PDA

View Full Version : Changed the company, re-entering using Advance Parole

Springflower
02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a quick question on reentering using Advance Parole.
I used AP once to reenter in 2009. At the port of entry, he asked me “Do you work for the same GC sponsoring company?”
I was and I answered “yes”.

I am planning to use AP to renter USA again in March, 2010.
Now I am not working for my GC sponsoring company.
At the port of enter if get the question “Do you work for the same GC sponsoring company?”
Can I answer “No”?

What other questions can I get? Do I need to carry a paystub from the new company?

I appreciate if somebody can share their experience about this (it would help other too).
If this question has already been answered, please paste the thread.

Thank you.

psaxena
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Where do you have to fill this info? I would be in the similar situation, if I travel this year.

Hi Guys,

I used AP once to reenter in 2009. At the port of entry, he asked me “Do you work for the same GC sponsoring company?”

At the port of enter if get the question “Do you work for the same GC sponsoring company?”
Can I answer “No”?

What other questions can I get? Do I need to carry a paystub from the new company?

I appreciate if somebody can share their experience about this (it would help other too).

Thank you.

Springflower
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
You don't fill it in any form.

This is the question usually asked by the person at the port of entry (when you give your passport and Advance Parole).

I want to know other people experince in this regard.
Changing the company and using AP to reenter would be very common situation I think.

vhd999
02-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I have changed my GC sponsor company. But I was never asked this question in any of my 5 trips to India in the last two years.

That does not mean they won't ask at all.

I guess you should answer 'No' and explain why is that still legal and carry all the AC21 documentation.

u.misc
02-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi Guys,

Can I answer “No”?

Thank you.

Good Point. Although this is not one of the most common question asked at POE but you should be prepared for this.
A Employment Verification Letter issued by HR department of your current employer + a recent paystub should be more than enough.

Springflower
02-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Vhd999,

Thanks for the reply.
I think it depends on the person at the counter.

Did he ask you any question at all when you are reentering using AP in all your trips?

Thanks.

axp817
02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
My understanding is that when you switch employers under the AC-21 provision, your GC "sponsorship" gets carried over to the new employer. So technically speaking, yes, you are working for your GC "sponsor", but you might want to explain that sponshorship has been transferred to the new employer, than just say, "Yes, I work for the GC sponsor".

Documents that would help make your point are,

- AC21 letter, if it was filed.
- Employment verification letter.
- AC21 memo issued by the USCIS that explains this in detail.

Some of this might be overkill, but I always carry these on me, when I travel.

And no, I have never been asked this question before, on any of my trips where I used the AP to enter.

Hope this helps.