PDA

View Full Version : DC RALLY - NEWS Thread

H1bslave
09-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Please post all NEWS articles covering DC rally here

Thanks

franklin
09-18-2007, 09:29 PM
We have finished counting up the people who registered, and there were over 2000 people that attended.

This, of course, doesn't include our great immigration voice friends Greg Siskind and Sheela Murthy. Who both walked with us side by side.

The post rally speeches were filled by CNN, covered by Washington Post and many other news organizations.

Congressmen even gave speeches

Don't spread disinformation, hater!

You quite obviously weren't there

sixpockets
09-18-2007, 09:36 PM
I completely agree with Franklin. Here are some video shots from the rally.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1175350390126898111

mkumar
09-18-2007, 09:39 PM
please repost the link to the video! Great going IV!

ameryki
09-18-2007, 09:39 PM
I completely agree with Franklin. Here are some video shots from the rally.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50390126898111

link not working! or atleast for me its not.

ciber.couger
09-18-2007, 09:40 PM
link is not working

sixpockets
09-18-2007, 09:42 PM
try it now

inskrish
09-18-2007, 09:42 PM
link is not working

Try this: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1175350390126898111

Jaime
09-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I just came back from the rally to Dallas and yes, there were over 2000 people. It was a very successful event and the positive energy was amazing! We come from many different places and are from different disciplines, but we share a common heart. A heart that beats for America, and we will not let that heart stop beating! The only option is victory now! We are well on our way, together!!!!

ArunAntonio
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Jamie,
I was waiting to hear from you... extremely glad that every thing went on well and Three loud cheers to IV !!!!

IV ROCKS!

I just came back from the rally to Dallas and yes, there were over 2000 people. It was a very successful event and the positive energy was amazing! We come from many different places and are from different disciplines, but we share a common heart. A heart that beats for America, and we will not let that heart stop beating! The only option is victory now! We are well on our way, together!!!!

H1bslave
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM
I was there in rally for more than 3 hours and I am sure there were more than 1000 people at least.

Total Disaster.

Very few people attended, not covered much in any news channel except 2 (Business week and roll call are paid ones with volunteers contribution)
Finally it is a Total Diaster rally due to lack of partcipation from members.The members attended is around 400 to 500.

People may start jumping on me, but friends it is the mere fact and reality.
If somebody can not accept reality, it is their issue.

Jaime
09-18-2007, 09:50 PM
I was there in rally for more than 3 hours and I am sure there were more than 1000 people at least.

>2000 people registered at the Washington Monument and then many more joined while we were marching, maybe we peaked at 3000, but it's 2000+ confirmed

she81
09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
I found a bunch of Rally videos on google. Please rate them!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=IV+Rally&num=10&so=1&start=0

Jaime
09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Jamie,
I was waiting to hear from you... extremely glad that every thing went on well and Three loud cheers to IV !!!!

IV ROCKS!

Hey ArunAntonio! Nice to see you! Yes, you wouldn't believe how positive the rally was! Passers-by stopped to compliment us, help and encourage us, cars honked at us in approval. Everyone was so energyzed! Big group, 100+ meetings with congressmen, including Hillary Clinton, children came, we all bonded in one single voice and message. Logiclife and Aman gave awesome speeches, this is just the beginning! Today it was confirmed to me HOW MUCH we can do TOGETHER!!! It's proven and not just words!!! FEW PEOPLE REALIZE HOW STRONG WE ARE TOGETHER AND HOW RESPECTED IV IS, THANKS TO EVERYONE'S EFFORTS!!!

newuser
09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Got back from the rally. Its definitely not 400 to 500. It has be somewhere b/w 1000 to 1500.

gcretroiv - DON'T SPREAD LIES

Total Disaster.

Very few people attended, not covered much in any news channel except 2 (Business week and roll call are paid ones with volunteers contribution)
Finally it is a Total Diaster rally due to lack of partcipation from members.The members attended is around 400 to 500.

