PDA

View Full Version : Medical Treatment for Parents: Health Insurance does not cover this

gk_kumar
07-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Hello,

My parents have visiting visa to the US, I want to get a treatment here for them, it costs 100-500K USD, health insurance does not cover this, is there a way I can get them this treatment and pay the amount slowly in a payment plan.

All I want is the treatment and I am ready this pay this amount slowly for many years later on.

Please Advice

eb2_immigrant
07-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Hello,

My parents have visiting visa to the US, I want to get a treatment here for them, it costs 100-500K USD, health insurance does not cover this, is there a way I can get them this treatment and pay the amount slowly in a payment plan.

All I want is the treatment and I am ready this pay this amount slowly for many years later on.

Please Advice

Looking at your Id I am assuming you are from India. Did you check if this treatment could be done in india? I am confident that its affordalbe there and with few exception pretty much everything is treated in India these days.

If you want your parents to get treated in US only, sure you can take them to ER and then get the complete diagnosis done. Once the treatment is done you can talk to the hospital and come up with a payment plan. It is not as simple as I say , they would not admit in hospital unless the condition of the patient is critical. There are lot of other things to consider. One thing is for sure though, You can get the treatment done but you don't have to pay everything right away unlike in India where you have to pay upfront.

punjabi
07-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Depending upon certain factors, you might get an aid from State or Federal Medical Benefits program. Every state has their own benefit programs and some medical benefits are also governed by federal govt.

In your parents case, check it out with them if they will get qualified. It is my guess that visitors to US get limited benefits but only your state is able to tell you that.

Good luck.

Hello,

Please Advice

NNReddy
07-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I am trying to find a forum on immigration voice about visitor visa extension on medical grounds. My mother-in-law is visiting USA and is scheduled to depart in 10 days. She had an emergency small intestine surgery, we need to apply for her visa extension. Can we ask for visitor visa extension on medical grounds or is it better to ask for extension on tourism grounds. Please advise if anybody had similar situation.

freeindia
07-04-2009, 05:41 PM
IV is really a great platform for immigration and immigrant related issues.
Hats off to all the founders and members for their contributions.

I want to let everyone know about the scam(s) being run by most of the Medical Insurance Company's especially for parents holding Visitor Visa's.

My parents visited US 3 months back and I have done good amount of research and after inquiring about various plan details got medical insurance from ICICI.
My parents paid around $1400.00 for 6 months.

The policy's name it self mentions Cash Less claim policy meaning
no payments/approvals required at the time of service and their US tie up United Health Care would take care of all the charges.

Unfortunately, my father had developed Heart Symptoms and on the advise of a family Doctor living remotely had to contact ICICI for finding out about any specific group to be visited.

We were told that, I need to pay the consultation charges and if it is more than deductible of $100.00, need to file for Claim.
I was ready for that but asked about any diagnostic tests prescribed, they had suggested the same pay and claim policy.
I argued with them about policy details and the ICICI representative was suggesting the same.
Later, I was told to visit a Doctor and send them Prescription for tests so that they would pre-approval.
At this point , I was pretty sure nothing is going to work out with this policy and it is a scam.
But still sent them all the test details.
ICICI never responded even after 2 weeks and kept on dragging requesting the same documents over and over.
Most ridiculous part was they operate without a Toll Free number and every time we need to keep on updating every representative.
Thank god with advise from my family Doctor, I sent my parents within a week.
After reaching India, my father was undergoing tests and one day suddenly developed severe Heart stroke and was rushed to hospital and got operated.
He is safe and stable now and is recovering.
Meanwhile, ICICI did come back after 4 weeks with a pre-approval, with $ 800.00 limit.
They dont have any pre-negotiated rates with any hospital in USA.
I asked how about United Health Care tie up.
They answered that United Health Care is a payment agency for ICICI in USA.

To put Long story short
Later, I came to know that most of my friends had same kind of issues with all the Insurance company's based out of India and some of UK and US.
So fellow immigrants beware of these Insurance Companies.
Iam not sure if any other insurance company, which fulfills their promises made for Visitors.
If so, please share.

