelp!
09-21-2007, 12:32 PM
b & c

a is not true.

Is it because:
a) he never smiles?
c) attractive IV handle?

paskal
09-21-2007, 02:29 PM
d) his "flowery" personality :-)

srikondoji
09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
sure.

hey...beer today...gone tomorrow
next time remember that :D

ok man..next rally you can have one on me!

gsc999
09-21-2007, 03:41 PM
The trio instrumental in DC rally ground work:

1) Nixtor - Tireless, selfless and always on the go
2) Arun - The perfect logistic manager
3) Along with Sukh. Just tell Sukh what you want and he will get it done.

This trio made this happen on ground DC. Hats off to these amazing people!

needhelp!
09-21-2007, 03:55 PM
She was very sweet, she said 'I'm tired of telling my clients that all you can do is wait.' Now she can tell them, you can do something about it. You have IV.
What is her name.

franklin
09-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey Need Help

I hope your query is answered!Thanks for the pics!!!!

Wow - you are quick! I was just about to dig through my bag to find my MC notes (yes, for some reason they are still in my bag!)

gcpadmavyuh
09-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Ann Ruben of "Steel, Rudnick and Ruben" Law firm.
She was very sweet, she said 'I'm tired of telling my clients that all you can do is wait.' Now she can tell them, you can do something about it. You have IV.
What is her name.

mpadapa
09-21-2007, 04:11 PM
It was great to attach faces to the IV handles...

I walked into situation room on Sunday night at 9 and was thrilled to find almost 30 - 40 ppl working hard on the preparations for the lobby day on monday. It was great to meet aman, paskal, pappu, logiclife, gsc999, nixstor, arun,..... (list is too long:D)

Soon I and mark teamed up to do the preps for the lobby day meetings. Monday was fun, with all the meetings with lawmakers with barely any time in between meetings - we were literally on the run, hopped on to taxi to save time and walk!! It was a chilling feeling when couple of times ppl on the hallway of Rayburn/Cannon stopped us and asked "R U lobbyist?":D

Dinner was a great. Hats of to Anu and Meenal for the menu... It was nice that we got the food all the way to situation room, so that we can have another go at it!!! Speeches by fellow IV-ers, lawyers and lawmakers at the dinner really primed us with lots of energy for rally on Tuesday. Ofcoz the wine helped too:D:D

The rally was just great. Even though I didn't have my breakfast, the energy of the people around me kept me going or was it the wine...

I had an opportunity to meet a great bunch of folks focussed on a common goal. After meeting 6 lawmakers and seeing the enthusiastic members who drive this organization. I am confident success is around the corner:D

GO IV GO
Murali

needhelp!
09-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Even though I didn't have my breakfast, the energy of the people around me kept me going

I am sure a lot of volunteers shed a few pounds. beenwaiting shouldn't feel bad that you missed your gym on the last two days. See see another advantage of being at the rally... (unless ofcourse you loaded up on the reception desserts like me ;))

And thanks Ann Ruben!!

Meenal
09-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I am sure a lot of volunteers shed a few pounds. beenwaiting shouldn't feel bad that you missed your gym on the last two days. See see another advantage of being at the rally... (unless ofcourse you loaded up on the reception desserts like me ;))

And thanks Ann Ruben!!

Believe it or not I did lose couple of pounds - next time, I will get my gym buddies to the rally :)

Meenal

leo2606
09-23-2007, 03:57 PM
It's nothing compared to 2,800 miles 1 way from CA.:)

paskal
09-23-2007, 06:08 PM
a lot has been said about non participation from the region nearby to DC.
but this post is about something very different. i would like to highlight the
very important role that our members and volunteers from tri state and the DC area played in the rally. they worked against all odds and deserve sincere thanks.

tri state: this is the most dedicated bunch there is...singhsa3, chanduv23, tnight, siravi, mpadapa, mbartosik, poonam and many others worked tirelessly against serious odds to cover the region with fliers and motivate rally goers and contributors. i'm sure i'm forgetting someone...very sorry...tell me and i'll edit :-) tikka whose commitment to iv is always without question made it to the rally despite serious work constraints and always set an example for others to follow. singhsa3 unfortunately could not and we were only too glad to stand in for him.
the two buses from tri state were arranged by singhsa3 and mpadapa and were superbly managed by laborchic and GreenGrass...sounds like everyone had a great time! we are all confident that the tri state chapter will build over time and will be a force to reckon with- how can it not- it has the most able leaders and volunteers there are....

