PDA

View Full Version : 100... reasons not to attend DC rally

arthsidhu
09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
My dear legal immigrants who aren't attending the DC rally,

Please feel free to put your reason for not attending the DC rally in this thread so that other whiners who still want the GC but without any pain can use it for excuse.

Even though it seems very funny or stupid, but that is a question you should be asking yourself first.

gbarquero
09-11-2007, 11:02 PM

Please feel free to put your reason for not attending the DC rally in this thread so that other whiners who still want the GC but without any pain can use it for excuse.

Even though it seems very funny or stupid, but that is a question you should be asking yourself first.

So far we gave a LOT for our GC, and there is more to come (or go). Coming to DC is a small investment that for sure will expedite it.

Libra
09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Please let us know the reason for not coming to DC rally, may be we can help. please post your reasons here, not much time left. so decide now.

varshadas
09-12-2007, 11:07 AM
I have a business travel.

engineer
09-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I am coming to rally..but here are few reasons which I heard

1. Is Green Card issue that messed up ?
2. My lawyers/ HR are taking care of it.
3. I am busy.
4. We are small number of people and cannot do anything.

Libra
09-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Is there any way you can postpone the business trip? because this is gonna be an historic event, and its now or never situation. If we dont stand up now, we can never do that again.

Libra
09-12-2007, 11:20 AM
see this

1. Is Green Card issue that messed up ? it means they dont know the number game(poker) played by USCIS every year.
2. My lawyers/ HR are taking care of it. Lawyer/HR will not get you visa numbers.
3. I am busy.

amitps
09-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Talking of business travel, I also had one. I changed plans a little bit - my trip now is:

18th 7 AM - Chicago to DC
18th 7 PM - DC to Austin (to see my client)
20th 6 PM - Austin to Chicago

If there is a will there is a way....

varshadas
09-12-2007, 11:27 AM
If there is a will, there is a way agreed. If it was upto me to change business travel, I would have.

Thanks,
Varsha

mhathi
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I was on the verge of deciding dates for my bussiness travel around the early days after july 17 retraction of visa bulleting. Since the rally was to be on september 13th, I weighed on my superiors to have the site visit postponed to the following week. And then guess what, the rally was postponed following week.

There was no way for me to then go back to the week of 13th or any other date. So I am stuck out of town on september 18th. Still, I have been contributing in my own small way for the rally in helping distribute fliers in the DC/MD area and contributed $1oo for the cause, making total contribution so far at $200.

I wish you all great success for all our purposes and hope fo releif soon.

chanduv23
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Hello Varsha - I understand that you have been an excellent volunteer for IV. If it is not possible for you to make it, please help in other ways like contribution or motivating others

pappu
09-12-2007, 11:38 AM

1. Is Green Card issue that messed up ?
No your eyes are closed.
2. My lawyers/ HR are taking care of it.
Good for you. Don't come back to us later telling us you were wrong in saying so.
3. I am busy.
Me too. Whats new in this?

How many do you think will work? Then get us that number by working with us.

---
Another reason I have heard:
Q: I don't really care for the greencard. I am ready to go back to my home country.

My Answer to such people: Please do not waste your time and please cancel your greencard application ASAP and go back, if this is what you want. This will be a big help to poor souls like us who will have one less person ahead of them in line.

needhelp!
09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
1) My PD is 2003, I will be getting my GC soon

2) My employer allows me to have vertical promotions and salary hikes

3) I am happy in my job

4) I can switch jobs on EAD

5) Ignorance is bliss

6) GC is a privilege. We should be grateful we are here. In a few years the US gates are going to be completely closed.

7) I make a lot of $$ anyway, I'll pack my bags and leave if I have to, why bother with the US government.

8) There are other things like spiritual journey that are more important than Green Card. When you are on this path, then things like green card don't matter. Please don't disrupt my peace.

9) My kids are top priority right now, sorry can't make it.

10) Nothing is going to happen

11) I have a good immigration attorney, I can get you in touch with him.

pappu
09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
1) My PD is 2003, I will be getting my GC soon

How soon

2) My employer allows me to have vertical promotions and salary hikes
Did you check with your lawyer if this is ok for your GC application?

