PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance for Parents

ras
02-19-2010, 04:36 AM
I know this has been discussed zillion times on these forums. Parents health insurance is one big concern for many of our immigrant folks in here. Things have been changing and so does the insurance companies plans.

How are people on this forum opting for the health insurance companies?

A few suggested on this forum to get Insurance in USA for parents than in India. That would be good but how about the travelling insurance in that case. Does the USA company Insurance cover the parent travel too?

My father has pre existing health issues like Renal Failure. Now he is okay. So to say from insurance point of view he has pre existing health problems. So in that case will he be covered for any untowards health issues in USA under the plans? Even if it is little expensive we want to go for a comprehensive insurance plan that covers all the scenarios. Does any one have suggestions on the best way to go about this?

is it that we have to take the insurance before starting from India or we could take even after arriving in USA? Are there any separate health insurance plans for just travelling?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mmk123
02-19-2010, 07:40 AM
No insurance here covers pre-existing conditions. sorry... Others can correct me, but only india network plan covers emergency conditions that arise from pre-existing conditions.. at least better than nothing. Hence, plan accordingly. You can still get expensive plans with a better coverage but still they don't cover any pre-existing conditions. Regarding normal situations, one of my friends had good experience with them for one of the claims.. pls note, i have nothing to do with them and not a PR for them.

if you shop more, you should get a comprehensive plan that covers everything but will be interesting to see how affordable it will be..

hope this helps, good luck.

vin13
02-19-2010, 08:59 AM
I have had a bad experience working with ICICI Lombard insurance. Issues i had with ICICI

1) They do not have any rates negotiated with US hospitals. I have seen when your insurance does not have a negotiated rate, an emergency room can cost upto $5000 vs a negotiated rate of $1000 (based on real experience). But there is a cap on how much ICICI will pay for each kind of service which means my out of pocket would have been quite a bit.

2) ICICI will not pay directly to the hospital. You will have to pay the bills directly to hospitals in the US. Take the bills to India where it will be further evaluated. You could potetially sit with thousands of dollars paid and in limbo. I do not have that kind of money to shell and wait :eek:

3) For pre-existing conditions, they will only consider paying for any emergency situation. Once the patient is stabilized, the insurance does not cover for any cure of the pre-existance condition.

So my experience with indian insurance has been bad. I have not bought any insurance yet from US for my parents. But i am more inclined towards buying insurance in US even if i have to pay a little bit more.

mundada
02-19-2010, 10:31 AM
I am in similar situation as my parents are coming this year.

Couple of years ago there was a "no question asked, including pre existing condition" insurance, though expensive but it covered everything. However, this time when I talked to insurance consultant, it appears few people misused the insurance to the extent that the company went bankrupt. This is what she said: let us say the patient needed bypass surgery. The patient would buy one month insurance and return ticket. This would cost him $2000. Upon arrival in the US, he would complain about chest pain. Then pay $1000 in deductible and get bypass done. The total cost $3000!

However, because of this misuse geniune people do not have this option anymore.

Here is what I am thinking:
1. Buy Atlas America insurance. This covers pre existing condition upto $15,000. This also gives us negotiated rate with hospitals in the US.
2. Addon foreign travel on Mediclaim or other insurance that they currently have in India. Opt for Rs. 7 lakh deductible. This should lower the insurance cost. Also, try to talk to the insurance company and see if it will reduce rate further because its is secondary insurance.

Let me know if you guys see any hole in the logic or you have better alternative. I would rather pay more in insurance and enjoy my parents stay then worry throughout their stay.

roseball
04-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Folks,

Appreciate any feedback on personal experiences with visitor's medical insurance coverage. My in-laws are planning to visit this summer and I am trying to see what would be the best available option out there based on your recent experiences. There are plenty of options and I am trying to find one which the hospital/doctor can file a claim directly to or which have negotiated rates and are easy to deal with after we file a claim for reimbursement. I have read that buying insurance in US is preferred over buying from India. Any comments on that appreciated as well.