Iam filig a case in Consumer court and trying to take it to media attention back home.
Infact, even it is not immigration related issue, thought of sharing with all the immigrants
as most of us do face this kind of issues.

shivarajan
07-05-2009, 06:05 AM
The most stupid thing to do is to take ANY kind of medical insurance from India. It won't work --even if it's from a branded player.

Also don't get stuck with sites (desi consulting like websites) who sell cheap medical coverage for visitors and considers everything as pre-existing conditions once a claim comes, and re-opens same with different names if their names gets dirty in online forums)

My suggestion is visit ur state medical insurance commissioners website, get all the providers in ur state, call each of them (esp. once which are like group health schemes). U may be able to able one, I was able to get for my parent(s) from ghc (it was a calamity coverage, works for me since it included almost a free doctor visit once a month or something --if we go to ghc's hospital)

The only catch is we need to call ssa office and get a letter stating that the person (parent here) is not covered in medicare part a & b (that's required for the insurance company to issue coverage without ssn)

gud luck!

freeindia
07-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for your suggestion.
By the way, I hope you have not been to hospital for any emergency treatment for your parents.
Did hospital authorities provide any written document about the services ( tests/treatment)
elgible under the policy your parents are covered.
Could you eloborate on the type of policy obtained from the insurer.

Thanks in advance for information

sugaur
07-05-2009, 10:40 AM
What kind of treatment does your dad need?
I would suggest that if it is not very rare and complicated, best option would be to get it taken care of in India. It will be cheaper and some Indian hospitals are as good if not better than US.
Regarding health coverage during visit to US. Remember, the idea is to have insurance for emergency unforseen conditions like fracture/ dog bite/ etc, not for prexisting conditions.
Only 1-2 health insurances will cover "acute exacerbation" of pre existing condition upto 10000 to 15000 dollars.
My father had chest pains on his vistit and in the ER was diagnosed with angina. He required an angiogram and stent placement followed by an IV drug for 6 hours. He stayed in the hospital for 12 hours. I got a bill of 72,000 dollars from the hospital, 1000 dollars from the ER physician, 50 dollars for X ray, 500 dollars for labs and 3500 dollars from the cardiologist. His travel insurance paid 15,000 dollars and hopital billed us for the remainder.

desi485
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
IV is really a great platform for immigration and immigrant related issues.
Hats off to all the founders and members for their contributions.

I want to let everyone know about the scam(s) being run by most of the Medical Insurance Company's especially for parents holding Visitor Visa's.

My parents visited US 3 months back and I have done good amount of research and after inquiring about various plan details got medical insurance from ICICI.
My parents paid around $1400.00 for 6 months.

The policy's name it self mentions Cash Less claim policy meaning
no payments/approvals required at the time of service and their US tie up United Health Care would take care of all the charges.

Unfortunately, my father had developed Heart Symptoms and on the advise of a family Doctor living remotely had to contact ICICI for finding out about any specific group to be visited.

We were told that, I need to pay the consultation charges and if it is more than deductible of $100.00, need to file for Claim.
I was ready for that but asked about any diagnostic tests prescribed, they had suggested the same pay and claim policy.
I argued with them about policy details and the ICICI representative was suggesting the same.
Later, I was told to visit a Doctor and send them Prescription for tests so that they would pre-approval.
At this point , I was pretty sure nothing is going to work out with this policy and it is a scam.
But still sent them all the test details.
ICICI never responded even after 2 weeks and kept on dragging requesting the same documents over and over.
Most ridiculous part was they operate without a Toll Free number and every time we need to keep on updating every representative.
Thank god with advise from my family Doctor, I sent my parents within a week.
After reaching India, my father was undergoing tests and one day suddenly developed severe Heart stroke and was rushed to hospital and got operated.
He is safe and stable now and is recovering.
Meanwhile, ICICI did come back after 4 weeks with a pre-approval, with $ 800.00 limit.
They dont have any pre-negotiated rates with any hospital in USA.
I asked how about United Health Care tie up.
They answered that United Health Care is a payment agency for ICICI in USA.

To put Long story short
Later, I came to know that most of my friends had same kind of issues with all the Insurance company's based out of India and some of UK and US.
So fellow immigrants beware of these Insurance Companies.
Iam not sure if any other insurance company, which fulfills their promises made for Visitors.
If so, please share.