3) I am happy in my job
Good for you. Nothing is permanent.
4) I can switch jobs on EAD
Yes But.....

5) Ignorance is bliss
Thats so sweet! Why did you go to college and got your degree. You could have stayed ignorant all your life.
Good luck. :)
6) GC is a privilege. We should be grateful we are here. In a few years the US gates are going to be completely closed.
Thats great. Infact we should be grateful for everything we recieve in life... food, water, clean air....
Are you going to close the gates? What is the basis of your statement?
7) I make a lot of $$ anyway, I'll pack my bags and leave if I have to, why bother with the US government.
I will help you pack your bags when you want to any day.

8) There are other things like spiritual journey that are more important than Green Card. When you are on this path, then things like green card don't matter. Please don't disrupt my peace.
Then why are you after $$ as you said in your earlier question?

9) My kids are top priority right now, sorry can't make it.
everyone has kids as top priority. Who does not have?

10) Nothing is going to happen

Are you God?

--- :)

varshadas
09-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Hello Varsha - I understand that you have been an excellent volunteer for IV. If it is not possible for you to make it, please help in other ways like contribution or motivating others

I am contributing and trying to motivate others. That is an ongoing process for my side. I just don't spell it out.

Thanks,
Varsha

needhelp!
09-12-2007, 11:53 AM
I haven't even started my GC process yet.

needhelp!
09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Then why are you after $$ as you said in your earlier question?

The reasons were each from different people :D

chanduv23
09-12-2007, 11:56 AM
---
Another reason I have heard:
Q: I don't really care for the greencard. I am ready to go back to my home country.

My Answer to such people: Please do not waste your time and please cancel your greencard application ASAP and go back, if this is what you want. This will be a big help to poor souls like us who will have one less person ahead of them in line.

R u kidding? 300,000 petitions were filed in July. I think people filed these petitions only for fun, they will all actually go back.

300K PETITIONS FILED AND 300K RECIEPT NOTICE TRACKERS WILL GO BACK TO THEIR HOME CONUTRIES AFTER TRACKING THEIR RECIEPTS?????

willigetagc
09-12-2007, 11:59 AM
I am better off going to mexico and then running across the border.

I can get a GC faster and also get unlimited, unrestricted work visa renewable every 4 years. :D

chanduv23
09-12-2007, 11:59 AM
I am contributing and trying to motivate others. That is an ongoing process for my side. I just don't spell it out.

Thanks,
Varsha

Thanks for whatever you are doing. But, it would be great if you just let us know - the main reason, we are also doing our best and would like to see results.

You have been profiled very high by the IV core as one of the best volunteers and we definitely need people like you to help us, if you do it silently we may never know.

mundada
09-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Markets changed couple of weeks ago and my group is rushing to get things done before FOMC meeting on Sept. 18. I am not sure whether I could make to rally on the same day itself, will try though.

mundada
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
R u kidding? 300,000 petitions were filed in July. I think people filed these petitions only for fun, they will all actually go back.

300K PETITIONS FILED AND 300K RECIEPT NOTICE TRACKERS WILL GO BACK TO THEIR HOME CONUTRIES AFTER TRACKING THEIR RECIEPTS?????
No fun to those who wish to go back but through my conversations with many who left or wish to go they want GC in their pockets before leaving so that they don't have to play lottery and wait game later on if they ever wish to come back.

needhelp!
09-12-2007, 12:27 PM
I have a deadline to meet, not sure if I can make it

chanduv23
09-12-2007, 12:31 PM
No fun to those who wish to go back but through my conversations with many who left or wish to go they want GC in their pockets before leaving so that they don't have to play lottery and wait game later on if they ever wish to come back.

All the more good reason to attend the rally - if one applies then he has to wait for years to get his GC and go back if backlogs are not addressed.

gc_check
09-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Took a new position, as the earlier project was over. I'm in training that week.. Formal education session scheduled by the new group. Will not be able miss this, as this is needed for the new position I took.

svanb
09-12-2007, 01:25 PM

OK this thread I had to reply to. I know you mean well but...

