PDA

View Full Version : DC Rally - Lessons Learnt

RNGC
09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
First, I would like to congratulate everyone who contributed to the success of the DC rally on Sep 18, 2007...

I was there and I am proud of our ImmigrationVoice members for this FANTASTIC effort!

We are just starting and taking baby steps with these kind of activities...So, anything I mention below is not a critic, but a humble feedback/opinion...Please don't get offended.

1. We must immediately change our name to LegalImmigrationVoice.org( LIV.org)...But still Immigrationvoice.org should work....This should be done ASAP...like within next week...Please conduct a poll for this ASAP.

2. We must/should always wear formal suits for these kind of rally....this would definitely give us a very high status and definitely there will not be any confusion if the rally is by legal or illegal immigrants. Even if it is hot summer, we must stick to this dress code...

3. In all the signs we had today, we need to have one line clearly in bold as "Legal Immigrants - LegalImmigrationVoice.com - Faster Green cards for Legal highly skilled Immigrants" - bold and clear..

Also, all our T-shirts should have
"Legal Immigrants - LegalImmigrationVoice.com - Faster Green cards for Legal highly skilled Immigrants" in the back

4. One of the rally participants told me that a guide was telling a tourists bus passengers quote "these folks are illegal immigrants...", the rally participant who heard this went to the guide and explained that we are legal immigrants...if you think the guide is not smart enough to read our signs and understand that we are legal immigrants, read next point...

5. On the rally route, one gentleman, who was dressed in suit, looked well educated came up to me and asked what we are concerned about...I told him that green card process for Legal Immigrants is taking between 5-10 years and we are requesting to expedite it.....so it is clear that all our signs need this text at the bottom "Legal Immigrants - LegalImmigrationVoice.com - Faster Green cards for Legal highly skilled Immigrants"

We cannot be perfect the first or second time....Lets learn from this rally....

A pat in the back to all those who attended the rally....

Good Luck

Jaime
09-18-2007, 10:15 PM
First, I would like to congratulate everyone who contributed to the success of the DC rally on Sep 18, 2007...

I was there and I am proud of our ImmigrationVoice members for this FANTASTIC effort!

We are just starting and taking baby steps with these kind of activities...So, anything I mention below is not a critic, but a humble feedback/opinion...Please don't get offended.

1. We must immediately change our name to LegalImmigrationVoice.org( LIV.org)...But still Immigrationvoice.org should work....This should be done ASAP...like within next week...Please conduct a poll for this ASAP.

2. We must/should always wear formal suits for these kind of rally....this would definitely give us a very high status and definitely there will not be any confusion if the rally is by legal or illegal immigrants. Even if it is hot summer, we must stick to this dress code...

3. In all the signs we had today, we need to have one line clearly in bold as "Legal Immigrants - LegalImmigrationVoice.com - Faster Green cards for Legal highly skilled Immigrants" - bold and clear..

"Legal Immigrants - LegalImmigrationVoice.com - Faster Green cards for Legal highly skilled Immigrants" in the back

4. One of the rally participants told me that a guide was telling a tourists bus passengers quote "these folks are illegal immigrants...", the rally participant who heard this went to the guide and explained that we are legal immigrants...if you think the guide is not smart enough to read our signs and understand that we are legal immigrants, read next point...

5. On the rally route, one gentleman, who was dressed in suit, looked well educated came up to me and asked what we are concerned about...I told him that green card process for Legal Immigrants is taking between 5-10 years and we are requesting to expedite it.....so it is clear that all our signs need this text at the bottom "Legal Immigrants - LegalImmigrationVoice.com - Faster Green cards for Legal highly skilled Immigrants"

Good Luck

I totally agree, even the congressman that addressed us had the two (legal and illegal confused and lumped together) He was great otherwise, but it's just that Congress and Americans are so used to associating the two, or they plain don't know about "legal highly-skilled". A major next step we need to undertake is education! Whenever we've explained the difference to our American friends they wholeheartedly support us!

ciber.couger
09-18-2007, 10:17 PM
I just mentioned this in preious thread, I totaly agree with you

RNGC
09-18-2007, 10:19 PM
All I want to stress are these keywords in all our prints "Legal - Highly Skilled"

485Question
09-18-2007, 11:46 PM
All I want to stress are these keywords in all our prints "Legal - Highly Skilled"

And well learned.

vamsi_poondla
09-19-2007, 12:00 AM
This is what I felt. When folks from CA could turn out in such a big number, what stopped DC Metro area and NYC/NJ Area folks to come? Perhaps they do not deserve Capital so close to them. What else it is for? To take their friends and relatives there for photo taking? This is what I felt.

Over all, one of the most fulfilling three days of my life. I learnt what is law making in this country and how things work.