Iam filig a case in Consumer court and trying to take it to media attention back home.
Infact, even it is not immigration related issue, thought of sharing with all the immigrants
as most of us do face this kind of issues.

came across this thread. Many thanks for sharing your experience with rest of us. Just curious if consumer court took any decision regarding ICICI?:mad:

mihird
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Parents came with insurance issued by ICICI-Lombard - Lombard is a Canadian company that has partnered with ICICI - maybe its different now.

Mom had an accidental fall in the kitched and dislocated her shoulder. Insurance paid for everything including paramedic trip & orthopedic surgeon.

Policy had $0 deductible...and had cost about Rs 13,000/parent for 3 months...
I had no problems dealing with the insurance company..

Here's the link...guess, they are still in business..
http://www.icicilombard.com/app/ilom-en/NRIs/Overseas/Overseas-Travel-insurance.aspx

kannan
01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
The most stupid thing to do is to take ANY kind of medical insurance from India. It won't work --even if it's from a branded player.

Also don't get stuck with sites (desi consulting like websites) who sell cheap medical coverage for visitors and considers everything as pre-existing conditions once a claim comes, and re-opens same with different names if their names gets dirty in online forums)

My suggestion is visit ur state medical insurance commissioners website, get all the providers in ur state, call each of them (esp. once which are like group health schemes). U may be able to able one, I was able to get for my parent(s) from ghc (it was a calamity coverage, works for me since it included almost a free doctor visit once a month or something --if we go to ghc's hospital)

The only catch is we need to call ssa office and get a letter stating that the person (parent here) is not covered in medicare part a & b (that's required for the insurance company to issue coverage without ssn)

gud luck!

I would like to know any insurance company or free services in Northern CA.This is for my mom who is in Visitor visa but soon going to apply GC for her through my sister.

ca_immigrant
01-11-2010, 08:35 PM
hmm...

I have my parents and inlaws visit a couple of times in the last 8 years...

5 times in total...every time I took insurance from https://www..com/

the first time I took limited insurance then after that I always went for comprehensive..

I have so far totalling all visits paid them 4 to 500 $ I bleieve but have never claimed anything (hope I never have to)

but again...after reading many threads like these...I doubt if any insurance is of help ?

I wonder if what shivarajan has suggested above might be the best...

shivarajan,
Can you tell us the approximate cost for this insurance ?

vin13
01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Parents came with insurance issued by ICICI-Lombard - Lombard is a Canadian company that has partnered with ICICI - maybe its different now.

Mom had an accidental fall in the kitched and dislocated her shoulder. Insurance paid for everything including paramedic trip & orthopedic surgeon.

Policy had $0 deductible...and had cost about Rs 13,000/parent for 3 months...
I had no problems dealing with the insurance company..

Here's the link...guess, they are still in business..
Overseas Travel Insurance Policy Online Plans For Senior Citizen – ICICI Lombard (http://www.icicilombard.com/app/ilom-en/NRIs/Overseas/Overseas-Travel-insurance.aspx)

This was my experience with ICICI-Lombard about 3 years ago. My father was admitted to the emergency. When i called ICICI-Lombard, they mentioned that we had to pay all the expenses to the hospital. Submit all the receipts to the ICICI-Lobard office in India (when you return). They will evaluate and let you know what can be reimbursed.

2 issues with this situation.

1) You need to pay the bills and hope insurance will reimburse.
2) ICICI-Lombard doesnot have any negotiated price for the services. As we all know if the insuarance company is not involved in the rates, the hospitals bill you 2-3 times higher.

General advice - Do not buy health insurance in your home country. Find a local agent and make sure the hospital can bill the insurance company direct and you pay only the deductables.

thomachan72
01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
interesting but scary discussion. For these cases health insurance in canada is much better. I remember one of my friend's motherinlaw from africa on a visit developed extremely high blood preasure and she was rushed to the ER. If I remember correctly the total expense for 4-5 days turned out less than $1500.

BPforGC
01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Get over with it. I work in healthcare industry and almost everything you get in US is available in corporate hospitals in India and costs less. Say, Apollo or Breachcandy, you get same quality and expertise. Of course, you have to pay pretty quickly in India.