You want to know why I am not going to DC? If I and others let you know our private lives will you stop badgering people in other threads, basically stating "you don't deserve information, help, or a green card" not exact words but a number of posts carry that implied message.

I have several very valid reasons why I can't go to DC, one being, as a quote from an old Simply Red song said "Money's too Tight to Mention"

Right now I have no vacation time, no sick time. I was ill 2 weeks a go and lost $700 from my pay.
My spouse, as many of you have the same problem, can't work. However he has an ex wife that I have to pay $1500 a month to. (Just as a side note don't think other countries are great because the have free health care they have lots of hidden costs, some in the justice system) No we aren't immigrating to get away from that...
We are pursuing legal action in Canada to have the alimony stopped (no child support) that costs money too.
We live in California, check out cost of living here. Even with a good salary we don't have a great take home pay because of said ex wife above. I can't even contribute to a pension plan / 401K so I'll be working to 85 or later :-)
I could go on about other things but I have exposed enough of my personal life to give you an idea, but believe me there is more.

I did look at the petition, but can't pass it around work. Against the rules, someone got in trouble for asking if people would sponsor her for a walk for breast cancer (no kidding). I don't have many friends in the area I live in, at most I might get 2 signatures.

I have been waiting 6 years for my green card, my employer's fault not the government's, though now... Anyway, I officially moved here on an H1-B, Sept 1st 2001. We hadn't even completely unpacked when 9/11 hit. My employer used that as an excuse to stop my Green Card (they had started the work for labor certification) and refuse to start again, until they realized I would be leaving if they didn't start at least 1 year in advance on my H1-B expiring.

Even though money is tight, I did take part in the flower campaign. I loved the idea and my husband agreed to it. I thought it was a wonderful idea and worked as it was intended, Kudos to the organizers. I do small things where I can, send out requested emails, I just don't come on here and say "Hey look at what I did" Or do you want people to put in their signatures everything they did so you can decide whether they are worthy to have an answer to their question?

Please please stop with the guilt trips! Even this thread is just another snide statement that you are nothing but a whiner if you follow this group but don't go to DC. I don't mind a reminder in a signature, but please, as Thumper's mom use to tell him "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." (Bambi) Answer the questions in the other threads but unless you have an actual question or answer please stay out of the thread. It comes off mean spirited rather than encouraging.

-One of the undeserving-

crystal
09-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I am sure those snide remarks are not meant for the guys who really have genuine reason for not attending. They are meant for the people who can make it otherwise ...

OK this thread I had to reply to. I know you mean well but...

-One of the undeserving-

javadeveloper
09-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I am sure those snide remarks are not meant for the guys who really have genuine reason for not attending. They are meant for the people who can make it otherwise ...

I agree

Libra
09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
that is the problem with these(svanb kinda) members, if they have genuine reason for not attending rally or an active member contributed to IV in other ways, they dont have to respond to those post. i already said this before. these type of post are meant for the people who come just to track receipts and once they receive receipts they dont even care. I can show you bunch of people on receipt tracking thread. If we keep on request to contribute, they'll say they will and never login to IV. If you are an active member and can't make it to rally that's fine.

immi_twinges
09-12-2007, 03:16 PM
**Please do not consider this in any negative way, these are my thoughts ****

1) Rite now congress has more headaches to deal with like Iraq war..i am assuming that the rally will not have any good impact
2) USCIS has expedited the process. I dont think there are many applications left for processing from 2001 to 2004. I guess most of the applications are from 2005 to 2007 for retrogressed countries.
3) USCIS has already raised the fees almost 3 times . SO they have no excuse what so ever not to complete the processing fast.
4)I think the oct visa bulliten is just a safe side bulliten for the USCIS and i feel that most of the people will get GC by next year oct.
5) I feel that its not the right time for the rally.
June or JUly 2008 is the right time because atleast they will work on giving the unused GCs
6) Sep 2007 is too early ...they can always state that " we did our best in 2007 and see how may visas we gave away for countries with higher demand more than the country cap and we will do our best again...it will be a kind of backfire for us friends"
7)organizations which are anti immigration can pick on the numbers ( the ones that exceed country cap) and there might be a chance of completely loosing the opportunity to use unused visas.(Dear god ..hopefully nothing happens like that)

These are my thoughts ...i might be wrong or right ..Time will say..

vandanaverdia
09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=svanb;164567]OK this thread I had to reply to. I know you mean well but...

