PDA

View Full Version : fastest way to get documents to chennai

ca_immigrant
02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi Folks,

What is the fastest and perhaps a little economic way to get documents over to chennai (Tamil Nadu) or Calicut (Kerala) from here in San Jose, ca.

USPS has this service called Express Mail ($27.95) or Priority Mail ($12.95)
I guess USPS is claiming 6-10 days (guess no gurantee) to india.

Other couriers seems to be $70+ (FedEx, UPS, DHL)..

Anyone has had good luck with USPS ? or do you suggest the couriers mentioned above ?

Need to get docs for an interview for parents on Feb 26th in Chennai...

Thanks in Advance for your reply !!

cbpds
02-11-2010, 02:26 PM
you can send it via usps , it will reach in 10 days.

Disclaimer: Again there is always an element of risk in life :)

anzerraja
02-11-2010, 02:42 PM
PM Me.

Hi Folks,

What is the fastest and perhaps a little economic way to get documents over to chennai (Tamil Nadu) or Calicut (Kerala) from here in San Jose, ca.

Anyone has had good luck with USPS ? or do you suggest the couriers mentioned above ?

snathan
02-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Folks,

USPS is cheap and best...

There is one more thing even cheaper...

put it in a water tight bottle and throw it to the pacific ocean...and pray it will reach chennai.:D

krishmunn
02-11-2010, 02:59 PM
USPS has a guaranteed Express Service which is a tie up with Fedex. It is much cheaper then sending through Fedex directly.
USPS accept the package and then hand over to Fedex. Because of their tie up, they get the advantage of bulk rate form Fedex and pass some of the saving to Customer.
On a flip side, it takes one additional day then if you hand over to Fedex directly.

Check usps.com for details.

lifestrikes
02-11-2010, 03:16 PM
6 Months back I had to sent visa stamping documents to Tricy and had just 10 days ( 6 working days) to get the documents there.

I went to USPS and tracking was bad.

You can track the package till it enters India and after which they use Indian Postal Service Express service locally. So, there was no tracking available from Mumbai to Trichy.

About 1 Week after they received the package, USPS website updated saying package was delivered.

Sent Package on Saturday Afternoon and they received it on Thursday.
If you need piece of mind and track the package all the way, go with Fedex

2 Weeks back my teammate sent Visa documents to his parents through Fedex

Fedex : ( Friday Evening and reached them on Thursday Evening) - Paid $102

belmontboy
02-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Folks,

DHL. Costs 45$ flat rate. Take about 3 working days

mdcowboy
02-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi Folks,

I had no issues with USPS. Used them thrice to send docs to Chennai. It goes within 7-10 days. They give you a tracking number also, but as one of the other members pointed out, its difficult for you to track it.

gccovet
02-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi Folks,

concatct bombino@ NY, their boys fly to India daily basis.
GCCOvet,

rb_248
02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Scan and send the docs, if your parents have access to email and a printer. See if anybody is traveling to Chennai from San Jose. Send the docs along with them.

Hi Folks,

shivarajan
02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
my advice (from my experience)..if u do USPS Priority (India postal employee deliver it for sure), and chances r high that u may receive it in OPENED, MISSING, LOST (part of docs) state (we had this multiple times from different locations)

Strongly suggest NOT to use Priority unless u have had firsthand good experience!

Using USPS express was little different, fast, and prompt (guess they use some special delivery layer) :mad:

cbpds
02-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I sent via USPS priority which charged 11 bucks, it reached in 7 days.....the back up plan was to reschedule the visa interview dates. The original plan worked and all ends well !!

my advice (from my experience)..if u do USPS Priority (India postal employee deliver it for sure), and chances r high that u may receive it in OPENED, MISSING, LOST (part of docs) state (we had this multiple times from different locations)

Strongly suggest NOT to use Priority unless u have had firsthand good experience!

Using USPS express was little different, fast, and prompt (guess they use some special delivery layer) :mad:

ca_immigrant
03-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks Friends !

I have used the USPS service in the past twice and both the times the documents reached safely....I donot remeber which service I had used though...

anyways, since I was short of time this time I used FedEx , around 58$ upto 0.5 LBs (mine was 0.49 -;) ) it reached chennai in 3 days. ...my parents had thier interview got the visa and are now here....all izz well !!

Once again...thanks for the reply !!