Skeptists, IV is moving in the right direction. If inertia of rest is making you go slow, then allow this thread to push yourselves. We are legally supporting your cause. Least you can do is, join the cause and contribute.

natrajs
09-19-2007, 12:04 AM
It was amazing

superdude
09-19-2007, 12:04 AM
I totaly agree with you

kaisersose
09-19-2007, 12:15 AM
I had to reluctantly stay away from the rally due to a brand new baby at home, but I sure hope to be part of future efforts.

And I totally agree that Legal is the keyword. Most Americans are not clear about Legals v Illegals and lump them together. Of course, some just do not care and do not see a need to differentiate between the two. They would just like to see Asian and South Asian folks get out of the country.

And I also am not in favor of asking for an increase in GC quota. Instead I am in favor of not counting spouse and kids against the quota. This itself will effectively inrease the quota to over 350K per year. Directly asking for quota increase always leaves a bad taste for skeptics and will slow down any possible action.

memyselfandus
09-19-2007, 12:40 AM
I have registered this domain. If needed, please send me PM; I can initiate the transfer process. I have already added a forwarding address to the immigrationvoice.com.

This is my from of contribution.

1. We must immediately change our name to LegalImmigrationVoice.com( LIV.org)...But still Immigrationvoice.org should work....This should be done ASAP...like within next week...Please conduct a poll for this ASAP.

little_willy
09-19-2007, 12:44 AM
I was there and am proud to be part of such dedicated individuals:) It was great to catch up with Aman, pappu, logiclife etc. Most of the congressmen's office I met were of the view that it is high time we come out in open and fight for our cause. One legal aide explained me how ignorant most of the lawmakers are when it comes to legal vs illegal immigrants. This rally will be an eyeopener for few of them for sure.

Those who missed, I can assure you that Immigration voice is moving in the right direction. With a leader like Aman and unrelenting individuals like Jay(logiclife) and Himanshu(pappu), we can hope to achieve great things.

For individuals who had to excuse themselves from the rally or from any contribution, my question is, when the high profile attorneys and lawmakers believe that we can make a huge impact, why, you being the beneficiary of the very cause and were able to file 485 because of IV's efforts, fail to understand that we could make a difference. It is high time you participate in this effort.

needhelp!
09-19-2007, 12:47 AM
I agree,I was a bit annoyed when the congressman started talking about the illegals.. it was totally not related to us.

swede
09-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Thank you IV and all volunteers that made this rally happen. It was very well organized and I really enjoyed being part of it!!
I really liked Murthy's speech. Short and to the point. "Legal" is the key.
I also liked Mark's little comedy act.

(Wish more would have shown up to show their support, but I guess some people are content waiting 10 or more years for their GC.)

Suggestions for improvement to next time:

1. I liked that the Chinese group joined the rally, but I didn't like their speaker. He was only talking about Chinese and Indian joining forces, and then making some kind of joke about IC chips are only made by Indians and Chinese. It's ok if you want to be an Indian/Chinese-only group, it is your choice. But if you want to change something about your green cards, you will fail with that attitude. You need to attract and change things for EVERYONE, or no one will listen to you. (If you want IV to be for everyone, IV needs to be more clear on that. There are so many Indians on the forums that ppl might think it is only for Indians.)

2. Minor things... Good job on the signs(!), but there were too many of them. Half would be enough. People had trouble focus on them.
Also, keep the message short. Max a few words. No one can, in a few seconds, read a moving sign containing 4 lines of text with 5 words on each, on an unknown subject. The poor people who tried to read them looked like near-sighted old men. Short and big letters is better. "Shorter wait for legals"
rather than
"Reduce the backlog for highly-skilled legal immigrants so we can live the American dream and not wait for 10 years"

But all in all, I was amazed how well everything was planned. The state flags was a nice touch. Flowers too. Water for the participants. Great! Even the nice DC cops blocking the roads for us seemed very happy with us. Following the law is what legals do...

mbartosik
09-19-2007, 04:52 AM
first - glad you liked my little skit / comedy show, Arman asked me to write a speech, I don't think that was quite what he had in mind when he asked me to speak :D

That was actually a toned down version of my skit :D I took out many of gags and would have loved to put more in.

I hope that a video will be posted, the crowd reaction was fantastic, at least that's what it sounded like from the stage. I had so many people coming up to me after. I've still not quite come down from it. It was fun to deliver too.

------

I like to idea of legalimmigrationvoice.org
legalimmigrationvoice.com points here, but I see that
legalimmigrationvoice.org has this
"If you are interested to have this website please contact us at registerflyaccount@yahoo.com"
I hope that was one of us that registered it (not a camper).

On the rally I saw lots of positive reactions, and just one negative reaction, and I think that he could not read or just assumed illegal, he called out "it will never happen". Even if we had signs that said "We are legal" some would still assume that we were undocumented because they would think that we were only claiming not to be criminals since crossing the boarder without presenting oneself for inspection is technically a civil offense I think. If we all wore suits the mistake would have been made less. The undocumented issue is so embedded in the public's minds.