You want to know why I am not going to DC? If I and others let you know our private lives will you stop badgering people in other threads, basically stating "you don't deserve information, help, or a green card" not exact words but a number of posts carry that implied message.

We totally understand reasons, but we can't stop hijacking threads. If you know people need motivation to make it to D.C. We want to feel everyone is fighting for themselves not just a few fighting for all.
As you know our only medium is to encourage people through threads and the most frequented is the receipt tracking. Why would you feel guilty if you have legitimate problems and are doing something to fight for a cause when you have the time or resources. Feel proud, feel empowered and feel special that we will represent you in the rally and many of the legit reasons that are larger than life that cannot attend the rally!

Just don't stop us from posting and encouraging people. The train has left the station and it won't stop, we are trying to wake people up. People who don't feel involved should feel guilt, that is the point. You don't have to and IV as a family will fight for you!
Think, why is it that IV has over 20K members and just a few who are contributing or or want to make it for the rally? Why.. Why Why.. Think again. I also am tempted to track receipt numbers, but I understand tracking is not making the system any faster, we still have a broken system that needs to be fixed. That is the need and every thread must as much noise to get everyone to attend the Rally. If we can give up one more week of not tracking, we absolutely don't LOSE Anything!

pappu
09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I haven't even started my GC process yet.
My answer to those people:
You dont start it. Your employer starts it. So wake up and stop living in illusion.

pappu
09-12-2007, 03:20 PM
I have a deadline to meet, not sure if I can make it

tell them: ... as if we have free time in this world and no deadlines

Libra
09-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I can imagine your friends face when he said this :D:D:D:D:D

Me: R u scared?

Friend: Who is scared? I am not scared, you are scared, you want your GC I am not desperate.

texanmom
09-12-2007, 03:30 PM
**Please do not consider this in any negative way, these are my thoughts ****

1) Rite now congress has more headaches to deal with like Iraq war..i am assuming that the rally will not have any good impact
Bush want to leave a legacy, a positive one...here is one venue for him to do that. Besides, there is a lot of support that is being drummed up to get some immigration reform in place. The rally WILL make an impact. It is a wake up call for all the lawmakers.

2) USCIS has expedited the process. I dont think there are many applications left for processing from 2001 to 2004. I guess most of the applications are from 2005 to 2007 for retrogressed countries.
I have an application pending from those years...and so do many others..Have you looked at the Oct Visa Bulletin??? Get your facts right.

3) USCIS has already raised the fees almost 3 times . SO they have no excuse what so ever not to complete the processing fast.
Like you said, they have done it thrice before and they have not exhausted their 140000 visas every year because of their inefficiencies. What makes you think this time is any different?

4)I think the oct visa bulliten is just a safe side bulliten for the USCIS and i feel that most of the people will get GC by next year oct.
Good luck buddy!! You are in for a rude shock! If anything, I would say that is an overly optimistic estimate!

5) I feel that its not the right time for the rally. June or JUly 2008 is the right time because atleast they will work on giving the unused GCs
That is not the only thing we are fighting for! There will be no laws signed during the last few months of a presidency...Its now or never. This is the BEST time.

6) Sep 2007 is too early ...they can always state that " we did our best in 2007 and see how may visas we gave away for countries with higher demand more than the country cap and we will do our best again...it will be a kind of backfire for us friends"
Its never too early. We have already waited too long! If they have been giving away visas to countries with higher demand, there would be no retrogression, right?

7)organizations which are anti immigration can pick on the numbers ( the ones that exceed country cap) and there might be a chance of completely loosing the opportunity to use unused visas.(Dear god ..hopefully nothing happens like that)
Why the 'dear god' if you believe that everyone will get their GC by next Oct? Do I see some fear here?? Ha ha!

Just my thoughts!!!