Jaime
09-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I looked for you a lot. Couldn't find you!

I saw you from afar when they were introducing you with the bull horn! And everyone was clapping at you. I was standing with 2 placards facing Constitution Avenue, near the traffic lights! We need to meet soon in person!

sam2006
09-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Thank YOU IV for all the Effort

ras
09-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Can some one who has the videos post it to yahoo. here is the link for posting

http://news.yahoo.com/you-witness-news

manoj_2002
09-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Thank you all the people who made it a success. I am one of those people who couldn't take part.

When is the next one?

newuser
09-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Thats the spirit.

Thank you all the people who made it a success. I am one of those people who couldn't take part.

When is the next one?

andy garcia
09-18-2007, 10:05 PM
I looked for you a lot. Couldn't find you!

How could you have missed him?

He was the only non-Indian/non-Chinese in the crowd.:)

leo2606
09-18-2007, 10:07 PM
looks like you also have some signup sheets with you gcretroiv.You silly, stupid and funny gcretroiv don't you know to give those back to valunteers at the end.

OK we have 2000 number from Franklin + 500 from this signup sheets thief a.k.a gcretroiv.

Total Disaster.

Jaime
09-18-2007, 10:08 PM
How could you have missed him?

He was the only non-Indian/non-Chinese in the crowd.:)

Not true, but by the way, here's a humorous anecdote, some people told me they had thought I was a woman, haha (from the name)....wait, you guys know I'm a guy, right???? :)

Jaime
09-18-2007, 10:11 PM
You also missed the reception on Monday evening. It was easy to find persons there.

It was very good. Three lawmakers addressed the reception and the food was great.

But I couldn't get away from a business meeting in Dallas on Monday, as I had aleady cancelled some important business on Tuesday so I could be at the rally. My plane got into DCA at 1:30 am this morning!

The food part sounds great (I haven't eaten today because I have been so excited about the rally's success), but especially what great success with the lawmakers!!!

ciber.couger
09-18-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't know what it is, but I had this great feeling while I was on the Rally, a feeling of pride, courage, union. I really enjoyed being in the rally, seeing all other members, families, and little kids. It just made me feel I belong somewhere.
I had to mention this again, I know there is at least 10 people in my organization who promised to come to the Rally, I was looking all over for you guys, Then I found out none of you showed up after I called you at your offices! That really made feel bad, you all work in Virginia less than 30 minutes from DC. You should be a shame of your selves. A lot of people came from all over the country with their families and little kids. I just need to understand why?
We all in the same situation here, I am not going to speak to you again. sorry

andy garcia
09-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Not true, but by the way, here's a humorous anecdote, some people told me they had thought I was a woman, haha (from the name)....wait, you guys know I'm a guy, right???? :)

Sometimes they call you Jamie instead of Jaime.

Jaime is a very macho name in Spanish.:)

Jaime
09-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Sometimes they call you Jamie instead of Jaime.

Jaime is a very macho name in Spanish.:)

Whatever helps IV!!!

FinallyCurrent
09-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Jaime is right , many joined after the rally started. I am one of those that joined later. We were atleast 5 people who came in together and I saw many more after us. And we joined AFTER the rally reached capitol. My only peeve was that many people were leaving even before the congressman began talking. People came there for the rally and then the leave as the meeting is going on --made no sense to me.

Anyway, the only reason we were late in joining was because we could not live with the fact that there were people flying in for the rally and we who were in Metro DC were not going. Thank you all for inspiring us to be there. It felt great do something for ourself.

485_se_dukhi
09-18-2007, 10:45 PM
My husband and I attended the rally today with our 11 month old. It was extremely well organized. Kudos to the core team and everybody else who worked on this tirelessly.

It was a GREAT experience and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. There was a good turnout...I would say 2000-3000+ people...but I didn't count exactly...all I can say with authority is that there was a huge line in front of us and a seemingly unending line behind us..

