PDA

View Full Version : new form DS 160 for visitor visa - please help

praveenuppaluri
02-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Hello all

starting Jan 19th 2010, all the previous forms for non-immigrant visa (DS 156, 157 and 158) are removed and one single form DS 160 is introduced. I am trying to fill that for my parents and this form is an online form and one of the questions in page 1 is "your full name in native alphabet". I remember filling that for my H1 previously where I take the printouts and write my name in that box in my native language. the new form however doesn't let you save or move forward with an empty box. the only other option there is "do not apply" and not sure if that is the right way of doing it (right now its the only way I can fill this form)

anyone who filled this form recently - can you please share what you did?

Thanks
Praveen

nmdial
02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I'll be applying for my wife's and my visa stamping and therefore did some research on this issue myself. I believe that we'll need to print out DS-160 as well and take it to the consulate, the same way we did with previous forms. We can, therefore, write our names (or whoever is the applicant) in our native language on it.

praveenuppaluri
02-21-2010, 04:30 PM
nmdial

thanks for your response. did you print the DS 160 ? I tried that but it wouldn't save it in pdf (like older forms). I didn't try to print the webpage itself.. what did you do... please let me know.

Thanks
Praveen

I'll be applying for my wife's and my visa stamping and therefore did some research on this issue myself. I believe that we'll need to print out DS-160 as well and take it to the consulate, the same way we did with previous forms. We can, therefore, write our names (or whoever is the applicant) in our native language on it.

nmdial
02-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Dear Praveen,
I haven't yet printed out the form, however, the following page should help you. It is my understanding that you would be able to save the form locally in a format that can be opened only through the Department of State's website. Once you have completed the form, you would be able to print it out. Please check this site for further queries:
Frequently Asked Questions for the Online DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/forms/forms_4401.html)

Hope this helps,
All the best and regards,
nmdial

sac-r-ten
02-21-2010, 08:37 PM
I did this recently for my Parents in Laws. I checked the do not apply for native name. Also i don;t think there is an option to print the entire form, only the last confirmation page is to printed and taken for the interview.
The form once completed is saved in consulate's database, so they know what you have filled.

Hope this helps.

praveenuppaluri
02-21-2010, 09:02 PM
nmdial and sac-r-ten
thanks for your responses. I am going forward with "do not apply" option for now.

voicerj
02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Try Quillpad. its good you can type in english and translates in hindi then you can copy and paste it in the form.

gnutin
02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
If you have the native font installed on your system, you can type in native alphabet on the DS-160. I did this on a Mac and it was pretty straightforward. Simply choose the Devanagari-QWERTY font and type the name like you would in English and it did a good job. Another option is to copy-paste from a website that has your name in native alphabet. Wikipedia is your friend if you decide to do that.

praveenuppaluri
02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
voicerj and gnutin

thanks for the options.. just surprized that we must go through these procedures (like Quillpad, installing native font etc) to fill a form that is designed for people outside of USA, most with a non-english native language.

whats wrong with an option of 'blank' field and use the good ol' pen :p

thanks for your inputs. really appreciate it.

sheeba
03-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Indian applicants should check “Does Not Apply” to the prompt for “Full Name in Native Alphabet.”

refer the website
http://www.vfs-usa.co.in/USIndia/applicationformDS160.html

praveenuppaluri
03-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Sheeba, thanks for the link. came to the same conlusion as no other options are available but good to know there is are instructions that say so.

Indian applicants should check “Does Not Apply” to the prompt for “Full Name in Native Alphabet.”

refer the website
VFS (http://www.vfs-usa.co.in/USIndia/applicationformDS160.html)

nmdial
03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I filled the form a week back and checked, "does not apply". Hope that helps.

Ishay
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
My relatives, will be visiting from India. I cannot find anywhere what supported documents are required alongwith DS-160 during the time of interview.
Can someone tell me if this old list of supported documents still holds for the new format for visitor visa.
USA Visitor Visa - Sponsor Documents (http://www..com/visas/visitor/sponsordocs.html)
Thanks

sunnymit
03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah.. the list of supported documents on that link is still ok. However, really speaking those are too many documents and most of them are "just in case" documents - 4 pay stubs, 3 or 4 W2s etc. etc. But anyway...

gnutin
03-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes, that list is sufficient. I just sponsored a relative with the same set of documents and everything went smoothly.

AshokApex
03-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi ,
I am bringing my father and mother in law, can i fill for them online, , is there any issues?

Thanks
A-