Second, NEVER ever sign on the admission forms when you take your parents to the hospital. Let them sign, either your mom or dad. Even if they have skimpy insurance from India, thats OK. Let them sign. If it is an emergency, as with my uncle, we did not sign while he is being admitted. My aunt signed the papers. We were saved from Bankruptcy because of that. Had we singed, the hospital would have come after us for bills which totaled $150,000 for 12 days of hospital stay. They still send bills to India and to the insurance company in India, but atleast we are not in soup. My uncle responded saying that he could afford $15 monthly payments from his pension and since his income counts below the poverty line, they stopped sending the bills (incidentally, they cashed the first $15 draft he sent them from India....)

In many states, if your income is below the poverty line (it will be if we convert their pensions into dollars, say 500 dollars a month is the income), they cannot force you to pay and hospitals have to eat the bill as indigent payers, which we also call as "uncollectables".

Except for minor non-prexisiting conditions, the travel insurance is pretty much useless.
Unless you are a big 'neta' sponsored by the government or Karorpathi, forget about affording expensive US healthcare out of pocket. Its not worth it.

desi485
01-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I spent some time researching and reading about this. My parents are planning a visit. They did visit me in past. We have used bajaj-alliaz but never had to file any claim. They are in age group of 65-70.

ICICI Lombard has two plans on offer ranging from 42K INR for gold and 62K INR for platinum plan (covers both of parents). Good thing is that they do mention that they cover pre-existing condition atleast for life threatening conditions. It is a travel insurance and not just a health insurance.

IMG Global offers some plans (patriot something) that comes to around 1500 USD (for both of parents) for 6 months with 2500 deductible. They do not cover any so called pre-existing condition.

Though I do not expect any hospital visit and there is no such pre-ex condition, one never knows what is coming. What I am afraid is getting genuine claims, if any, getting rejected with xyz reason. (it was interesting to read the fine print about pre-existing condition - I am no legal expert but looks like virtually any thing except an accident can be counted as pre-existing condition. I really hope I am wrong here). This is what happened to lot of people as you can google for reviews.

PLEASE SHARE ANY EXPERIENCE OF CLAIMS with any such insurance in past.

on a side note, I checked with kaiser permenente and premium for one person is around $700 per month with 5K deductible. I am sure there would be other issues like proof of previous insurance etc.

I am willing to pay more money to have that peace of mind...but seems there is nothing like a full proof method.

addsf345
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Get over with it. I work in healthcare industry and almost everything you get in US is available in corporate hospitals in India and costs less. Say, Apollo or Breachcandy, you get same quality and expertise. Of course, you have to pay pretty quickly in India.

Second, NEVER ever sign on the admission forms when you take your parents to the hospital. Let them sign, either your mom or dad. Even if they have skimpy insurance from India, thats OK. Let them sign. If it is an emergency, as with my uncle, we did not sign while he is being admitted. My aunt signed the papers. We were saved from Bankruptcy because of that. Had we singed, the hospital would have come after us for bills which totaled $150,000 for 12 days of hospital stay. They still send bills to India and to the insurance company in India, but atleast we are not in soup. My uncle responded saying that he could afford $15 monthly payments from his pension and since his income counts below the poverty line, they stopped sending the bills (incidentally, they cashed the first $15 draft he sent them from India....)

In many states, if your income is below the poverty line (it will be if we convert their pensions into dollars, say 500 dollars a month is the income), they cannot force you to pay and hospitals have to eat the bill as indigent payers, which we also call as "uncollectables".

Except for minor non-prexisiting conditions, the travel insurance is pretty much useless.
Unless you are a big 'neta' sponsored by the government or Karorpathi, forget about affording expensive US healthcare out of pocket. Its not worth it.

Don't the sponsors have to sign on Form I-134? Wondering if this is counted as public charge or not? What does the law say?

vin13
01-12-2010, 04:49 PM
ICICI Lombard has two plans on offer ranging from 42K INR for gold and 62K INR for platinum plan (covers both of parents). Good thing is that they do mention that they cover pre-existing condition atleast for life threatening conditions. It is a travel insurance and not just a health insurance.

PLEASE SHARE ANY EXPERIENCE OF CLAIMS with any such insurance in past.

Here is the catch....

ICICI Lombard may say that they cover pre-existing condition atleast for life threatening condition. What that means is that they will bring back the patient to a stable condition but will not treat the pre-existing condition.

