PDA

View Full Version : H1b Cancellation when moving from H1b to EAD

uimv
03-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Hello,

For case where GC and H1b sponsoring employer is same, please tell (as per USCIS rules/guidelines):

1. When switching from H1b to EAD (while working for GC sponsoring employer) does GC/H1b sponsoring employer have to cancel H1b ?

2. If on AP/EAD WITHOUT work, is there any liability to GC/H1b sponsoring employer ? Does he have to cancel H1b ?

Than You.

uimv
03-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I am not sure why you are switching from valid H1B to EAD and while still working for the GC sponsoring employer.

However Employer DOES have to inform (and request cancellation) to USCIS about H1B employee no longer working for them on H1B visa. Its the law.

Again not sure why you are moving from H1B to EAD when H1B is still valid?
Thanks. It is employer decision.
I know of cases where, H1b was not cancelled.
Can you please give link to USCIS site stating the rule ?

ALL: Please share your experience in this area.

desi3933
03-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks. It is employer decision.
I know of cases where, H1b was not cancelled.
Can you please give link to USCIS site stating the rule ?

ALL: Please share your experience in this area.

Incorrect!

I have written on this topic many times before. Employer is required, by law, to inform USCIS about termination of employment (whether voluntary or not) and any changes in employment eligibility.

Read for yourself -

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/E1eng.pdf

[From the pdf link]
Employers must keep USCIS informed of any firings, termination of employment, or changes in the employee’s eligibility by submitting a letter to the USCIS Service Center that approved the application or petition.

uimv
03-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Incorrect!
I have written on this topic many times before. Employer is required, by law, to inform USCIS about termination of employment (whether voluntary or not) and any changes in employment eligibility.

Read for yourself -
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/E1eng.pdf
[From the pdf link]
Employers must keep USCIS informed of any firings, termination of employment, or changes in the employee’s eligibility by submitting a letter to the USCIS Service Center that approved the application or petition.

Thanks coopheal, desi3933.

But in case of switching from H1b to EAD (while working for H1b/GC sponsoring employer), there is no termination, changes in the employee’s eligibility or change in job duties. So no requirement to cancel H1b.

redgreen
03-14-2010, 01:14 PM
So what exactly is meant by this switching? How/What does it affect? Where or how you/company/USICS decide whether you are on H1 or EAD?

But in case of switching from H1b to EAD (while working for H1b/GC sponsoring employer), there is no termination, changes in the employee’s eligibility or change in job duties. So no requirement to cancel H1b.

uimv
03-14-2010, 01:18 PM
So what exactly is meant by this switching? How/What does it affect? Where or how you/company/USICS decide whether you are on H1 or EAD?
Switch from H1 to EAD is done by filling out new I-9 form for EAD.

desi3933
03-15-2010, 07:59 AM

Incorrect!

Switching from H-1B to EAD comes under change in employee's eligibility. That's the reason new I-9 is filed (to reflect change in employee's employment eligibility).

uimv
03-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Incorrect!
Switching from H-1B to EAD comes under change in employee's eligibility. That's the reason new I-9 is filed (to reflect change in employee's employment eligibility).

Thanks.
So employer has to inform USCIS about EAD use. But in this case (and termination) the actual H1b cancellation is USCIS decision ?
(The pdf does not state what action USCIS will take)

desi3933
03-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks.
So employer has to inform USCIS about EAD use. But in this case (and termination) the actual H1b cancellation is USCIS decision ?
(The pdf does not state what action USCIS will take)

Incorrect, again!

Employer is not required to inform about EAD usage. On the contrary, Employer has to inform about discontinuation of H-1B for that employee. That will absolve employer H-1B employer for any condition or payment for wages for conditions such as unproductive time (aka bench).

There is no regulation that requires employer to inform USCIS when employment (and I-9) is filled due to EAD, Green Card, or US citizenship.