All the people I met were so committed to our cause and it was refreshing talking to them and exchanging views with them.

We heard Aman, Jay, Mark, Dr Gupta etc speak. All of them were VERY good speakers and could move the crowd.

There were lots of media people present so sooner or later more reports are going to come in I suppose.

We also got the chance to meet the Deputy to the Congresswoman of our district. We talked to him about the GC situation for nearly 30 mins. Btw, he mentioned that this was the FIRST time he was meeting people related to **legal** immigration and that he had met several delegations in the recent past who were representing the interests of the "other" form of immigration.

So, I think the fact that all of us were able to get in front of our representatives and were able to personally tell them our stories (and to bring out the distinction between legal and illegal immigration) is itself worth the trip to DC.

smisachu
09-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Not to forget "Lunck Brake" Rallyists. A huge bunck approximately of 100-200came out of Various Federal offices and marched with us. They did not register as these guys came out during lunch time and went back after their break....

We have finished counting up the people who registered, and there were over 2000 people that attended.

This, of course, doesn't include our great immigration voice friends Greg Siskind and Sheela Murthy. Who both walked with us side by side.

The post rally speeches were filled by CNN, covered by Washington Post and many other news organizations.

Congressmen even gave speeches

Don't spread disinformation, hater!

You quite obviously weren't there

TomPlate
09-18-2007, 10:57 PM
The below post I think should be done by an anti immigrant. Anyway
god bless you. I was not there in the rally but I am sure IV have done a great job. Within a months timeframe we should see good happening to employee based immigrant community.

Total Disaster.

mybid2003
09-18-2007, 11:48 PM
link not working! or atleast for me its not.

You need to have Google Video or Google Pack downloaded & installed for Google Videos to watch.

ps57002
09-19-2007, 12:34 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/us/19immigration.html

vdlrao
09-19-2007, 01:00 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/news/green-highly-skilled-1847985-immigration-voice

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20070025734&ch=9/11/2007%205:05:00%20PM

paskal
09-19-2007, 01:48 AM
it's very hard to estimate numbers in a crowd like this, personally i find it impossible and you will see that in the wildly varying press reports too.
however registrations clearly show that attendees crossed 2000.
we were walking in a narrow strip with just 3 people in a line to avoid disturbing traffic, so people may misinterpret that in pictures. however the line snaked forever...that i can tell you from being there as i started at the end of the line and tried to make my way to the front. also a lot of people did start leaving before the speech from the congressman and that will also cause wild variations in estimated numbers- these included a lot of locals that returned to work once the march itself was over. we are told by DC volunteers that world bank employees were present and others noted federal workers on their lunch breaks.
the response from passer byes was generally great, we encountered no heckling or protests. the last 4 days have seen a huge effort from many dedicated volunteers and the credit for this goes to them...as to those that came to walk! few organizations can organize and complete about 150 lawmaker meetings, including many with key senior legislators offices.
those who want to spend time discussing and debating numbers or diversity of attendees are as always free to do so. the undeniable fact remains that iv is today a dominant force in the fight for legal immigration reform and this is now recognized by all parties concerned, whether it be USCIS, legislators, immigration attorneys or the media. we have grown and matured as an organization and the way now is forward...

the last 4 days were the experience of a lifetime for me. more on that soon, but for now suffice to say that i'm proud to be a part of iv and to have raised my voice for fairness.

gcnirvana
09-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Great to hear the rally was a success. I was closely following the blogs and other news about the rally today. Made me feel like I was there in DC with my fellow IV friends. I personally feel its a shame that I couldn't go. Whatever it is, there is no excuse for not being there....period.

Well, I congratulate IV Core Team and our members who made this a great success. I am really proud of you all.

Finally, here is the message from Murthy, applauding the efforts....

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_ivsuccess.html

wolfpok
09-19-2007, 02:18 AM
paskal et al.

