PDA

View Full Version : Wrote an email to the president. Contributed $100 to Immigration voice

hopefullegalimmigrant
04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Hello friends,

I wrote an email to the president today. I felt so good after doing 2 things today. Expressed my anguish to the president of the United States and contributed to Immigration Voice. Buddies lets do something. We have always been low on priority compared to other pressing issues. Well Ok we waited, the economy is turning (well OK we will never see the actual turn at least we have seen retail spending up and some hiring, the stock market is going OK). When will be emerge out of the shadows and demand for a reform to the broken legal system? Cmon friends Get up, contribute, write to the senators, the president, lets DO something. When we are legal, why do we HOLD back. Up and running our new slogan!!!!

$100 contribution confirmation

Transaction ID: 8XG04395739266917
An email with your order summary has been sent to xxx@xxx.com

Here is my email

Hello Mr Obama,

Although I am not a US Citizen yet, I have supported you all along. I think you are really dynamic and a fantastic person.
Mr. Obama, Legal immigration rules in the country are outdated. I am from India, I work at <Where ever in the USA> and design databases.
I filed for legal immigration under the employment immigration category in April 2005.
The dates are still so retrogressed that it will take me a long time to fulfill my dream of obtaining a green card and becoming a US Citizen.
I want to stay here, work here and do something as a Citizen by working for the US Government.
How do I fulfill my dream if the system takes so long to process my application.
I contribute every single day to my organization. I am qualified, hard working, but why does it take so long to legally immigrate to this great country.
Please hear my plea to speed up the immigration process.

AllVNeedGcPc
04-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks for sending the email. Whats the email address that we can use to reach Obama.

ivgclive
04-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Good work, at least you want to show them what you feel.

Address him as "Mr.President" in future and avoid using names most of the time.

hopefullegalimmigrant
04-18-2010, 08:23 PM
You are right! I should have addressed him as Mr. President.

hopefullegalimmigrant
04-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for sending the email. Whats the email address that we can use to reach Obama.

Contact the White House | The White House (http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact)

Lets DO something, Please send email, regular mail or what ever method or means.

bsbawa10
04-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I have sent letter twice. They forward it as it is to USCIS and send a reply back that it has been forwarded to USCIS for action. Then you receive a letter or call from USCIS that your case cannot be considered unless your PD becomes current.

hopefullegalimmigrant
04-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I am really not into my own/ or any one particular case. We need to start reignite an awareness for legal immigration overhaul. Does not matter what one's priority date is.

C'mon guys what ever has happened we need to reignite and restart the immigration torch

What can be done/ What needs to be done.... Lets do it

Can the guru's of the forum please let us know if there is a campaign we can start/restart. SOMETHING needs to be done, right now

willigetgc?
04-19-2010, 09:09 AM
sent the letter.

we need to bring the immigration discussion to the forefront, and seize on the opportunity this election year - democrats have everything to gain from it. Lets do all we can to get bill in the senate!

we can send these letters to the president, Sens. Reid, Schumer and Graham

I am really not into my own/ or any one particular case. We need to start reignite an awareness for legal immigration overhaul. Does not matter what one's priority date is.

C'mon guys what ever has happened we need to reignite and restart the immigration torch

What can be done/ What needs to be done.... Lets do it

Can the guru's of the forum please let us know if there is a campaign we can start/restart. SOMETHING needs to be done, right now

satyasrd
04-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Hopefullegalimmigrant,

I am happy to see your posts and I am in to put all efforts required. There were some talks earlier about having a rally in DC. I think we should do that to get attention.
I have asked this question before but is this something IV can help us with ?

Thanks

TO BE OR NO TO BE
04-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Lets see waht happens....

imh1b
04-19-2010, 10:32 AM
I have sent letter twice. They forward it as it is to USCIS and send a reply back that it has been forwarded to USCIS for action. Then you receive a letter or call from USCIS that your case cannot be considered unless your PD becomes current.

How about you send the USCIS letter back to president again and tell him that this is not what you asked for. You already know PD is not current. The letter was for President to implement a fix A,B and C.

GC9180
04-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Hello friends,

I wrote an email to the president today. I felt so good after doing 2 things today. Expressed my anguish to the president of the United States and contributed to Immigration Voice. Buddies lets do something. We have always been low on priority compared to other pressing issues. Well Ok we waited, the economy is turning (well OK we will never see the actual turn at least we have seen retail spending up and some hiring, the stock market is going OK). When will be emerge out of the shadows and demand for a reform to the broken legal system? Cmon friends Get up, contribute, write to the senators, the president, lets DO something. When we are legal, why do we HOLD back. Up and running our new slogan!!!!