Signs do need to be more brief.

The anonymity of a forum alias is not a good thing I think. Although the aliases are often cute. Some people called and asked if they had to give their names at registration. The boggy man will not get us! Big brother is not watching, remember he can only afford $2 for name check, so he cannot afford prospection glasses. Also it is handy to know people's names.

Yes we are mostly Indian and mostly Indian and Chinese have really bad delays. But it is unhelpful refer to Indians and Chinese joining forces, or this being an Indian org. etc. I put a lot of effort into trying to show my face in places to make the point that we are not just Indians and Chinese.
(Being a minority Anglo Saxon here I also put a lot of effort into emphasizing dropping country quotas.)

I wore a suit, 3 piece, yes my shirt was sweaty, but that was not caused by the rally it is was my crazy schedule of back to back meetings, and running around logistics organizing. Ironically I rarely wear a suit at work.

Maybe holding a few signs with our job titles would make the point. I think that would have helped reporters pick people out for interviews.

I think that Aman learnt that he needed at least 2 personal assistants on the day.

tcsonly
09-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Hi,

I was one of the marshalls, reached Los Angeles like an hour ago. The rally was a huge success, but not upto the expectations from the locals. There is no doubt there is more participation from CA members in both days 17, & 18th and I am not sure what stopped locals attending the rally when they have excellent commuting options to the monument and the capitol area unlike the west coast where we're forced to drive.

I am sure that the local chapter leaders such as Arun, Sukhvinder, Sivakanth, & others put a lot of time, effort, & money into getting the permits from different authorities, display matertials prepared and delivered on time, and other logistics.
At the same time, having 6 weeks time for the rally, I think the local chapters in DC, VA, MD, & DE should have taken a bigger initiative in conducting chapter meetings to improve the participation, and volunteer efforts in receiving people from the airports and/or providing accommodations.

I spoke to one person from CA who came with all the checks written with the names & amounts in advance, and handing them over to the members who were sponsered for the rally.

Thanks to all who made the rally a big success.

I do support in changing the organization name to "Legal Immigration Voice" immediately.

I will be writing more in the morning,
Chandra.

Munna Bhai
09-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Thank you IV and all volunteers that made this rally happen. It was very well organized and I really enjoyed being part of it!!
I really liked Murthy's speech. Short and to the point. "Legal" is the key.
I also liked Mark's little comedy act.

(Wish more would have shown up to show their support, but I guess some people are content waiting 10 or more years for their GC.)

Suggestions for improvement to next time:

1. I liked that the Chinese group joined the rally, but I didn't like their speaker. He was only talking about Chinese and Indian joining forces, and then making some kind of joke about IC chips are only made by Indians and Chinese. It's ok if you want to be an Indian/Chinese-only group, it is your choice. But if you want to change something about your green cards, you will fail with that attitude. You need to attract and change things for EVERYONE, or no one will listen to you. (If you want IV to be for everyone, IV needs to be more clear on that. There are so many Indians on the forums that ppl might think it is only for Indians.)

2. Minor things... Good job on the signs(!), but there were too many of them. Half would be enough. People had trouble focus on them.
Also, keep the message short. Max a few words. No one can, in a few seconds, read a moving sign containing 4 lines of text with 5 words on each, on an unknown subject. The poor people who tried to read them looked like near-sighted old men. Short and big letters is better. "Shorter wait for legals"
rather than
"Reduce the backlog for highly-skilled legal immigrants so we can live the American dream and not wait for 10 years"

But all in all, I was amazed how well everything was planned. The state flags was a nice touch. Flowers too. Water for the participants. Great! Even the nice DC cops blocking the roads for us seemed very happy with us. Following the law is what legals do...

This is correct!! I think, too many banners will distract..great feedback

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 07:29 AM
The reason there were so many placards was - we were expecting atleast 10000 people to show up and with the kind of poor response we got, we were expecting atleast 5000 and thats why there was 700 banners ordered.

If we had the magic figure 10000, the impact could have been marvellous. The banner count would have been appropriate

With 1500 to 2000 - every individual had a banner or a placard or a flag.

Mark's speech was hillarious - but had very strong messages - THESE ARE THINGS THAT NEED SPECIAL SKILLS - AND MARK PULLED IT THROUGH EXTREMELY WELL. Mark is a pround member of the Tri State Chapter and his contributions towards the cause are amazing

Robert Sun (LIA) - was good. Well he was praising Indians and CHinese. Nothing wrong - but yes can be more comprehensive in nature.

We had people from all nationalities - and a lot of people seem to be silent supporters of IV - very passionate about this organization.

Jay was at his best - He took on Lou Dobbs - Which was the best part.

The only lesson I would say that we must learn is - low numbers - YES. The turnout should have been atleast 10000 - though 2000 is good. Just proves how selfish those free riders are who can let down your own community who are helping you.

nrupendra
09-19-2007, 07:31 AM
The rally was great, but disappointed on three fronts,

1) Very few turned up from DC,MD,VA.