Let me explain with an example, lets say the patient is experiencing severe pain due to a pre-existing condition and is admitted to the ER. They will only cover the expense to stablize the patient. But will not reimburse to treat the pre-existing condition. The patient may have to quickly go back to the home country to get any operation or treatment of pre-existing condition.

krishmunn
01-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Don't the sponsors have to sign on Form I-134? Wondering if this is counted as public charge or not? What does the law say?

134 for a Visitor Visa is not worth the paper on which it is printed. The VO probably put it in trash immediately. In any case , it is not shared with hospital

krishmunn
01-12-2010, 05:08 PM
General advice - Do not buy health insurance in your home country. Find a local agent and make sure the hospital can bill the insurance company direct and you pay only the deductables.

There exist none. Even if the hospital bill them, they will not pay on one pretext or other

NONE of the companies offering travel health insurance are regulated by the Insurance Department and give a damn. The only way to get money from them is to sue them (in US) or complina to Insurance Ombudsman (in India)

ca_immigrant
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I am no expert....but looks like here is how an insurance company operates...

Number 1 rule for visitors insurance....They do not want to pay Period !!

Someone needs to fight with them to get the money...

one of my friends gave me an advise (not sure how far it is true...but sounded logical to me)

always have visitors insurance (now I donot know hwich is the best, but so far I have taken insurance for parents and in-laws 5 times and as I said earlier it was with IMG global..never used so far and hope will never have to)

If there is a need always take your parents to the state hospitals...or is it called county hospitals ?

In these hospitals majority of the patients are without insurance..so if you go there with insurance you are among the very few....these hospitals will then take care of fighting the insurance companies (remember in most cases they have non-insured patients who have no money so the hospital has no one to go after)

Also, from whatever research I have done so far...
take parents to hospitals only for major issues...for small ailments like cold...fever or something small take them to walk in clinics in walmart....I guess they charge 40 or 50$....no hassle of dealing with the fraud insurance companies...again this is for non pre-existing conditions...

unluckily if u have a pre-existing condition....after the insurance company says no....try speaking to the hospital...
tell them that u want to pay and to come out with something workable rather than giving u a huge number which u cannot pay and they get nothing....it seems (again no first hand experience) you will straight away get a 30 to 50% discount....

when I bring my parents or in-laws here the idea is not to steal some hospital of its money...it's so that they can have a good time here with us and so can we....

also, as I said earlier i am no expert...just my thoughts...

cthd
01-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Keep following up with insurance company. They dont want to pay, and they have panel of doctors to decide the illness is pre-existing or not...They will find a way to mark it pre-existing...

My mother-in-law had a slight fracture in her hand after falling down in Kitchen.. it took more than 1 month for the insurance company hired doctors to finalize that the condition was pre-existing... and 3 months to finally receive payment..

Second/Third visit to doctor was paid by Insurance company directly as it was already established case.

joeleitz
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, at least your Uncle was treated and not denied treatment - I'm actually surprised that he was treated if he was insured with an Indian company. That's a very good point you make though, that you should really think twice about signing documents like that yourself because you then become liable. Thanks for the interesting info. I wonder if US plans that provide a medicare supplement (http://www.medicaresupplementshop.com/) to seniors is of much use in India? Is American insurance recognized if you travel there or do Indian hospitals prefer Indian insurers? Would supplemental plans pay out any more than travel insurance does?

narendra_modi
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, at least your Uncle was treated and not denied treatment - I'm actually surprised that he was treated if he was insured with an Indian company. That's a very good point you make though, that you should really think twice about signing documents like that yourself because you then become liable. Thanks for the interesting info. I wonder if US plans that provide a medicare supplement (http://www.medicaresupplementshop.com/) to seniors is of much use in India? Is American insurance recognized if you travel there or do Indian hospitals prefer Indian insurers? Would supplemental plans pay out any more than travel insurance does?

How does these illegals get treatment ? Just walk in the hospitals with status as illegal, no doc. Give XYZ address. Get treatment & you are done. They will keep sending the bills/claims to xyz address with ABC Name, after some time they will get tired & stop. Does not matter the amount, even its 500K..Itsn't it good?