GREAT JOB all around! Hats off to the coordinators! Your planning and execution were awesome!

as for participants...we seemed like rally veterans rather than the true neophytes we were.

hope the 150+ meetings will get us a toe hold in congressional offices that had never heard of retrogression before! :)

pok from nc.

ps: back to lurking now.

vineet
09-19-2007, 02:53 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/us/19immigration.html?ref=us

Kudos to everyone for making the rally a great success.

vineet
09-19-2007, 02:57 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/5139796.html

http://www.ocregister.com/news/green-highly-skilled-1847985-immigration-voice:)

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Immigration reform still an urgent need (http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_6935023?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com&nclick_check=1) By L.A. Chung (lchung@mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5280) | Mercury News Columnist, 09/19/2007

It needs subscription - please post the message - my good friend :)

amitga
09-19-2007, 08:24 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/18/AR2007091801944.html

chanduv23
09-19-2007, 08:39 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/18/AR2007091801944.html

Neat one - this is cool.

485_se_dukhi
09-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Chung: Immigration reform still an urgent need
By L.A. Chung
Mercury News Columnist
Article Launched: 09/19/2007 01:37:40 AM PDT

Maybe it was just another demonstration in our nation's capital Tuesday.

High-skilled workers from around the country, including San Jose, met at the Washington Monument for the time-honored American ritual of marching to the front of the Capitol to press their cause. In this case: reforming employment-based immigration laws.

Let's hope it's the beginning of something more: progress in one little corner of our screwed-up immigration system. After the debacle of the big immigration reform bill this summer, Sen. Dianne Feinstein had suggested that the only way to fix any of it was to start piecemeal. Indeed, several independent measures are afoot, aimed at relieving specific areas, from high-skilled workers to guest workers to students. There's no talk of addressing the status of undocumented immigrants, the thing that killed the big bill last June.

So if there are places we can start solving problems before Congress freezes up in presidential election politics, why not?

"We are hoping for a clear action, rather than being left hanging in this state," said Rahul Deshpande, a 31-year-old software engineer who came here on an H-1B visa eight years ago.

Right now, people like Deshpande aren't looking for comprehensive reform. They're just hoping for a more predictable timeline for people already well into the application process but stuck in the long, uncertain state of waiting for green cards that are available but expire because of backlogs
Advertisement
in the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services agency. With so much uncertainty, he has explored opportunities in Australia.

Seeing a clear way?

True, in Silicon Valley, and throughout the tech industry, we have ambivalence toward employment-based visas. High tech employers in particular say there is a shortage and they cannot do without them. American software engineers, some of whom have had to train foreign replacement programmers, contend the system has been abused, lowering wages and importing some workers who are less uniquely skilled than advertised.

I sat in the hillside living room of an American software engineer who has seen the ups and downs of the industry over the course of two decades. He didn't want to be identified because he wants to continue to be employed and fears speaking candidly, lest employers take umbrage.

Programmers' wages, which had been stagnant, rose inordinately high with the run-up to preparing computers for the Y2K change. With the advent of aggressive overseas hiring, wages "corrected," he acknowledged. And now they've gone down.

Investing in "us"

He doesn't fault the overseas workers in this era of globalization. Yet, he has discouraged his very bright nephew from going into computer science because of his own bleak outlook for earning potential in the field.

I doubt we want that, either.

Groups like Immigration Voice, which began almost two years ago, and Legal Immigrant Association, which sprang up in recent months, have taken pains to emphasize their members' legal status and to appeal to Americans' sense of fairness.

Fix the abuses, and fix the backlogs that make a mockery of the current laws, they say.

Deshpande's 6-month-old daughter is the reason he hopes for a long-term future in the United States. He likes the broader sense of community expressed, for example, by things we take for granted, such as a beach cleanup or a neighborhood watch. "Everyone feels responsible here," he said. "Ultimately, we take responsibility for our own environment here."

