PDA

View Full Version : POE for B2 (visitor's visa)

sac-r-ten
02-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I have posted this in the NC chapter forum, but anybody who has some pointers please do answers.

My in-laws are visiting next month.They are planning to take a Mumbai - NY or Newark - Charlotte flight and i had few questions,
1. Do they do immigration at NY/Newark or at the destination(i.e charlotte)?
2. On NY/Newark, do they have to get their checked-in luggage and again load them in the Charlotte flight?

appreciate all the help,
thanks.

jindhal
02-09-2010, 04:11 PM
The port of entry is the first airport that your in-laws will land at. In your case it will be EWR/ JFK. The baggage has to be claimed, passed through customs and then rechecked in. There is a counter just after you pass customs at both JFK and EWR that lets you check in the baggage. You dont have to put another tag or anything. The baggage handlers use the existing tag information to forward your bag to the corresponding airline.

va_dude
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM
1. They have to do their immi-check at NY/NJ. It's always the first city you land in the US (unless flying in from canada).

2. I think they would have to get their bags and go thru customs and then check them in for the domestic flight. Can't entirely remember how this process works.

thomachan72
02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
I have posted this in the NC chapter forum, but anybody who has some pointers please do answers.

My in-laws are visiting next month.They are planning to take a Mumbai - NY or Newark - Charlotte flight and i had few questions,
1. Do they do immigration at NY/Newark or at the destination(i.e charlotte)?
2. On NY/Newark, do they have to get their checked-in luggage and again load them in the Charlotte flight?

appreciate all the help,
thanks.

They would first pass through customs (immigration counter) at NY. Once they are cleared they would then proceed directly to the bagage collection area and collect their checked bags and immediately hand it over to the connecting flight airlines. They are located at the exit point from the baggage collection area. After depositing the bags they then proceed to the terminal for the onward flight to Charlotte.
Advice them of the carryon baggage restrictions etc so that they dont face delays.

sac-r-ten
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
thank you jindhal,va_dude,thomachan72 .