$100 contribution confirmation

Transaction ID: 8XG04395739266917
An email with your order summary has been sent to xxx@xxx.com

Here is my email

Hello Mr Obama,

Although I am not a US Citizen yet, I have supported you all along. I think you are really dynamic and a fantastic person.
Mr. Obama, Legal immigration rules in the country are outdated. I am from India, I work at <Where ever in the USA> and design databases.
I filed for legal immigration under the employment immigration category in April 2005.
The dates are still so retrogressed that it will take me a long time to fulfill my dream of obtaining a green card and becoming a US Citizen.
I want to stay here, work here and do something as a Citizen by working for the US Government.
How do I fulfill my dream if the system takes so long to process my application.
I contribute every single day to my organization. I am qualified, hard working, but why does it take so long to legally immigrate to this great country.
Please hear my plea to speed up the immigration process.

Addressing The President by name would be considered desrespect and your email/letter could be discarded. I would suggest if your message is to be heard, re-write the message addressing as Mr President and appologize for using his name earlier.

amitjoey
04-19-2010, 02:07 PM
I understand that your intention is to get heard. I appreciate your effort at writing letter. However writing to the president will not help us much. Here is why:
In the USA, infact for that matter in most democracies, Laws are made by elected representatives unless it is an executive order to grant an immediate relief.

The composition and powers of the House and the Senate are established in Article One of the Constitution. The major power of the House is to pass federal legislation that affects the entire country, although its bills must also be passed by the Senate and further agreed to by the President before becoming law (unless both the House and Senate re-pass the legislation with a two-thirds majority in each chamber). The total number of voting representatives is fixed by law at no more than 435.[1] (United States congressional apportionment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_congressional_apportionment))

So, In our case, the president at the most can sympathise with our cause and the hardships we face because of the limbo, But he cannot really help until there is a bill that passes both the house and the senate.

So, Can I suggest that it will be even more worthwhile if you contact your congressman/woman and go meet them. We need them to understand our plight and anguish.

We all need to go meet our lawmakers, educate them.

eastindia
04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
I understand that your intention is to get heard. I appreciate your effort at writing letter. However writing to the president will not help us much. Here is why:
In the USA, infact for that matter in most democracies, Laws are made by elected representatives unless it is an executive order to grant an immediate relief.

The composition and powers of the House and the Senate are established in Article One of the Constitution. The major power of the House is to pass federal legislation that affects the entire country, although its bills must also be passed by the Senate and further agreed to by the President before becoming law (unless both the House and Senate re-pass the legislation with a two-thirds majority in each chamber). The total number of voting representatives is fixed by law at no more than 435.[1] (United States congressional apportionment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_congressional_apportionment))

So, In our case, the president at the most can sympathise with our cause and the hardships we face because of the limbo, But he cannot really help until there is a bill that passes both the house and the senate.

So, Can I suggest that it will be even more worthwhile if you contact your congressman/woman and go meet them. We need them to understand our plight and anguish.

We all need to go meet our lawmakers, educate them.

They already are educated. Do you think they do not know about us?
They fully know about us. But they will not help us because we are not voters and cannot contribute.
A better idea is to have our employers contact them. People working in large companies can do this. I am surprised why the big companies have not taken up this issue for us. Why cannot we have big companies issues statements in our favor?

amitjoey
04-19-2010, 02:31 PM
When I met the staff at my congresswoman's office. They were taken aback when I mentioned that I have been in the country "LEGALLY" for the last 12 years and have not recieved my green card. They had no clue that there was a huge backlog. So YES! technically they are aware of the employment based immigration process. What they are unaware of is that there are so many of us stuck in limbo
Now, Yes we are not voters. So they have no incentive to take up our cause. But when the bill does come up for discussion, we want them to be sympathetic to our provisions and know there are people in their constituencies that will benefit. In the past they just yanked out our provisions.
That is why we need to show up at their offices and educate them (Meaning show them we live in their constituency and are affected).

cbpds
04-19-2010, 02:45 PM
While its a good idea to write to the president, Obama himself says he gets 40,000 letters per day, so its a rain drop in the ocean, no offense intended.