2) The congress men thinks that we are illegal immigrants, as he is constantly mentioned illegal Irish immigrants.

3) Robert mentioned that as if its an India-China immigration forum, I think thats going to do more bad for us then good. I think everybody agrees that there is lot of bad news about India and China, and Americans loosing jobs due to off shoring. Apart from that we have persons in same boat from other countries too, though I was surprised to see them.

As mentioned by others we need to change the org name to legalimmigrationvoice.org immidiately.

Thanks

Nrupendra

swede
09-19-2007, 09:49 AM
All speeches and performances were great. I did not intend to leave anyone out. The song that was written for the occasion(!) was cool. Jay's speech was powerful. And everything else. It was all great. People who were not there really missed something. As someone said, "America is about fighting for your rights." and I was glad to see that so many decided to do that yesterday!

srikondoji
09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Forget about what the congressmen, congresswomen, staff members thought about legal immigration. After 4 successful meetings and one of them went way ahead of 30 minute meeting to 50 minutes, we made them understand the difference between legal and illegal immigration. They have given us the hope that something will come up in the defence bill and they are discussing this RIGHT NOW. They did mention this as a HOT BUTTON issue but most likely touch upon least controvercial issues. Also there are plans of breaking up CIR bill into several bills and get them passed.

Overall it was a wonderful experience and it was worth attending and taking that walk with placards.

I felt i was on vacation.:D

sreeraghu
09-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Good Luck

Legal Immigrants Rally

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...76080420003555

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20059427058009

http://picasaweb.google.com/raghumoh...lyWashingtonDC

Happy viewing, Foward to your friends n family

--
Regards,
Raghu

RNGC
09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I have registered this domain. If needed, please send me PM; I can initiate the transfer process. I have already added a forwarding address to the immigrationvoice.com.

Excellent....Our Logo should also change to "Legal Immigration voice"...

Smart thinking memyselfandus!

ItIsNotFunny
09-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Legal Immigrants Rally

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...76080420003555

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...20059427058009

http://picasaweb.google.com/raghumoh...lyWashingtonDC

Happy viewing, Foward to your friends n family

--
Regards,
Raghu

I wish atleast one of the links could work.

sonaliak
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Legal Immigrants Voice is a good suggestions, place card was very heavy in future try to make place less heavy :)
It is first time around 1000 people gathered for their rights, it was awesome view, and you are demanding your rights in front of number one democratic institution in the world. For movement I can feel what participants might have felt when Martin Luther King gave "Iíve dream" speech on the same ground long time back.

It is not only mathematics of the number or support, It felt good for me, my wife and others, with the help of Immigration Voice, I was a part of movement which is democratic, legal, peaceful and required.

rbalaji5
09-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Silicon Valley - The best place for these kind of effort..:)

sen_raju
09-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Yes, I agree we should change the name to LegalImmigrationVoice. I feel a gr8 sense achievement and satisfaction that I was a part of the rally and was carrying Florida's flag.
Yes we need to put the word LEGAL everywhere. Even at the airport and in the flight after looking at our T-shirts people were asking what we were demanding. It was not clear to them whether we are legal or illegal and so we had to explain them.
Also we should not narrow it down to India and China only....May be in future it will be a good idea to check with the speakers what they are going to talk about.
Overall it was a gr8 effort and hope we will have more turnout in the future.

laborchic
09-19-2007, 11:47 AM
The reason there were so many placards was - we were expecting atleast 10000 people to show up and with the kind of poor response we got, we were expecting atleast 5000 and thats why there was 700 banners ordered.

If we had the magic figure 10000, the impact could have been marvellous. The banner count would have been appropriate

With 1500 to 2000 - every individual had a banner or a placard or a flag.

Mark's speech was hillarious - but had very strong messages - THESE ARE THINGS THAT NEED SPECIAL SKILLS - AND MARK PULLED IT THROUGH EXTREMELY WELL. Mark is a pround member of the Tri State Chapter and his contributions towards the cause are amazing

Robert Sun (LIA) - was good. Well he was praising Indians and CHinese. Nothing wrong - but yes can be more comprehensive in nature.

We had people from all nationalities - and a lot of people seem to be silent supporters of IV - very passionate about this organization.

Jay was at his best - He took on Lou Dobbs - Which was the best part.

The only lesson I would say that we must learn is - low numbers - YES. The turnout should have been atleast 10000 - though 2000 is good. Just proves how selfish those free riders are who can let down your own community who are helping you.

I was part of the rally... I am proud of IV and everyone who attended it..WHAT tri-state chapter are you talking about ?? How many people are enrolled in it and how many showed up for the rally???

laborchic
09-19-2007, 11:51 AM
We should change our name to Legal Immigration Voice..