Thanks for your feedback.

krishmunn
04-25-2011, 05:22 PM
I have had a bad experience working with ICICI Lombard insurance. Issues i had with ICICI

1) They do not have any rates negotiated with US hospitals. I have seen when your insurance does not have a negotiated rate, an emergency room can cost upto $5000 vs a negotiated rate of $1000 (based on real experience). But there is a cap on how much ICICI will pay for each kind of service which means my out of pocket would have been quite a bit.

Was this a recent experience ? ICICI claims to have a network through United Health Care; not sure if it is true .

As for US v/s India, none of the US insurance companies selling these travel health insurance are licensed and regulated by US authorities. Most , if not all, of these are underwritten by carriers at Lloyds of London.

I would say there is not a single travel insurance company (US or India) which provides good service.

shivarajan
06-04-2011, 05:41 AM
beware: all fancy insurance coverage (which supports some of other forums) are for the most part scam and/or accident insurance and not health insurance at all. They promptly might have paid petty claims here and there and that's it.

Pre-existing condition is more than what u think of, aka pretty much everything is a preexisting condition per them. (Just that you or the patient was not aware of it but the condition existed already, think about it). All these thingy covers is accidents like a slip/broken limb et el.

Once a big ticket claim(s) comes-in they won't get paid, and couple of them followed by few suits, they rename themselves with yet another fancy name and the process repeats.

stay away from these fancy crooks, who are same as desi body shops looking for avenues to make $$. Check ur local state's health insurance commissioners website, where are are ways to get nice/reputed insurance (american) for your parents (albeit u may need to struggle to get few letter from ssa office stating no medicare a/b avbl. for this person blah blah due to absence of ssn)

good luck!
:(

ps: It will be interesting to see if at all obamacare lives to see the light, how they manage to mandate visitor's health coverage at the port of entry (in 2014).

Brocksby
07-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Health insurance is major problem here in USA as the fees related to health are very high and a person with out health insurance would die as no hospital will be willing to provide medical treatment to such patient.

nvijay78
07-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Health insurance is major problem here in USA as the fees related to health are very high and a person with out health insurance would die as no hospital will be willing to provide medical treatment to such patient.
First of all let me say that this is not true. You will NOT die :). While the health system in the US is obscenely expensive if you are in an emergency situation the ER WILL treat you irrespective of insurance coverage. Which is one of the big complaints against illegal immigrants about draining social service budgets.

To answer your original question I used to remember something like seven corners covering pre existing conditions but it is SUPER expensive.

chikna
07-06-2011, 09:14 AM
I am on H1B. I am looking for Individual insurance for myself and my wife and daughter since May'111. I had insurance through my employer.

I have Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and Diabetes (110, started about 5 months ago). Two insurance companies denied already because of pre-existing condition.

Now I do not have insurance. Last week I went to see doctor and he advised me to do diet and excercise for 3 months and try again. :mad:

Suva
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Can't you enroll into your employer's health insurance again? As far as I know employer's insurance can not deny an insurance due to pre-existing condition.

I am on H1B. I am looking for Individual insurance for myself and my wife and daughter since May'111. I had insurance through my employer.

I have Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and Diabetes (110, started about 5 months ago). Two insurance companies denied already because of pre-existing condition.

Now I do not have insurance. Last week I went to see doctor and he advised me to do diet and excercise for 3 months and try again. :mad:

chikna
07-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Can't you enroll into your employer's health insurance again? As far as I know employer's insurance can not deny an insurance due to pre-existing condition.

I used to pay $530 and employer bumped up to $760. I declined because of high premium. Now I don't have a choice.

davidoff
07-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I used to pay $530 and employer bumped up to $760. I declined because of high premium. Now I don't have a choice.

$760 is notbad at all for whole family. Outside you won't get cheaper than that with all those benifits.

