PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Options before Priority date current

alforever
04-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Hello Everyone, I have one specific issue.
My Priority date is May 2007, and i am under 3rd category h1b 3-years extension at the moment in the USA. I140 has been approved and i am waiting for priority date to be current so i can apply for i485. but its taking too long because of the backlog. What are my overseas travelling options during this LOOONG waiting period.
Can me and my wife (holding h4) travel overseas while waiting for the priority date to be current? like i said we have an approved i140 and h1b 3-years approval notice, but have not yet applied for i485 as we are waiting for priority date to be current. please help? anyone is the same situation?

roseball
04-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Hello Everyone, I have one specific issue.
My Priority date is May 2007, and i am under 3rd category h1b 3-years extension at the moment in the USA. I140 has been approved and i am waiting for priority date to be current so i can apply for i485. but its taking too long because of the backlog. What are my overseas travelling options during this LOOONG waiting period.
Can me and my wife (holding h4) travel overseas while waiting for the priority date to be current? like i said we have an approved i140 and h1b 3-years approval notice, but have not yet applied for i485 as we are waiting for priority date to be current. please help? anyone is the same situation?

Just use your valid H1/H4 visa for travel. If you had applied for I-485, then you would have had an extra option to apply and use AP for travel. Since you haven't filed I-485 yet, you can continue to use H1/H4 visa for travel while you wait to file I-485. Btw, if you are already over your 6 year H1 visa limit, then having an approved I-140 entitles you to get 3 yr H1 extensions whenever you are due for H1 renewal.

alforever
04-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Just use your valid H1/H4 visa for travel. If you had applied for I-485, then you would have had an extra option to apply and use AP for travel. Since you haven't filed I-485 yet, you can continue to use H1/H4 visa for travel while you wait to file I-485. Btw, if you are already over your 6 year H1 visa limit, then having an approved I-140 entitles you to get 3 yr H1 extensions whenever you are due for H1 renewal.
Thank you very much for your response. Yes we have received a 3yr extension (approval notice). in that case, I am assuming that we would have to go to the US embassy overseas to get H1B and H4 stamped on the passport opon returning back to the usa?

roseball
04-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Thank you very much for your response. Yes we have received a 3yr extension (approval notice). in that case, I am assuming that we would have to go to the US embassy overseas to get H1B and H4 stamped on the passport opon returning back to the usa?

Yes, you will have to go to the US embassy for Visa stamping and use it to re-enter US whenever you travel overseas the next time. Btw, I am assuming you got your H1 extension approval with a I-94 attached. If not, you will have to leave the US immediately and get a visa stamp and re-enter on H1 in order to maintain a valid H1 status and continue to work legally. If you got an I-94 attached with H1 extension approval, then you can continue to stay/work in US as long as your H1 extension is valid. You don't need a VISA stamp unless you travel overseas.

alforever
04-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi thank you again, yes i understand that visa stamp is only needed for overseas travelling purpose. You raise a good point though when you said you assume i got h1 approved with i-94 attahced. This brings me to a scenario that just happened a few months back. I applied for extension h1b and h4 and we received notification that it has been approved and the approval sent to the attorney. But the attorney has disappeared. My wifes h4 approval was returned back to uscis and mine is not known where it is. we called uscis and they said we have to apply a duplicate i-824 individually to get the approval sent back to us again. i have therefore submitted i-824 application for my wife already. and i am submitting mine this week. all we have right now is h4 receipt for my wife and a copy of the approval for h1b for me (without i-94) that usually goes to the peititoner. What do you think about this?

roseball
04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi thank you again, yes i understand that visa stamp is only needed for overseas travelling purpose. You raise a good point though when you said you assume i got h1 approved with i-94 attahced. This brings me to a scenario that just happened a few months back. I applied for extension h1b and h4 and we received notification that it has been approved and the approval sent to the attorney. But the attorney has disappeared. My wifes h4 approval was returned back to uscis and mine is not known where it is. we called uscis and they said we have to apply a duplicate i-824 individually to get the approval sent back to us again. i have therefore submitted i-824 application for my wife already. and i am submitting mine this week. all we have right now is h4 receipt for my wife and a copy of the approval for h1b for me (without i-94) that usually goes to the peititoner. What do you think about this?

Oh well, since the employer H1 approval copy does not have an attached I-94, we cannot conclude anything. File a I-824 for your H1 first, I believe your employer needs to file the I-824 for H1.....For H-4, you can do it yourself since its a personal petition....Then have your employer or employer's attorney contact USCIS and enquire whether your Extension of Status was approved as well (meaning H1 approval had an attached I-94). If thats not possible, you will have to wait till your I-824s are processed and you get new copies of the approvals to check if they have attached I-94s.

alforever
04-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Oh well, since the employer H1 approval copy does not have an attached I-94, we cannot conclude anything. File a I-824 for your H1 first, I believe your employer needs to file the I-824 for H1.....For H-4, you can do it yourself since its a personal petition....Then have your employer or employer's attorney contact USCIS and enquire whether your Extension of Status was approved as well (meaning H1 approval had an attached I-94). If thats not possible, you will have to wait till your I-824s are processed and you get new copies of the approvals to check if they have attached I-94s.
thank you! yes thats the plan of action, my employer called USCIS and thats what they told him, however, i dont think he asked speciaficlaly wether I94 was atached or not, i will check with my boss and maybe have him call back. Employer is filing the I-824 this time. I hope they dont send the duplicates to the old lawyer, as she disappeared without notice, very strange.