A shared sense of community: That's the way we'd all like to live.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Contact L.A. Chung at lchung@mercurynews.com or (408) 920-5280.

vamsi_poondla
09-19-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.greatandhra.com/ganews/viewnews.php?id=2800&cat=10&scat=25

Windy
09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
I don't know what it is, but I had this great feeling while I was on the Rally, a feeling of pride, courage, union. I really enjoyed being in the rally, seeing all other members, families, and little kids. It just made me feel I belong somewhere.
I had to mention this again, I know there is at least 10 people in my organization who promised to come to the Rally, I was looking all over for you guys, Then I found out none of you showed up after I called you at your offices! That really made feel bad, you all work in Virginia less than 30 minutes from DC. You should be a shame of your selves. A lot of people came from all over the country with their families and little kids. I just need to understand why?
We all in the same situation here, I am not going to speak to you again. sorry

I completely agree with you. I felt so proud to be in the rally. I am not even a green card seeker. I came with a bunch of people who already got their greencards. We all came to support the good cause. It was very nice to see how successful the rally was. I didn't expect this many people to take part.

Hats off to IV.

As mentioned, I know a lot of people in DC,VA and MD area, who are stuck in their green card process. None of them showed up. It is so shameful for them to not show and have someone else speak for these folks.

Meenal
09-19-2007, 09:48 AM
People were leaving because they had meetings with the law makers, we had scheduled meeting with the law makers all day long(it was a 3 day event).
:)
Meenal

Jaime is right , many joined after the rally started. I am one of those that joined later. We were atleast 5 people who came in together and I saw many more after us. And we joined AFTER the rally reached capitol. My only peeve was that many people were leaving even before the congressman began talking. People came there for the rally and then the leave as the meeting is going on --made no sense to me.

Anyway, the only reason we were late in joining was because we could not live with the fact that there were people flying in for the rally and we who were in Metro DC were not going. Thank you all for inspiring us to be there. It felt great do something for ourself.

Meenal
09-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Thank you Paskal for getting me into this. I am so proud to be a part of IV family.
Folks - This guy has it all - enthusiasm, leadership skills, brains and above all -a sense of humor that kept us going. When people got stressed out in the situation room, It was he who would make us all laugh :)

it's very hard to estimate numbers in a crowd like this, personally i find it impossible and you will see that in the wildly varying press reports too.
however registrations clearly show that attendees crossed 2000.
we were walking in a narrow strip with just 3 people in a line to avoid disturbing traffic, so people may misinterpret that in pictures. however the line snaked forever...that i can tell you from being there as i started at the end of the line and tried to make my way to the front. also a lot of people did start leaving before the speech from the congressman and that will also cause wild variations in estimated numbers- these included a lot of locals that returned to work once the march itself was over. we are told by DC volunteers that world bank employees were present and others noted federal workers on their lunch breaks.
the response from passer byes was generally great, we encountered no heckling or protests. the last 4 days have seen a huge effort from many dedicated volunteers and the credit for this goes to them...as to those that came to walk! few organizations can organize and complete about 150 lawmaker meetings, including many with key senior legislators offices.
those who want to spend time discussing and debating numbers or diversity of attendees are as always free to do so. the undeniable fact remains that iv is today a dominant force in the fight for legal immigration reform and this is now recognized by all parties concerned, whether it be USCIS, legislators, immigration attorneys or the media. we have grown and matured as an organization and the way now is forward...

the last 4 days were the experience of a lifetime for me. more on that soon, but for now suffice to say that i'm proud to be a part of iv and to have raised my voice for fairness.

amit1234
09-19-2007, 10:08 AM
http://specials.rediff.com/money/2007/sep/19slide1.htm

