PDA

View Full Version : H1 Extension

nid
03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Guys,

I would appreciate if you could help on this.

I last entered in US using AP and currently working on EAD . My H1 is going to expire in April 2010. I am thinking of renewing it to provide a backup in case anything happens to my 485. I have to go to India in July 2010 and I would like to come back using AP. Pleass let me know which of the following option is best for me.

1. Renew my H1 now and go to India n July and come back using AP.I understand that in this case, if I have to use H1, I would have to go to India and get it stamped.

2. Come back from India in July and renew my H1 after I come back. Is this possible to renew the H1 after it expires and do they give you a I94 in this case?

Please let me know what you think. I need to decide ASAP.

Thanks

CRAZYMONK
03-18-2010, 09:56 AM
I think your first point is valid. I would do the same thing. If you are using AP, I don't think you need to go for stamping.

Your second point is some what complicated. As your H1 is expiring in April, if you renew it later in July, it might go for consular processing, which means that you won't get the I 94 with the approval notice. In that case you need to reenter uisng a valid visa.

nid
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks Crazymonk.

Does it always go to consular processing for 2nd option?

I was more inclined towards 2nd option thinking that whether or not I get I94, if in case I have to use it, I can make a trip to India and get the stamping done?

Thoughts?

CRAZYMONK
03-18-2010, 03:44 PM
If that is the case, why don't you opt for 1 and not go for stamping? Indeed you don't need to if you are planning to use AP.