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 11:52 AM
I was part of the rally... I am proud of IV and everyone who attended it..WHAT tri-state chapter are you talking about ?? How many people are enrolled in it and how many showed up for the rally???

We have a yahoogroups - I am not sure how many attended from that but it has been passive with only few members posting always - I was constantly posting on that urging people to join the rally.

Around 80 people are signed in, you can sign in by visiting http://iv-tristate.blogspot.com/

BharatPremi
09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
One legal aide explained me how ignorant most of the lawmakers are when it comes to legal vs illegal immigrants.

I highly doubt the very essence of this statement. At the end of day they are "Law makers" and I am not ready to believe that they can not distiguish between legal and illegal immigration. It would be possible that they may be pretending the ignorance. Potter love to have a donkey which do the work without eating grass. Till now donkeys (Us) were working for those potters(lawmakers, Employers) without asking for grass with the hope that someday we will have very nourishing grass. Now donkeys (Us) have realized that there is no nourished food in near future so we have organized ourselves. In turn these potters will take time to devise the ways so as not to provide enough nourshied food to all these donkeys and till then to keep you going on they will pat our backs. This is basic politics... Yes, I do have lot of faith in "Us" but if we make our strategies with keeping faith in these "Potters" then I have high doubts about our success.

glus
09-19-2007, 12:02 PM
This must be done. Also, we could include flags of all the member nationalities, to show this website is an international one. So if we have members from 20 different countries, this should be clearly shown. Guys, the problem is not only for indians, it is also for the others like me.

G

BharatPremi
09-19-2007, 12:03 PM
we made them understand the difference between legal and illegal immigration.

Are you kidding or Are you seriously quoting this? Do you understand that very people you "made understood" are part of law making process? How can you say that they do not have understanding of "legal" and "illegal" immigration. Man, they are making the laws.

GCchakravyuh
09-19-2007, 12:13 PM

Good Luck

yes this is what has been worrying me, ever since i became member of this esteemed organization. With the illegal immigrants also fighting in the same era, I fear IV is not misunderstood & hence misjudged. Lets really really change the name to LEGAL IMMIGRATION VOICE. That way these desperate, justified efforts will get more coverage. Hope it makes sense to the managers of the IV

nixstor
09-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I was one of the marshalls, reached Los Angeles like an hour ago. The rally was a huge success, but not upto the expectations from the locals. There is no doubt there is more participation from CA members in both days 17, & 18th and I am not sure what stopped locals attending the rally when they have excellent commuting options to the monument and the capitol area unlike the west coast where we're forced to drive.

I am sure that the local chapter leaders such as Arun, Sukhvinder, Sivakanth, & others put a lot of time, effort, & money into getting the permits from different authorities, display matertials prepared and delivered on time, and other logistics.
At the same time, having 6 weeks time for the rally, I think the local chapters in DC, VA, MD, & DE should have taken a bigger initiative in conducting chapter meetings to improve the participation, and volunteer efforts in receiving people from the airports and/or providing accommodations.

I spoke to one person from CA who came with all the checks written with the names & amounts in advance, and handing them over to the respective members who sponsered others for the rally.

Thanks to all who made the rally a big success.

I do support in changing the organization name to "Legal Immigration Voice" immediately.

I will be writing more in the morning,
Chandra.

What ever stopped the people in MA/NY/NJ to board the buses stopped the people in DC/VA/MD to get on to the Metro train and come to the rally. Its not the distance, as it may seem to you and me, But Its the lack of will, lack of commitment.

If people think about San Jose rally and think it was a huge success, people showed up in 2 days yada yada.., there is a diff reason. Does it even need to be mentioned?

All that I can tell you guys is we did more than our best to get the locals to get to the rally. We can only call/email them or give flyers and let them notify. The final 6 days, our active members had stood out at every place they could and distributed flyers to 3000-3500 people. All the six weeks they have been doing spreading the word.

I hope your message was just expressing disappointment by the turn out an was not actually questioning the commitment of the people who worked on this.

gjoe
09-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Good work everybody , you guys have made this rally a great success.

I brought up this issue of standing out a legal immigrants in one of my posts, but most of them in the forum said they wanted to wear the IV T-Shirt.
I can help with things to do with psychology or mass communication, please feel free to contact me through PM if you need my services. I am not a trained professional but it is my hobby since a long time.

QUOTE=gjoe;157591]I would agree with idea of dressing professionally. We need not carry laptops and stuff like that but a neat formal dress would send out a clearer and bolder message about skilled immigrants.
We are a small crowd ( legal immigrants) we have to differentiate ourselves, the least we can do is dress formally. Formal dressd, organized and well behaved crowd will garner lot of attention (the right kind) and serve the purpose (of the rally).