H1bslave
09-19-2007, 10:24 AM
nice coverage

http://in.news.yahoo.com/070919/43/6kxzc.html

needhelp!
09-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Thank you Paskal for getting me into this. I am so proud to be a part of IV family.
Folks - This guy has it all - enthusiasm, leadership skills, brains and above all -a sense of humor that kept us going. When people got stressed out in the situation room, It was he who would make us all laugh :)

OH.. so thats who beenwaiting is ;) Love ya!!

vaccine
09-19-2007, 10:49 AM
check this out

shortchanged
09-19-2007, 10:50 AM

If registration was more than 2000, the total should be much more than that.For eg. I registered only my name at the booth, but there were 5 of us actually there-myself, my wife, and 3 boys, 9,5, and 3 years old! Like that there should be more people with their families who were there.We drove from North western Pensylvania to SyracuseNY for our Finger printing on 17th and reached DC by 8 PM. We drove a total of 900 miles just for this rally in our SUV. I am very glad that we were able to participate in this commendable organizational effort in our own humble manner.

mheggade
09-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Me and my colleague convinced 10 of my colleagues and attended the rally , Although I agree DC/VA/MD numbers could have been more than 2000 in itself but some of us did our part.

I completely agree with you. I felt so proud to be in the rally. I am not even a green card seeker. I came with a bunch of people who already got their greencards. We all came to support the good cause. It was very nice to see how successful the rally was. I didn't expect this many people to take part.

Hats off to IV.

As mentioned, I know a lot of people in DC,VA and MD area, who are stuck in their green card process. None of them showed up. It is so shameful for them to not show and have someone else speak for these folks.

Meenal
09-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Half an hour ago. i figured out who "needhelp!" is.
Love you too!:p

OH.. so thats who beenwaiting is ;) Love ya!!

dtekkedil
09-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Hi FinallyCurrent,

A lot of people have meeting with their lawmakers in the afternoon. Myself included. Otherwise, we would have loved to stay back till the end of the rally.

ps57002
09-19-2007, 11:03 AM
http://in.news.yahoo.com/070919/43/6kxzc.html
http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070919/NEWS01/709190383
http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20070918/bs_bw/sep2007db20070917552357
http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14529595

RNGC
09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
If we have not do this, We should send a big Thank you note and flowers to the Top DC Police for helping us.....

I am not asking each IV member do this, but just the rally organisers.

We should do this for help in future rallies.

They were very cool....

Thanks DC Police!

rockstart
09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Both NewYork Times & Washington Post the most influential papers in the country have been supportive in their articles about legal immigration. These papers carry a lot of weight in decision making process and our rally has really put things in right perspective, great job guys

mukuraj
09-19-2007, 11:41 AM
The Home News Tribune.

Published before Rally (yesterday):

SOUTH BRUNSWICK GROUP ORGANIZES EFFORT
"Green-card" rally heads to D.C.
http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007709180380

Published after the Rally (today):

Highly skilled immigrant professionals rally in D.C.
http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007709190383

Nice to see the faces behind the user id's :)
Thanks,
Mukund

paulavijit
09-19-2007, 12:00 PM
DC Rally was covered by Rediff.com. Please see the URL below:

smisachu
09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
This is a good one.

paulavijit
09-19-2007, 12:07 PM
DC Rally Covered by Rediff.com:

akhilmahajan
09-19-2007, 12:10 PM

I was trying to meet you. Really wanted to put a face to the name. I think i missed a great chance to meet such an inspiring individual.

And one thing folks, the number was between 2000-3000. 1000 is ridiculous and please dont spread such rumors.
Thanks a lot.
GO IV GO

H1bslave
09-19-2007, 12:16 PM
nice article but I always thought Compete America is against us (IV).. I may be wrong

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20070918/...20070917552357

sanam9696
09-19-2007, 12:18 PM

mhathi
09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
nice article but I always thought Compete America is against us (IV).. I may be wrong

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20070918/...20070917552357

CompeteAmerica is for us... though they tend to focus on increase in h1b since they are largely finded by tech companies... I think you may be thinking of numbersUSA.

sreeraghu
09-19-2007, 01:12 PM
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news;_ylt=A0WTTkrPTvFGu00AhgbQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBhNj RqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=legal+immigration+rally&c=&x=wrt

saketkapur
09-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi
Here is the link for the BBC article for the rally.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7002296.stm

nandakumar
09-19-2007, 01:43 PM

fromnaija
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Here is a short one from About.com

http://immigration.about.com/b/a/256164.htm

natrajs
09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
We are 2000 + and met more than 150 + law makers, it is a great success.

