PDA

View Full Version : Passport expiry when returning on AP to US

maushah
01-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Have a question for friend's wife in the below situation:

- Has an AP that is valid till Nov 2010
- Has Indian passport that is expiring on 19th march 2010 (cannot renew in India as the process is 2 months, she will renew this in the Indian consulate in San Francisco on returning to the US)
- Has H4 visa (not stamped on passport) till Sep 2011

Her current return date to the US is 5th Mar 2010 have the below clarifications:

- Will there be an issue with the entry into the US if the passport expires within 14 days but AP is valid till Nov 2010? If so should she come back a month prior?
- If passport is renewed after she returns to the US, is there any process required to renew the I 94 for future travel or ensuring she is legally allowed to reside in the US?

LondonTown
01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
My son was in similar situation (on H4). His H4 was valid for for around a year and his passport was expiring in 2 months time. At POE his I-94 was given till the expiration date of passport.

After getting his passport renewed we contacted/visited several CBP defferred inspection sites few said that you have to re-apply for H4 (539) but one CBP officer issued a corrected I-94.

In your case since the passport is expiring pretty soon after entering the country-- try to find more information about 'TATKAAL SCHEME' by which you can get the passport renewed in India very quickly (I have personally not used it).

dealsnet
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
You can get renewal in 3 days with tatkal scheme.
See the link.
Tatkaal Scheme (http://passport.gov.in/cpv/TatkalScheme.htm)

OR CONTACT A GOOD TRAVEL AGENT IN INDIA.

- Has Indian passport that is expiring on 19th march 2010 (cannot renew in India as the process is 2 months, she will renew this in the Indian consulate in San Francisco on returning to the US)

Her current return date to the US is 5th Mar 2010 have the below clarifications:

- Will there be an issue with the entry into the US if the passport expires within 14 days but AP is valid till Nov 2010? If so should she come back a month prior?
- If passport is renewed after she returns to the US, is there any process required to renew the I 94 for future travel or ensuring she is legally allowed to reside in the US?

minimalist
01-26-2010, 09:53 AM
With AP, they give the paroled until date as 1 year from the date of entry.
My spouse reentered with AP and passport with expiry 2 months away just 2 days back.

k_usa
01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
I entered in Aug '09 using AP and my passport was expiring in 5 months..but they stamped my I-94 for a year from the date of entry