Thanks,

PS: All this advice is based on my knowledge about human mind and social psychology.[/QUOTE]

Good Luck

espoir
09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I was just checking the domain name availability. legalimmigrationvoice.com and .org got taken yesterday. Hopefully its the core or someone supporting member of IV.

akhilmahajan
09-19-2007, 12:27 PM
What ever stopped the people in MA/NY/NJ to board the buses stopped the people in DC/VA/MD to get on to the Metro train and come to the rally. Its not the distance, as it may seem to you and me, But Its the lack of will, lack of commitment.

If people think about San Jose rally and think it was a huge success, people showed up in 2 days yada yada.., there is a diff reason. Does it even need to be mentioned?

All that I can tell you guys is we did more than our best to get the locals to get to the rally. We can only call/email them or give flyers and let them notify. The final 6 days, our active members had stood out at every place they could and distributed flyers to 3000-3500 people. All the six weeks they have been doing spreading the word.

I hope your message was just expressing disappointment by the turn out an was not actually questioning the commitment of the people who worked on this.

No body please question the commitment.
About the reason only GOD knows.

Buses were arranged from MA to DC, Tri-state to DC.
Buses were fully funded by IV. We just requested ppl to hop on and fight for their own cause.

Ppl were given every single thing to their doorsteps. We made phone calls, ran email campaigns asking and requesting ppl to share thei questions/concerns. What we did, we did it to our best. Rest is up to the ppl how much badly a change they need.

So, i hope ur post was to show ur disppointment with the ppl who did not show up, but not to challenge the commitments of any of the volunteers.

GO IV GO

snegrust
09-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Congratulations to all of us for having marched yesterday, I was extremely impressed with the level of organization. Salut to everyone who made it possible.
However, I have a whole bunch of points, sorry if they come out strong....

1) I absolutely agree with the 'Legal' Immigration issue, we did look as if we were immigrants and not defined as legal, I think high-skilled is secondary to the legality... This is one of the reasons I have not purchased merchandise, as it looks like it addresses immigration as such. I think banner by Chinese group exphasizing the legal aspect looked very impressive..

2) It was obvious from speeches on Monday night and yesterday (friendship between US and India comments, etc) that this is seen as an Indian issue. Unless you are trying to show it as such, something has to be done about it. Non-indians were marching with you as well, and next time effort should be made to put together Indian, Chinese and whoever else when putting pictures, RollCall for example, or talking to the press, or talking to representatives. I have expressed my desire and submitted all information to the person in charge of organizing meetings on Capitol Hill, but was not provided with this oppportunity..
Basically, it was clear that, as of now, even many representatives see the issue as Indians versus Mexicans... Not a good idea....

3) I thought that some of the signs were extremely offensive to the Americans "We brought you yahoo/hotmail/google" and as such... if I were an American contemplating about my views on the immigration, and if I were as patriotic as many Americans are, I would be upset with the messages putting down local brains...

4) It was a very impressive effort by Chinese group, thumbs up. Although very strange that so ew of them showed up. My CHinese colleague who alreday has GC and helped distribute info to his friends, told me that all 5 Chinese papers in the area had big announcements about the Rally

5) I agree with disappointment about local people, it seemed like there were many more members from CA, NY and other places than VA/MD/DC, we should all be wokring on raising awareness.

All for now
Agains, congrats to all of us

Windy
09-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I was there in the rally with few other friends. Some friends have already got their greencards. Still, they were there to support the good cause.

Whenever I meet people in this area (especially Indians), they complain of not being able to switch jobs and the delay in green card and so on. There are thousands of greencards seekers in VA and MD area. I didn't see any of these folks who complained. They probably thought that someone else is anyway going to fight it out and they can sit back and enjoy the results without making any effort. It was a shameful thing that they did. Had these folks from VA and MD joined, there would have been over 10,000 participants.

Still, the rally was a huge success and wants to thank IV for making this happen.

kapil_jn
09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I am not sure what stopped members from local areas(VA/MD) from coming to the rally.

There were 10 people from Tampa, Florida(about 1000 miles from DC). Tampa is a small city in Florida and there aren't that many tech workers. I am thankful to each one who was able to make it to the Rally.

I was there in rally with my wife and eight month old baby. It was a vast change of weather for the baby who has been in FL ever since birth.

When485
09-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I think its a wonderful and meaningful suggestion. we need to stress on the "LEGAL".

I get pricked when I read about contribution, bec I have not done so far as a single bread winner, I am struggling to pay the tuition fee of my Son who is in University. we are not able to get any loan or financial funding so far.. I will definitely contribute atleast a token amount in the immediate future

Thanks for the understanding

gceverywhere
09-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Thank you. I believe that we should register legalimmigrationvoice.org (and not .com) as we are a non-profit organization.

Can you please get that registered as well?

GreenSeaTurtle
09-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I have to thank the organizers for making this happen it takes a lot of work. I joined late but felt very happy to be a part of it. This is just the beginning.