Kudos to all the people who attended the rally and supported us

vban2007
09-19-2007, 02:31 PM
BBC News

pitha
09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Associated Press (AP) reports are picked up by news organizations from around the world including many US news organizations. Its sad AP did not cover this event

All the people who participated in the rally, good job and thanks

amit1234
09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20070026637&ch=9/19/2007%206:22:00%20PM

jazzy2
09-19-2007, 02:47 PM
thats great.
glad i was part of history in making.
thanks to the core team and all the volunteers.
the rally was wonderful. the weather could not have been better.
i espeically liked the way we passed the flowers to the pedestrians..

Little bit of humor
One of the core team member was waving a flag that looked exactly as the national flag. i went to him and asked...hey which state flag is this?
he looked up for a sec or two and said 'i don't know... i need the national flag to wave....'
and away he went to get the national flag... :) :)

BBC News

Jitamitra
09-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Can someone from IV Core Team send a press release to Associated Press. Below is the detailed info on how you can contact them

http://www.ap.org/pages/contact/contact_pr.html

natrajs
09-19-2007, 03:23 PM

natrajs
09-19-2007, 03:24 PM

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007709190383

virtual55
09-19-2007, 03:31 PM
http://www.andhraheadlines.com/World/BrowseArticle.aspx?ArtID=2704

jaocanada
09-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I truly enjoyed the 2 day activities - I think we did what matters most i.e. meeting the lawmakers.
I am proud to be a part of this history in the making. As Attorney Sheela Murthy has put it on her website, "... In decades to come, this rally will be considered the stepping stone that changed the course of our history in immigration law in the U.S. with increased quotas for legal and skilled immigrants...".

Good to know that NYT, Wahington Post and BBC have covered it. Missing in action are Associated Press and Reuters.

I spoke with NPR during the rally and they said they will be doing a full feature on this instead of a short news item. I will let everybody know about the schedule (it would probably be a couple of weeks since this a full length feature) but it will be certainly in "All Things Considered".

-jaocanada

ps57002
09-19-2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.newkerala.com/oct.php?action=fullnews&id=2501

http://www.hendersonvillenews.com/article/20070919/ZNYT02/709190363/ZNYT02/Legal_Immigrants_Rally_at_Capitol_to_Protest_Backl og

http://www.mercurynews.com/lachung/ci_6935022

jaocanada
09-19-2007, 05:27 PM
According to CNN.com, they are inviting STRIVE Act's sponsor Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Illinois) and one of its fiercest opponents, Rep. Brian Bilbray (R-California). I am pretty sure they will feature their take on yesterday's rally - the reason we need to watch is to understand how they twist IV's message and how we can counter it.

sundarpn
09-19-2007, 09:27 PM
I guess CNN would not bother to talk about this rally.

gsc999
09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Lets not speculate. Ask me, I was with the ten volunteers who registered the rally attendees. There were 1500 for sure. Many people didn't register and many came late. Many American citizen also joined in. I know a few. They were curious and we explained our issue. I was pleasantly surprised then one hour later I saw them walking with us. Actual count may be higher.