We need to do a coordinated strike by all members of the IV

1.Everyone send an email or calls the Congressman's office on a particular date
2.Call or email their senator on a particular date.
3.Write letters to popular TV talk show hosts on a particular week saying legal immigration is ignored in the immigration debate.
4.Send an email to the president on a particular date
5.Organize peaceful rallies in their respective cities on a particular date. This way no one has to pay for traveling in terms of flight tickets or pay for hotels

This has to be organized by PAPPU and TEAM as everyone respects their work and commitment.

PS Don't start of the donate campaign thread now, people will donate once they see action and not just words. Only #5 needs donation for flags, posters etc( even that content can be brought by folks themselves)

amitjoey
04-19-2010, 05:17 PM
For a start, can we all just do one thing: Take an appointment with our local congressman/woman's office and do a presentation. No need to do it on one particular day. Just do it in the next month.

regacct
04-20-2010, 09:29 AM
While its a good idea to write to the president, Obama himself says he gets 40,000 letters per day, so its a rain drop in the ocean, no offense intended.

We need to do a coordinated strike by all members of the IV

1.Everyone send an email or calls the Congressman's office on a particular date
2.Call or email their senator on a particular date.
3.Write letters to popular TV talk show hosts on a particular week saying legal immigration is ignored in the immigration debate.
4.Send an email to the president on a particular date
5.Organize peaceful rallies in their respective cities on a particular date. This way no one has to pay for traveling in terms of flight tickets or pay for hotels

This has to be organized by PAPPU and TEAM as everyone respects their work and commitment.

PS Don't start of the donate campaign thread now, people will donate once they see action and not just words. Only #5 needs donation for flags, posters etc( even that content can be brought by folks themselves)

For a start, can we all just do one thing: Take an appointment with our local congressman/woman's office and do a presentation. No need to do it on one particular day. Just do it in the next month.

Both ideas are good; coordinated and targeted efforts will get the attention of a few. We need guidance from the IV team on this matter.
phone campaigns/ email campaigns on two days to every senator/congressman
may be getting tv talk show hosts to take up during the same two days

dummgelauft
04-20-2010, 10:48 AM
All of of this, writing to the president, congressman/congresswoman are fine, but PLEASE, PLEASE make sure, that the following are adhered to:

(1) Address the President as "Honorable Mr. President", and not "Hello Mr. Obama"

(2) Please please please apply spell check and make sure that your letter/email/fax is grammatically correct. All of us claim to be "best and brightest" and "highly educated", but having seen the composition skills and grammar usage of a lot of us here, on IV, I would higly recommend having another person, who is more competent in the PROPER use of English language, take a look at whatever you write.

(3) It would make sense to send letters (several thousands of them, if possible), to the President, on the same day. Even if a handful of these letters make it to his desk, each with same/similar content, but from different people, he just might notice it enough.

imh1b
04-20-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm gonna write too. But can someone post a draft. Instead of a letter saying please give me greencard I do not have one.... we should have a letter saying please do admin fixes and these are the fixes.
If they send it to USCIS then USCIS will not send you a reply saying your PD is not current. So we cannot do Admin fixes.

hopefullegalimmigrant
04-20-2010, 07:37 PM
All of of this, writing to the president, congressman/congresswoman are fine, but PLEASE, PLEASE make sure, that the following are adhered to:

(1) Address the President as "Honorable Mr. President", and not "Hello Mr. Obama"

(2) Please please please apply spell check and make sure that your letter/email/fax is grammatically correct. All of us claim to be "best and brightest" and "highly educated", but having seen the composition skills and grammar usage of a lot of us here, on IV, I would higly recommend having another person, who is more competent in the PROPER use of English language, take a look at whatever you write.

(3) It would make sense to send letters (several thousands of them, if possible), to the President, on the same day. Even if a handful of these letters make it to his desk, each with same/similar content, but from different people, he just might notice it enough.

You are right. I accept. I sent an apology, water under the bridge, Thanks for the reconfirmation. Now What can we do to make this happen. What suggestions do you have other than send more letters?

hopefullegalimmigrant
04-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Dear friends please post your ideas.

Group meet
Letters
Campaigns were all done

What More??? What is that thing we can do that will have the most impact and the least attention for the wrong reasons? We need to get our idea across. HOW?

Please contribute - Not money but invaluable ideas. We wont be able to match any $$ to an invaluable idea.

LETS DO IT!

satyasrd
04-21-2010, 08:27 AM
How about doing a march in DC ? We need to get attention and raise awareness towards our situation.
I have asked this question several times and got no reply but could IV help us out with this ?