Some observations
-------------------
Our numbers should have be in 100 thousands not 1000s. I felt bad that more people did not show up. Everytime we all met each other we never fail to talk about the GC process and where we are and how frustrating the whole process is? If this affects us so much why not do something about it when you have an opportunity...Do you want to suffer in silence or break free?

Immigration voice should be popularized more. People know of Murthy.com etc. but I think not many people are aware of this site so we have to popularize it more by telling friends, family etc.

The rally could have done with more publicity to attract people especially i don't see why people in the Tri-State area who are so close did not show up in large numbers. Hats off to folks from California, NY and orther places who travelled especially for this event.

The next time there is any rally I will personally motivate and bring people this is the least I can do.

GSB
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
The rally was very well organized and I am glad that I flew down from CA to attend. On the flight back I was watching Lou Dobbs on CNN and they used a clipping from our rally and did a whole piece on illegal immigration without even mentioning the rally!! That is so typical of the media.

walking_dude
09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
On the flight back I was watching LIES Dobbs on Communist Nativist Network...

Corrected.

On the flight back I was watching Lou Dobbs on CNN and they used a clipping from our rally and did a whole piece on illegal immigration without even mentioning the rally!! That is so typical of the media.

laborchic
09-19-2007, 02:12 PM

Good Luck

RNGC: I just realised this morning that it was you with whom I was discussing all these issues last morning. Great going Sir.... I totally agree with you..

RNGC
09-19-2007, 02:37 PM
I am in a IDEA mood today!

In our website there is space for 5-6 lines where we have the picture of a cloud now...

We should pick top 10 best slogans and display it there.....like each slogan should appear for 10 seconds and change it to next.....

We should put a poll to select the top 10 slogans

I personally like these ones....forgot the exact words..

1."we keep your systems up and running...please help us keep our lives up and running...

2. "we rollover cell phone minutes...why not visa numbers"

3. "waiting for so long my hair is turning grey ....

4. "GC delay....keeps doctors away"

jaocanada
09-19-2007, 04:40 PM

MeMyselfandUs: Thank you very much for registering the domain and adding the forwarding link.

ps57002
09-19-2007, 04:44 PM
For next rally...slogan

Legal vs Illegal Immigration
Do YOU know the difference?

or

Legal vs. Illegal Immigration
Know the difference...

This is to prompt people's curiosity that there is a difference in the two and to have them educate themselves. Otherwise as said, all "immigration" to most people means "illegal immigration".

RNGC
09-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I checked LIV.org, this domain name is available for sale....we need to see if we can get this.....

ps57002
09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I checked LIV.org, this domain name is available for sale....we need to see if we can get this.....

I like it cause it sounds like "Live life"...and we want to live as well and not be stuck in limbo of this process for GC.

tomatocup
09-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Million thanks to IV's superior organization. I am glad that my friends and I attended this event. It's just a little sad to see the local news channels reported the small protests by illegal immigrants in the Prince William County in MD but not our well-organized rally. Many people passing by us still think we are undocumented. I fully support the ideas from other members that we should highlight "LEGAL" everywhere.

RNGC
09-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Million thanks to IV's superior organization. I am glad that my friends and I attended this event. It's just a little sad to see the local news channels reported the small protests by illegal immigrants in the Prince William County in MD but not our well-organized rally. Many people passing by us still think we are undocumented. I fully support the ideas from other members that we should highlight "LEGAL" everywhere.

I am suprised too!!! I just saw couple news agencies covering this rally....IV organisers did a great job in pulling this one....

but I am just curious to know why there was very little TV coverage for this event.....

gjoe
09-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I would not agree with the slogans you have proposed. It is important to bring out the same message in a subtle manner. We should not forget that we are trying to get the lawmakers fix the system so it benefits us. But at the same time we should not unknownly take on some one else (Illegal Immigrants).

For next rally...slogan

Legal vs Illegal Immigration
Do YOU know the difference?

or

Legal vs. Illegal Immigration
Know the difference...

This is to prompt people's curiosity that there is a difference in the two and to have them educate themselves. Otherwise as said, all "immigration" to most people means "illegal immigration".

wonderlust
09-19-2007, 11:00 PM
I TOTOALLY AGREE. WE NEED TO HIGHLIGHT THAT WE ARE LEGAL. WE DON'T BASH ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, BUT WE CAN EMPHASIZE OUR OWN LEGALITY!!

I like LIV.ORG. Live and let live!!

Wonderlust

ps57002
09-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I didn't mean it in a "against illegal immgration" way. That's the downside of trying to communicate using words online, you can't tell the what other person is really saying at times. What I want (using other slogans if necessary) is to educate people that there is a difference in immigration. As soon as people hear the word immigration, to them it means "illegal" and there has to be some way (using appropriate slogans) to communicate that....that's all :)

franklin
09-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Whilst in general a name change does sound like a good idea, we have spent a lot of time and money making sure that Immigration Voice as an organization is known.