Hope this helps

lost_in_migration
09-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Franklin (Tamsen) wrote in one of the post that it was 2000+ as per the count on registration sheets. Are you saying 2500? Plez don't say 1500. That is disappointing me as I'm mentally not prepared to hear below 2000 anymore:(

Lets not speculate. Ask me, I was with the ten volunteers who registered the rally attendees. There were 1500 for sure. Many people didn't register and many came late. Many American citizen also joined in. I know a few. They were curious and we explained our issue. I was pleasantly surprised then one hour later I saw them walking with us. Actual count may be higher.

Hope this helps

eagerr2i
09-19-2007, 10:33 PM
According to CNN.com, they are inviting STRIVE Act's sponsor Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Illinois) and one of its fiercest opponents, Rep. Brian Bilbray (R-California). I am pretty sure they will feature their take on yesterday's rally - the reason we need to watch is to understand how they twist IV's message and how we can counter it.

Nili, myself and others from So california had a very good meeting with Rep Brian Bilbray's office yesterday. He is the head of immigration reform caucus and we had some read good exchange of ideas. I look forward to this debate ans to see what stance they stake.

jaocanada
09-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Nili, myself and others from So california had a very good meeting with Rep Brian Bilbray's office yesterday. He is the head of immigration reform caucus and we had some read good exchange of ideas. I look forward to this debate ans to see what stance they stake.

Good to know that you guys had a good meeting with him.. On CNN tonight he seemed to trash illegal immigrants in particular and wanted to make illegal immigration a felony. But it looks like he has a different view on legal immigration... Needless to say, but please follow up with his staff in coordination with IV Core.
Anyway, as sundarpn predicted earlier there was no mention about yesterday's rally. Anyway, we must keep watching that program as the CNN camera was there throughout our rally and they recorded everything. I bet they will use that footage negatively in the next couple of days.

sunny1000
09-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Good to know that you guys had a good meeting with him.. On CNN tonight he seemed to trash illegal immigrants in particular and wanted to make illegal immigration a felony. But it looks like he has a different view on legal immigration... Needless to say, but please follow up with his staff in coordination with IV Core.
Anyway, as sundarpn predicted earlier there was no mention about yesterday's rally. Anyway, we must keep watching that program as the CNN camera was there throughout our rally and they recorded everything. I bet they will use that footage negatively in the next couple of days.

Isn't this the congressman who won "Duke" cunningham's seat? If so, he won his seat solely based on opposing illegal immigration. So, it is not a big surprise that he is keeping up the rhetoric.

485_se_dukhi
09-20-2007, 12:32 AM
http://newspostindia.com/report-15720

humdesi
09-20-2007, 12:44 AM
http://www.newkerala.com/oct.php?action=fullnews&id=2501

http://www.hendersonvillenews.com/article/20070919/ZNYT02/709190363/ZNYT02/Legal_Immigrants_Rally_at_Capitol_to_Protest_Backl og

http://www.mercurynews.com/lachung/ci_6935022

Read the comments following the last article.

franklin
09-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Thank you Greg! Your support is wonderful.

IMMIGRANTS OF THE DAY: IMMIGRATION VOICE RALLY ATTENDEES

Many, many folks came in from across the country to make the case on behalf of hundreds of thousands of others that skilled immigrants are vital to the American economy and we should have an immigration system that lives up to America's place in the world. Attending a political rally is not an easy choice to make particularly if you are new to a country. But there is nothing more American than expressing your views on public policy to our legislators. As one who loves to be involved in the legislative process, I hope all of the attendees have caught the grassroots activism "bug" and will work in the years to come not just on immigration issues, but all sorts of matters of importance to their communities. America will be better off because of it.

http://blogs.ilw.com/gregsiskind/2007/09/immigrants-of-t.html

H1bslave
09-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I would like to thank IV Core and all members of IV for this great rally. We are in premier media now, looking forward for other big events .. hope east coast will show better support. :D

gdhiren
09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Here is the one from Voice of America for AajTak. Part of it is in Hindi.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1999333595666035699

waitingnwaiting
08-08-2012, 09:36 AM
WOW we had so much news coverage.!
Hope to get double this time in San Jose.