i have to confess to bugging these folks on a constant basis about spreading the message, in retrospect it was not needed in the least...they walked the talk everyday, took time off work, posted and distributed fliers, called members and did everything one could ask and much more. please join me in thanking the tri state chapter for a lot of hard work and endless motivation to our common cause!

and then the local volunteer team from DC/MD/VA, superbly led by a tireless guy who had a full plate throughout - nixstor! i think many rally goers missed how much work was put in by the local folks, they ran a host program- picked up and dropped from airports and put people up. they were ready and willing to do all asked of them starting saturday itself, and on rally day they were responsible for the whole operation- marshals for the rally and ensuring that after everyone departed the two grounds we used were cleared and cleaned as needed. having been there myself i cannot begin to underestimate how much work remained even after the rally was over. i hesitate to name...arun, girdhar and samir- i know, but there were so many others that worked- that i will let the local team chime in here. a special word for sukh- the man is just incredible. from arranging hotels to buying stationary to arranging flowers and flagpoles to helping with the gurudwaras to running the uhaul and the van..and not least getting more than 800 placards ready for the rally- his work never stopped. we all owe a debt of gratitude to the DC area folks who made this rally possible.

let's stop complaining about what may have been for local attendance and instead celebrate the tri state and DC area chapters for what they did do and what they will...for sure ...in the future as well :)

siravi
09-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks, paskal. The pleasure--and pride is all ours! It was indeed great to be a part of the rally and be there with all other IVians.
And in the spirit of this thread, let me tell you, chanduv23 can talk about things besides IV too! During our drive to DC, ps57002 and I were successful in distracting his verbal barrage from immigration, USCIS, IV and have him tell us ghost stories--thus was our introduction to Rajnikanth's "Chandramukhi" :)

seahawks
09-24-2007, 01:31 AM
a lot has been said about non participation from the region nearby to DC.
but this post is about something very different. i would like to highlight the
very important role that our members and volunteers from tri state and the DC area played in the rally. they worked against all odds and deserve sincere thanks.

tri state: this is the most dedicated bunch there is...singhsa3, chanduv23, tnight, siravi, mpadapa, mbartosik, poonam and many others worked tirelessly against serious odds to cover the region with fliers and motivate rally goers and contributors. i'm sure i'm forgetting someone...very sorry...tell me and i'll edit :-) tikka whose commitment to iv is always without question made it to the rally despite serious work constraints and always set an example for others to follow. singhsa3 unfortunately could not and we were only too glad to stand in for him.
the two buses from tri state were arranged by singhsa3 and mpadapa and were superbly managed by laborchic and GreenGrass...sounds like everyone had a great time! we are all confident that the tri state chapter will build over time and will be a force to reckon with- how can it not- it has the most able leaders and volunteers there are....

i have to confess to bugging these folks on a constant basis about spreading the message, in retrospect it was not needed in the least...they walked the talk everyday, took time off work, posted and distributed fliers, called members and did everything one could ask and much more. please join me in thanking the tri state chapter for a lot of hard work and endless motivation to our common cause!

and then the local volunteer team from DC/MD/VA, superbly led by a tireless guy who had a full plate throughout - nixstor! i think many rally goers missed how much work was put in by the local folks, they ran a host program- picked up and dropped from airports and put people up. they were ready and willing to do all asked of them starting saturday itself, and on rally day they were responsible for the whole operation- marshals for the rally and ensuring that after everyone departed the two grounds we used were cleared and cleaned as needed. having been there myself i cannot begin to underestimate how much work remained even after the rally was over. i hesitate to name...arun, girdhar and samir- i know, but there were so many others that worked- that i will let the local team chime in here. a special word for sukh- the man is just incredible. from arranging hotels to buying stationary to arranging flowers and flagpoles to helping with the gurudwaras to running the uhaul and the van..and not least getting more than 800 placards ready for the rally- his work never stopped. we all owe a debt of gratitude to the DC area folks who made this rally possible.

let's stop complaining about what may have been for local attendance and instead celebrate the tri state and DC area chapters for what they did do and what they will...for sure ...in the future as well :)

KUDOS to the local team too, I totally agree, except nixstor kept saying he is not a local when you ask him for directions:)

waitingnwaiting
08-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Just thought it will inspire many new folks here.