It makes no sense to through that away

sunny1000
09-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Whilst in general a name change does sound like a good idea, we have spent a lot of time and money making sure that Immigration Voice as an organization is known.

Good point...

One thing we can do immediately is to add the words " An organisation of Legal Immigrants" or something to that effect under the globe which says immigration voice on it on the top left corner of the web page. This will immediately make know of our status to those who visit us..Just my 25 cents...;)

ThinkTwice
09-20-2007, 01:09 AM
I agree with sunny1000, We definetly should consider it
We retain the name Immigration Voice but we add a slogan to it

for xample in a news report it would appear some thing like this -

"" IMMIGRATION VOICE- An organisation of Legal Immigrants, was directly responsible for driving the congress to increase the greencard numbers to 300,000, exclude the family members from the quota and reduce the FBI check times to no more than one month, after such huge success and having achieved their ultimate goal IMMIGRATION VOICE - An organisation of Legal Immigrants has decided to fight for world peace.""

Good point...

Just my 25 cents...;)

gsc999
09-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Congratulations to all of us for having marched yesterday, I was extremely impressed with the level of organization. Salut to everyone who made it possible.
However, I have a whole bunch of points, sorry if they come out strong....

1) I absolutely agree with the 'Legal' Immigration issue, we did look as if we were immigrants and not defined as legal, I think high-skilled is secondary to the legality... This is one of the reasons I have not purchased merchandise, as it looks like it addresses immigration as such. I think banner by Chinese group exphasizing the legal aspect looked very impressive..

2) It was obvious from speeches on Monday night and yesterday (friendship between US and India comments, etc) that this is seen as an Indian issue. Unless you are trying to show it as such, something has to be done about it. Non-indians were marching with you as well, and next time effort should be made to put together Indian, Chinese and whoever else when putting pictures, RollCall for example, or talking to the press, or talking to representatives. I have expressed my desire and submitted all information to the person in charge of organizing meetings on Capitol Hill, but was not provided with this oppportunity..
Basically, it was clear that, as of now, even many representatives see the issue as Indians versus Mexicans... Not a good idea....

3) I thought that some of the signs were extremely offensive to the Americans "We brought you yahoo/hotmail/google" and as such... if I were an American contemplating about my views on the immigration, and if I were as patriotic as many Americans are, I would be upset with the messages putting down local brains...

4) It was a very impressive effort by Chinese group, thumbs up. Although very strange that so ew of them showed up. My CHinese colleague who alreday has GC and helped distribute info to his friends, told me that all 5 Chinese papers in the area had big announcements about the Rally

5) I agree with disappointment about local people, it seemed like there were many more members from CA, NY and other places than VA/MD/DC, we should all be wokring on raising awareness.

All for now
Agains, congrats to all of us
----
Good observation.

Here is my response. to point # 1 & #3.

Look, legal immigration is not just restricted to employment based immigration, it includes family based immigration. So if you say you support legal immigration that doesn't differentiate your message, infact, compared to 950K family based annual visas only 140K go to employment based legal immigrants. IV's agenda is employment based immigration. We are very clear about where we stand.

Now point # 3. No Americans are not upset about confronting the reality about Hotmail, Google and other companies that create jobs for Americans. How can they, we are a country of immigrants. These placards were carefully selected and a lot of due diligence went into their selection and all of them had a positive message.

Having said that, if you notice none of the IV members who attended the rally ever congratulated the Indian or English core members. Your post is the first post which thanks individual communities.

I agree with rest of your message and that is why we need more support from members like you to bring diversity to IV. This is not an Indian organization and we never claim it to be. We need your paricipation to prove that point.

memyselfandus
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I have the domain...ready to transfer: if IV core needs it...

I was just checking the domain name availability. legalimmigrationvoice.com and .org got taken yesterday. Hopefully its the core or someone supporting member of IV.

memyselfandus
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
by the time I realised that I should have bought the .org domain; somebody already bought it... I am already forwarding the LegalImmigrationVoice.com clients to immigrationvoice.com

Thank you. I believe that we should register legalimmigrationvoice.org (and not .com) as we are a non-profit organization.

Can you please get that registered as well?

RNGC
09-20-2007, 08:49 PM

I am in no way trying to argue....I understand that "ImmigrationVoice" is now known very well ....by changing it to "LegalImmigrationVoice" we are not doing a whole lot of change, just adding a "Legal" in front.....we should maintain the same logo, so our identity will not change!

Just imagine you have no idea what IV is, you just come across the word "ImmigrationVoice" - how does it sound to you ? For me it sounds like we are just a pro-immigration group......No way it sounds like a Legal Immigration group....

Here in US large companies change names...so its not too late......adding a word "Legal", "Highly skilled" etc will go a long way for our future generations......

Just my $0.02

alterego
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
In addition to family based immigration, legal immigration includes asylum, refugees (with a special category for Iraqi refugees) and may be more!

You forgot the weirdest one..................the diversity green card!:)