Suva
07-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I suggest without delay get into your employer's insurance. To stay in USA on H1B visa without health insurance is the most foolish thing to do.

waitingnwaiting
07-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Ramdev Baba can teach you Yoga and you can get healthy

thomachan72
07-07-2011, 04:41 PM

760 per pay check? or per month? If it is per month then there might not be anything better than that outside.

tven
10-13-2012, 02:32 PM
state waivers may be available beginning January 1, 2014 to provide affordable options (including pre-existing conditions) for those "lawfully residing" (basically here in the U.S. legally and the U.S. knows you are here) in the United States. Verification of your parents' status will be required to confirm they are "lawfully present."

In terms of Medicare, your parents would have to be 65 years or older and subject to strict eligibility requirements. They may be able to purchase parts A & B once they have been here for 5 years as per a five-year federal bar (waiting period) on immigrants being able to apply for Medicare.

So, the answer is that it looks promising but until January 2014, and depending on your state's
decisions regarding offering affordable health care and options to purchase low-cost care for immigrant populations, your parents may or may not be eligible for affordable insurance.

Some states do receive funds to provide medical service but are subject to the 5 year bar and some states do not recognize the bar at all. There are some provisions in place for "Humanitarian Immigrants" where someone can avoid the waiting period if they are refugees, have political asylum or are military, in addition to others.

I recommend you contact your individual state's healthcare authority to see what programs may be offered or are being offered or contact me and I can give you the contact information for your state.

Please let me know if you need further information so I can ensure you got what you needed.

Here is an example of what New York State offers as a guide to the basics:
Section 12B: Medicare and Immigrants | Community Health Advocates (http://www.communityhealthadvocates.org/advocates-guide/immigrant-concerns/medicare)

Here are some articles and sources I used to answer your question that may be of help to you regarding how ObamaCare/Affordable Healthcare Act affects immigrants:

Federal Programs for Immigrants Including Healthcare:
Overview of Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs - National Immigration Law Center (http://www.nilc.org/overview-immeligfedprograms.html)

How Affordable Health Care Affects Immigrants
Immigrants & the Affordable Care Act (ACA) - National Immigration Law Center (http://www.nilc.org/immigrantshcr.html)
ACA: Fact Sheets & Advocacy Materials - National Immigration Law Center (http://www.nilc.org/facts-health.html)
http://www.nilc.org/document.html?id=809

What Define Lawfully Present?
Definition of the Term Lawfully Present in the United States for Purposes of Applying for Title II Benefits Under Section 401(b)(2) of Public Law 104-193 [61 FR 47039] [FR 56-96] (http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/FR/HTML/FR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-22452/0-0-0-25044/0-0-0-25404.html)

GotFreedom?
10-14-2012, 10:32 AM

2) ICICI will not pay directly to the hospital. You will have to pay the bills directly to hospitals in the US. Take the bills to India where it will be further evaluated. You could potetially sit with thousands of dollars paid and in limbo. I do not have that kind of money to shell and wait :eek:

3) For pre-existing conditions, they will only consider paying for any emergency situation. Once the patient is stabilized, the insurance does not cover for any cure of the pre-existance condition.

So my experience with indian insurance has been bad. I have not bought any insurance yet from US for my parents. But i am more inclined towards buying insurance in US even if i have to pay a little bit more.

Thanks for the info..I was actually looking into that.

trramesh
10-16-2012, 08:51 AM
I bought insurance from New India Assurance Co., 7 years ago for my visiting parents. My mom met with a personal accident and passed away here. The insurance covered all expenses until repatriation to India except for a copay of $100/.

Ever since, we stay with them for our visitors.

rgds,
ramesh

pkak
10-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Applying Online for the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD2x87g6mJ0)

GC_NOT_SO_SOON
10-25-2012, 11:36 AM
My 82 year Dad is coming to visit me here next month and I was looking for visitor health insurance companies. There are not many who cover over 80 but INBOUND USA has a plan and looking for feedback if any of forum member tried this company. Bajaj Allianze in India also offering but not sure how good it will be. Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

frustratingGC
10-26-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm too looking out for visitor insurance, researched thru internet, seems Indian insurance companies are comparatively better than small US insurance companies...